Poll What's the main reason you became a Mazdas247 Member?

What's the main reason you became a Mazdas247 Member?

• I had a Question, Answer or Comment

Votes: 49 36.3%
  • I was in the market for a Mazda

Votes: 22 16.3%
  • I wanted to Sell or Buy something

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • Membership Benefits

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • My Friends are Members

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • To Learn about Mazdas

Votes: 64 47.4%
  • Community seems friendly, I like the "vibe"

Votes: 40 29.6%
  • I wanted to join a Community with Owners of the same model

Votes: 91 67.4%
  • Other (please post the reason in this thread)

Votes: 8 5.9%

• Total voters
I was originally a member of two other, smaller Mazda forums way back in 2004, not long after I bought my Protege. I would occasionally check in on this forum, but it was intimidating and I honestly, at the time, was wary about joining. This was by far the biggest Mazda forum and as I am sure Antoine will attest, there was a LOT of flaming (as we called it back then). And a large forum needed a lot of moderators to keep people in check.
I didn't know anything about Mazdas at the time, other than the fact that my little Protege was the most fun car to drive I had ever owned. I was hooked. The depth of knowledge and the number of really great members far outweighed the weirdos and a$$holes and this was home to me.
Eventually, I also started doing group buys and became a vendor---HID headlights (lol, remember those?), GT Spec, and the usual bolt-ons mainly. The most popular item I ever sold was the Simota Carbon Fiber SRI for the Mazda 3. That and an MSP Turbo Manifold that ended up being mostly a disaster and put me out of business.
Anyway, I lost my beloved ES to years of Pittsburgh winters and donated it back in 2015 to Southern Poverty Law Center.
I'm back now with a 2022 CX30 and even though the times have changed, I have to say, it's nice to be here again.
I remember those days lol...It's great you're still with us and Mazda, can you believe we've been around for 20 years now and the future has never looked brighter!

I hope you enjoy the CX-30, in my view one of the most attractive CUVs on the market.

Trying to find on the internet all sorts of stuff about my car, I had a Mazda cx-5 first gen. Long live search-engines! It was mazdas247.com all over the place!

I always join the most active forums for whatever cars I own or am looking to own... and in this case it was because there seemed to be no active community for the Mazda 5. Minivan owners usually aren't car enthusiasts. Sadly, it seems lately that almost all of the MZ5 activity has been in Facebook groups, and not really that much on the forums. I think it's hard for forums to compete with groups on Facebook now since practically everyone in the world is already on FB and just having forum-like interactions slipstreamed into your feed is way easier than logging into another site and participating that way, but you lose most of the organization and all of the reference capability.
Is this still the case? I hope not. Just bought a Mazda5 and really not a fan of social media. I so much prefer forums, where there are no algorithms constantly re-optimizing your experience to make it more addictive.

Is this still the case? I hope not. Just bought a Mazda5 and really not a fan of social media. I so much prefer forums, where there are no algorithms constantly re-optimizing your experience to make it more addictive.

Agreed, this is why I prefer to stick to forums as well. The FB groups I'm in always seem to be a big mashup of different types of content with little to no focus.

Hey, vinyl made a comeback, so I have hope for forums. I truly despise FB groups.
Me too I got banned from an aussie FB group of our cars, simply because the main admin is a wierd fellow and thought I was a passive aggressive person in my posts. lolll
My last post was a thank you post (FB) and then i got banned for a month then I eventually left the group.

Vinyl indeed <3

I ordered a new CX-5, will get it in 3-4 weeks. I traded in my pickup, and this will be the first time since 1975 that I'll be without a pickup -- I hope I made the right choice. But I'm retired and don't really need a truck anymore, although I know I'm going to miss it at times.

My truck is a '17 Tacoma, has zero nannies, and I'm not looking forward to having a vehicle loaded with them. The main reason I joined here was to get help figuring them all out.

So that's it for now.

FWIW: I'm not a FB member. :)

I like to know about my cars and how to fix minor (and sometimes major) issues, so I always join the forums. I'm just about to trade in my 2009 Ford S-Max 2.0 TDCi Titanium X for a 2015 Mazda CX-5 2.2D Sport Nav. I'm based in South London.

Looking for an online specific to the CX-5 (which should be here next week) similar to the one I have been a member of since I bought my 2019 Mazda 3 (which was traded in on the Cx-5), where I can look up how to's, accessory information and personal experiences with the car.

