Why moog endlinks?

livewire516

:
2002 Mazda Protege 5
I'm replacing all four struts w/ blues. And I will also need to replace the front endlinks while I'm at it. I see a lot of people on the forums prefer the moog endlinks for the Ford Escape because they're supposedly cheaper and 'beefier.'

Are the OEM P5 endlinks prone to failure?

So with a little research I've found that:

Mazdamotorsports offers part no. LC62-34-170 (A and B) for $38.39 each.
Rockauto offers Moog part no. K80258 for the Protege5 for $18.71 each.
Rockauto offers Moog part no. K80104 for the 2002 V6 Escape for $11.69 each.

What do people try to get out of the Escape endlinks? Is it just that they're more robust or do they change the driving characteristics in some way?

On a side note, I plan to moderately (functional, not slammed) lower the car, and change the read sway bar at some point in future (as budget allows). I autocross occasionally, but don't take it too seriously. Should I consider adjustable endlinks? What indicates a need for adjustable endlinks?

here's the difference. note these only work on the front. If youre just lowering and not slamming, you shouldnt need adjustable endlinks. I have the msp racing beat rear sway bar and an eibach pro-kit, and the stock endlinks are the right length

Screenshot2012-08-12at120430AM.png

I'd be interested to know this as well, I've got to replace my back sway bar links soon and I had to do the very same thing on the last MP5 I had before it was totalled.. it does seem like it's a pretty popular replacement with these cars
What's the preferred replacement for them? OEM?

I see visually that they're clearly more robust, but is that extra thickness necessary? It is also unsprung weight. My endlink mount on the stock shock broke before the endlink under hard driving.

I'm not discounting what is being said, I'm wondering if endlink failure is an issue.

If you track it, get the escape endlinks up front. The beefy-ness means more stability, stiffer handling, and extremely less likely chance of failure in any way. For that cheap of an upgrade I don't see why you wouldn't want to do it. Slammed or not, these cars are built FOR curves, not to just sit in a mall parking lot to look pretty. Put the cheaper, stronger moog escape endlinks on the car and feel the difference in corners.

As for the rears, I've seen people use deeza. Not sure what other options there are

Thanks for the info everybody. I'll install Escape endlinks.

I've seen some issue with the grease fitting on one side, and people end up plugging it. Is that the only solution, or is there a way for both endlinks to continue to be lubricated?

Dont go with adjustable AWR endlinks they are absolute GARBAGE! I had them on my car and my car is lowered on Tein S techs and Tokico blues. The adjusting nuts come loose and eventually the Heim Joint threads strip out! ADjustable Endlinks = GARBAGE! If you put them on your car they end up failing and ruin your struts. Also i just recently bought the Escape Endlinks but the Grease Fitting didn"t clear so i actually returned them and bought Stock Duralast which Autozone claims is made by Moog. What size caps can i buy to fit in the Escape Endlinks to plug them?

if you're lowered 20mm or more then the later escape endlinks are better suited as they're 20mm longer than stock protege.

i work at autozone and most "duralast " parts are in fact a name brand company we have paid to put duralast over the box. moog makes most of the suspension johnson controls makes the batteries timken makes the wheel bearings/hub assemblies ect. its funny because most of the time the duralast part number and the manufacturers are very close or the exact same so you can tell.

Back