What was changed in the engine (USA)?

:
CX5 '21 GTR
I've got a US version of 2016 CX5 that's rated 33mpg highway. I'm looking at current ones that run on presumably the same PY-VPS and they are rated at 31mpg. I'm also looking at the 0-60 numbers here https://www.zeroto60times.com/vehicle-make/mazda-0-60-mph-times/
It says 2016 CX5 is half a second faster than the current ones (7.7 is correct - I measured mine when I got it).

That's weird, seems like 2016 model had better mpg and was faster at the same time? What did they change?

Curb weight:

2016 CX-5 2.5L automatic
3,433 lbs (FWD) / 3,589 lbs (AWD)

2020 CX-5 2.5L automatic
3,541 lbs (FWD) / 3,679 lbs (AWD)

There have also been some changes to how it's determined.

2017 Ratings Changes
EPA updated its method for calculating the fuel economy shown on new-car window stickers starting with the 2017 model year.
EPA periodically updates its methodology to account for changes in vehicle technologies, driver behavior, and/or driving conditions. The 2008 changes (see below) were broad revisions to the entire methodology that affected every vehicle.

The 2017 change updates some of the calculations used to estimate fuel economy. The new calculations are based on test data from model year 2011–2016 vehicles. So, they better reflect today's vehicle fleet of more fuel-efficient vehicles and advanced technologies such as hybrids and turbocharged engines.

Most vehicles are not affected by the new calculations. Some fuel economy estimates will decrease by 1 mpg, and a small number may be 2 mpg lower.

That explains thanks...
That's like adding a permanent passenger, I wonder where exactly they put her

pre-2017 ratings weren't very realistic. 2017+ mileage estimates are much closer to what vehicles actually get. Hell, the old ratings for a 2.5L Mazda 6 had it at 37/hwy which was absolute BS

I believe from 2017+, Mazda added many pounds of insulation materials and thicker glasses, etc.
Noises had been a major complaints of Mazda vehicles prior to 2016. My 2014 Mazda3 is very noisy. My '16 Mazda6 gets better significantly. My '17 CX5 is even quieter.

May I also kindly ask where do additional 150 ponds come from in Reserve?
Is that turbine or it requires more sound insulation or smth?

2020 GRAND TOURING 3,679 (AWD)
2020 GRAND TOURING RESERVE 3,825

May I also kindly ask where do additional 150 ponds come from in Reserve?
Is that turbine or it requires more sound insulation or smth?

2020 GRAND TOURING 3,679 (AWD)
2020 GRAND TOURING RESERVE 3,825
The added weight is mainly from added turbo plumbing. Some from larger front disk brakes with dual-piston calipers. Even the larger spare is a bit heavier.

Back