Looking for an online specific to the CX-5 (which should be here next week) similar to the one I have been a member of since I bought my 2019 Mazda 3 (which was traded in on the Cx-5), where I can look up how to's, accessory information and personal experiences with the car.

I'm 72, and this is the first time in my life that I've bought any car, truck, or motorcycle that I didn't already know how to drive. :(

Joined because I had never owned a turbo car before and been lurking for over 15 years. I learned tons from just reading and staying out of the fray the MSP boards could be when some of the myriad personalities would flex and the flaming was flinging everywhere! Reality TV via Mazdas 24/7 forums was somewhat amusing back then.

Life goes on and a lot of the younger crowd back then have aged-up, married, kids and changed vehicles so some threads are not quite the all night parties and daily info-sharing spigots they used to be. Forums beat FB hands down for technical information and search functions. Photobucket screwed the pooch and lots of pictures with good how-to information have been lost.

I still come 'home' to Mazdas 24/7 when I need to find info for caring/fixing/maintaining my wonderful, fun-to-me 20 year old MSP as well as my 1992 Protege.

Hope I didn't come off like a Progressive 'becoming your parents' commercial! 😦

Joined because I had never owned a turbo car before and been lurking for over 15 years. I learned tons from just reading and staying out of the fray the MSP boards could be when some of the myriad personalities would flex and the flaming was flinging everywhere! Reality TV via Mazdas 24/7 forums was somewhat amusing back then.

Life goes on and a lot of the younger crowd back then have aged-up, married, kids and changed vehicles so some threads are not quite the all night parties and daily info-sharing spigots they used to be. Forums beat FB hands down for technical information and search functions. Photobucket screwed the pooch and lots of pictures with good how-to information have been lost.

I still come 'home' to Mazdas 24/7 when I need to find info for caring/fixing/maintaining my wonderful, fun-to-me 20 year old MSP as well as my 1992 Protege.

Hope I didn't come off like a Progressive 'becoming your parents' commercial! 😦
interesting perspective, and the story reminds me of other forums i used to be on. one of the other ones i am on (not specifically for mazdas) used to be happening with posts and info all the time, but it's more or less dead nowadays. i came for the pizza. still waiting on the pizza.🍕:confused:

edit: color me stupid, but what is an MSP?

I'm 72, and this is the first time in my life that I've bought any car, truck, or motorcycle that I didn't already know how to drive. :(

Picked my car up on Halloween night. After a few months I've pretty much got everything figured out (that I care about). I do not have the Mazda app nor have I tied my phone to the car.

I like the idea of remote start, especially around here in the winter, but the engine shuts off when you open the door? Dumb. Extra wear and tear on battery and entire starting system -- plus I live on a dirt road in the woods so theft is a non-issue around here. But no options to bypass the engine shutting off so I never activated the Mazda app.

So far I've only had 5-6" max snow on the ground, so not sure how this car is compared to my truck getting out of my uphill driveway. Drove once on bad roads with several inches of snow/slush, but so far I think it'll be fine compared to truck.

It is nice in one way over the truck. With the truck you had to rotate a switch on dash to get 4WD, with the CX it's all automatic. It's a First-World comfort, lol.

Here's a great addition, an idea I got from Reddit -- maybe many of you already have one. With the center armrest being kinda too far back, and with storage space a bit lacking from what I'm used to, this item covers both negatives.

With a bulky winter coat it is a bit harder to snap the seat belt, but that's the only downside to this. Everything else about it is a plus. It does NOT shift around as I thought it might. The extra storage space is a great plus. https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Maz-armrest.jpg

I like the idea of remote start, especially around here in the winter, but the engine shuts off when you open the door? Dumb. Extra wear and tear on battery and entire starting system
Does the engine really shut off like that after a remote start? I'd have thought it'd only do that when you park after driving and get out.

Either way: For what it's worth, auto stop/start has been around for a while now and the tech is pretty mature. All relevant parts of the car will have been specced accordingly (robust starter, high capacity battery, tough engine bearings, etc.). Also, the system's control logic includes conditions in which it won't auto-stop (e.g. battery charge below a certain level). Not trying to convince you it's a great feature; personally, I'd sooner do without it and save a few pounds from not having to have such robust equipment. But I don't think you have to worry too much about wear-and-tear from this feature.

Back