Why would you buy an RX-7?

I would love to hear anyone's feedback on this article. Please let me know what you think of it. If I don't respond until after this weekend it's because I will be at Road America for the Midwest Rotary Rendezvous. Me and my 7 wouldn't miss this event for anything.

:)

I'm over at the rx7club.com and will have to of course sympathize completely. My rexes are money pits, but that's just cause there's so much to do to it and so many options. Most of the time results in importing s*** from Japan. hehe.

I got none of mine running right now, out of coincidence I guess. 88GXL needs a driveshaft and u-joints: gettin the mazdatrix treat.
89 GT-X needs a motor, think I blew the water seals. sucks.
89 Widebody runs but it's at Rotary Power in LA waiting for my final word on where I want to take that project.

Soon to come, 90 GTUs with 84K. All it needs is suspension and wheels. Both of which I have already. I got JIC full blown coilovers and several staggered fitment wheels. The GXL will be traded for some car stuff or something inevitably to some vendor.

Not only these rotaries but I've owned quite a few other n/a's and turbos. Always in the constant pursuit for the perfect one. It just spread to finding the perfect n/a and then the perfect Turbo2. s*** I went damn near Mazdic Crazy.

Since then I had to get a supercharged miata and use the protege5 for commuting purposes. I swear I'm a driving Mazda advertisement and it's all cause of their handling prowess. Even in FWD vehicles. No power in the n/a form but they sure do handle nicely and feel solid.

Oh yeah, still have my first Mazda "93 Probe GT" hehe. I've been in denial since the day I bought it. I just keep looking at the engine and drivetrain, although Ford did great in the exterior styling. A great hybrid nonetheless.

Nice to see rotarists,

Rishie

CONGRATS ON THE ANNIVERSARY. How many miles you got?

even though i dont own an rx-7 yet, i can understand the love rotary nuts have for their cars. if you want a reliable sports car, go buy a new C5 or something. but you pay the price for those few years of reliability. besides, with engine technology so advanced nowadays, i believe people have gotten into the habit of slacking on maintenance. which is why rotaries get such a bad rep...rotaries are only for a pure enthusiast. do i make any sense here?

why would i buy an FD?

cause you're squeezing so much power out of a force fed 1.3 liter engine.
cause you've got 50/50 weight distribution.
cause its RWD
and last, but definitely the most important...its a ******* beautiful car.

i know if i had an FD, id wear the linings of my pockets digging for change to keep it in top shape. but i know it would be worth every penny.

cause you're squeezing so much power out of a force fed 1.3 liter engine.

correction: the 13B is a 2.6l engine...1.3l per rotor. can any of you guys confirm that?

im still learning more about rotaries...

No, it's 1.3 liters... hence the 13 in the engine name...
12A 1.2 liters
13B 1.3 liters
20B 2.0 liters

I own a RX-7 (5th edition) and the only reason the engine blew, is because I failed to properly take care of it. I blew an apex seal on the forward rotor, it happened because I was racing a 5.0 stang down the interstate, and I had a small hole in my radiator. The engine got a bit too hot, and blew the seal. Before that, even though I had only changed the oil once during the 25k miles I put on it, it ran fairly strong.

I've seen a 87 TII with 260,000m on it and only one rebuild. These engines will last a while, if you drive it like a sane person(ya right!!!) and take proper care of it(oil changes etc..)

I LOVED my 7 when it ran, and wouldn't take a second thought about buying another one. Currently I'm rebuilding mine to be a show/demo car for my business(car stereo/specialty car body work).

The whole idea of the Wankel (hehe, i love that name) is just amazing to me.. and the fact that I own such a rare car(well, rare if you compare the piston:rotary ratio) is just so cool.

Currently, I'm purchasing a protoge5(which is why i came upon this forum in the first place), which may be a piston engine, but it's still a mazda, and looks pretty pimp. Hopefully I'll be able to drop a new 13b TT in it, in a few years or so... or maybe just supercharge it :p

Proud of you son

Rotary Tempest,

Following in my footsetps heh? As you can see from my signature I also own an '88 Anniversary edition Turbo II and I just bought a new Protege' 5 back in March. Does this make me a trend setter? Yes sir - I sure am proud of you son. I'm guessing you will love the P5. Great little car. And it's a Mazda so it's a blast to drive. Let us know when you get it!:) :)

I got to test drive mine today (probaby just going to get the one on the lot, red, 5sp, moonroof, etc...) and I absolutely fell in love with it. It was so smooth driving (compared to my 7, 53 chevy, and my 78 dodge truck) and shifted like a dream. I've read on the forums, that people are having problems shifting from first to second at high RPMS, but i had no problem with it. It may be a wagon, but it's still sporty.

Back