Wheel sizing question

:
2019 CX-5 GT-R
Hi all. I've done so much research and calculation that my head is spinning. I've used search and read and read. But, I'd like to know if anyone knows for sure if I can do the following:

Mount a Mazda 6 2014 17"x7.5" wheel with 50 mm offset and 225/65/17 tire on a 2019 CX-5 GT-R.

As you know, my car came with 19"x7.0" wheel with 45mm offset. And the sport came with 17"x7.0" wheel with 45 mm offset.

I've calculated an additional .45" of backspace. I'll take a look tomorrow, but I'm hopeful I have plenty of space even with the .45" reduction of room to the suspension components.

So, what do you say? Thanks!

Should be fine if the wheel clears the turbo front calipers. Currently have rx-8 wheels on our 19 touring, which has left VERY little clearance to front suspension, but there has been zero rubbing. Here’s the setup...

18x8
Et50
235/60/18 tires

Try using this site for your calculations:

Your wheel diameter may be a bit tad off with the 2 sizes based on:

1578051309877.png

I have used both calculators - and they are great for determining tire size based on rim size. But the real concern relates to backspacing and the room around brake and suspension components. The increased offset and the wider wheel put things 11.4 mm (about 1/2 inch) closer to those components. I'll need to check my current spacing to assure that I have that room - but hearing from folks like StickyGreen and real-life experience is gold! Thanks for the replies so far.

If 8" rim with +50mm offset works then your 7.5" rim with +50mm offset will definitely work.
8", 50mm offset = 151.6 mm backspacing (rim behind the hub)
7.5", 50mm offset = 145.25 mm backspacing

Agree, and additionally my tires are 10mm wider and a few tenths of an inch taller. Assuming of course your gtr and my touring awd have identical suspension...

The first website I posted allows calculations for fender/wheel well/suspension. Further down towards the bottom chart it also shows the optimal rim width size. It does also allow you to play with the offset values to see what the difference is based on current and new setup.

davmac, I'd agree without hesitation except for one issue. I've climbed under the car. At the front,, the strut has a triangular shaped gusset - which flares towards the hub the closer you get to the bottom. So, with a 17" rim running lower against the strut than an 18", it is closer to the wider part of the flare at the bottom of the strut.

If all were parallel, then your logic is perfect. I'm just concerned with the decreased room available for the 17" versus the 18" rim - and thus the reason for my question.

Information from Tire Rack does say that a 17x7.5" rim should fit; their website suggests a couple of rims that are 17x7.5 +50mm offset - and that builds confidence that I should be ok if I purchase the rims (from a private party...so no returns!). It's the triangular strut gusset that is the concern, though. Perhaps TireRack built that into their 3D models.

Still, it would be really great for one person to confirm that they have indeed mounted 17x7.5 +50 mm wheels without problems. Has anyone reading this actually done it on a CX-5 GT-R?

Appreciate the caution and analysis is fun but maybe it’s time for some field work?
Couple ideas: bring a floor jack and cordless impact wrench to the seller and check before buying.
Or an at home check with the same tools plus a stout piece of cardboard cut at 17” from center and a ruler.
Here is the thing: you have confirmed an 18” wheel with more backspacing works and a legit company will sell you an identical dimensions wheel. I’m guilty of this, so take no offense: sometimes I think the internet has made us a bunch of over informed idiots unable to make a decision. In the past we would have bought the thing and cried a bit later if it didn’t work or just pat ourselves on the back for getting a great deal if it did work. Man, I’m smarter in some ways and stupid in others.

davmac, no doubt the internet has helped increase paranoia! Would that I could - with respect to field work. Alas, the wheels are about 800 miles away from me. To your point, the fact that a legit company says their wheel of same size (17x7.5 ET50) will fit - GREATLY increases confidence. But, perhaps they didn't test the GT-R version of my CX-5 - and I do believe it's suspension is different than a Sport or Touring version. Worst case is that they'd say 'hmmm, should have worked and we'll take care of you with a different wheel or refund your purchase'. For me, I'd own them and cry in my soup.

I think I will take your suggestion on mocking this up and measuring clearances. That would be fun and assuming I measure well - will deny/confirm the fit.

So, I do plan on buying them if we can work out shipping/etc - but it always is a nice assurance when someone posts a 'same-same' to my description and says all is well! It's all about sharing - as surely someone else will need this information. If I go this route - I will surely post my results!

Back