What To Do at Lease End w/2015 CX-5?

Pipemajor

Hoot Mon!
:
Minnesota
:
2017 CX-5 GT AWD
My lease isn't up until May of 2017 but I'm still not decided whether to buy my 2015, get a new one or go for something else. It has only 11,000 miles on it and I really do like driving it aside from the annoying wind whistle I get starting around 35mph. Wife doesn't like it and we're nearing retirement with one of the 2 kids gone.

I upgraded to VLEDs everywhere but saved the stock bulbs so will likely swap the stockers back in before letting the vehicle go (if that's the route I decide to take).

I was really hoping Mazda would have their diesel engine available by the time my current lease is up but, given the issues VW admitted to, that appears doubtful. BTW, I let my original '91 Mazda B2600i go right before getting the CX-5 so I'm not really used to turning vehicles over often.

Renew the lease for a 2016! They're a big difference in interior design and tech. Plus I think they look much better. And the dealer may give you a discount for renewing a lease...

We'll see what happens in November at the auto show. If they upgrade the engine and actually upgrade a few more features then it's probably worth thinking about.

I will end the lease and buy a more comfortable car for your retirement life, CX-5 is fun to drive but some what under power. My car drive really bad before everything warm up(Transmission jerk, engine noise and etc), after warm up it will be so much smooth and quieter. 2015 cx-5 is not worth buying anyway, of course you can buy the car if you really like this car. I will say bring your wife with you and test driver the new cx-5 and see if you both like it or not. My next car will be Audi A4 or Ford fusion because I like to drive faster, I don't feel fun and agreesive when driving in a SUV for me. You can also check out the Ford Edge and Hyundai Tucson.

From a financial sense, you'd typically want to avoid leasing and/or changing vehicles too often.
Depending on the purchase price for the CX-5, it might be a good deal with only 11K miles. Compare it with the market price for the same vehicle from a dealer. However, you'd still want to keep it for ~6 years or so before replacing (and getting the next one for cash).

If you have strong feelings against this car, or you don't care about wasting your retirement money / children's inheritance then it is a good chance to get rid of it.

My lease isn't up until May of 2017 but I'm still not decided whether to buy my 2015, get a new one or go for something else. It has only 11,000 miles on it and I really do like driving it aside from the annoying wind whistle I get starting around 35mph. Wife doesn't like it and we're nearing retirement with one of the 2 kids gone.
I though one of the benefits leasing a car is you can enjoy getting a new car more often?! If you like to have another compact CUV, another CX-5 is a good choice among many and the brand new 2nd-gen CX-5 should be around the corner about the time your lease expires. Of course since you're approaching retirement, getting a luxury compact CUV such as Lexus NX, Jaguar F-Pace, BMW X3, etc. all can be your candidates for you next vehicle so that you can simply enjoy your life! Of course the key thing is picking up a car your wife prefers or at least agrees with!

Is money an issue? If so, keep it.
If not, get something fun/luxury/etc! I don't want one of my last vehicles to be an appliance on wheels.

Comparing 2016 Compact Crossover segment - we tested Tucson, Rogue and CX5. Rav4 and CRV were not considered, one due to looks and the other due to the fact that to get BSM you need to shell out an extra 2.5 K. Basically Toyota says we give you good reliability for an extra 2 grand. No thanks.

Tucson was the best looking but had DCT recall issues, the base engine is woefully underpowered 0 - 60 in 9 secs or so. Rejected.
Rogue was neck in neck with CX-5 - I think you can get SV with tech package for same as Touring with Bose - Rogue is comfortable but drive quality suffers. Plus you are just two.

If a crossover is what you want, non - luxury - I would say go for CX-5 but if price is not an issue - then don't. Shop luxury.

The new Tucson is like 3 different vehicles: base, Eco and upper trims. Yeah, the base engine should be skipped, but IMHO so is the CX-5's base engine ... The Eco, IMHO is the one to consider, and it is probably quicker than the CX-5.

The Rogue is only good on paper. Look at the details and see how it becomes undesirable: suspension, weight, CVT, handling, slow acceleration. MT rated it 8th.

The new Tucson is like 3 different vehicles: base, Eco and upper trims. Yeah, the base engine should be skipped, but IMHO so is the CX-5's base engine ... The Eco, IMHO is the one to consider, and it is probably quicker than the CX-5.

The Rogue is only good on paper. Look at the details and see how it becomes undesirable: suspension, weight, CVT, handling, slow acceleration. MT rated it 8th.

Eco uses the 1.6T engine with DCT. Hyundai has bought back a few Tucsons because of no go issues - you basically put your foot down and it goes 1 to 2 MPH. Thats risky. DCT in itself has been a failure in the United States except for high end manufacturers. A second issue has been transmission warming - not good for stop and go traffic at all. If you go to Hyundai forums there are threads titled Horrible Horrible DCT! with 90+ pages of people waiting on getting theirs bought back. Even more funny is the look on Hyundai dealers faces when they claim they have never heard of this. Lol.

If you want a Tucson wait for a year more to see how this pans out or you might be in trouble - but then again the Ford DCTs have had trouble 2-3 years afterwards as well that is the reason i test drove the base engine and it was a bit sluggish. I would never buy one even at 22500 OTD knowing this issue. If you do - ensure you get the Uber discount, just register and log in to the uber website in front of the dealer - easy $1000.

Rogue is a top 4 in this segment, for every CX-5 there are 3 Rogue's sold - I see the reason why - Rear AC vents / Good tech / Huge Cargo - in short very practical, although a lot of those are fleet sales but even for personal buys it beats the CX-5 by a mile. Having said that the reason i went with CX-5 is - I believe it will be a very reliable workhorse, more fun than Rogue and that 2.5L engine although not very powerful is in a ton of Mazda's sold world wide. Mazda would not bet all on a single engine if they were not confident. Plus I like the mileage, want to get an electric / hybrid as my next car and go solar as we start to use less water and reduce our footprint.

Back