What is the best Piggyback ECU to use for tuning? Dastek Unichip?

:
99 Protege Sport20 Rep'
Hello there! I just wanted to know if anyone out there have had used a Dastek Unichip Piggyback to tune a protege before?
looks like this! I have one but idk what i need to make this work...

On the other hand what are other options for me if i cant get this Piggyback to work? thanks guys.

From a quick google search looks like an old cheap unit. To get it tuned you will need to find an authorized dealer and pay them. I would suggest the ssafc if you have a laptop you can tune it but only fuel tables, if you want to play with timing you will need to go with a stand alone

Where in va are you?

Dam i doubt that theres a dealer here to make this work. hmmm Reason why i ask is becuase im gonna turbo my car and i need something to tune it with. my friend recommended me split second. and I live in the NoVA area.
From a quick google search looks like an old cheap unit. To get it tuned you will need to find an authorized dealer and pay them. I would suggest the ssafc if you have a laptop you can tune it but only fuel tables, if you want to play with timing you will need to go with a stand alone

Where in va are you?

Don't you mean mp3 ecu? There was a guy on here, spicedmsp IIRC, who flashed them. I think its you pay, he ships, you ship yours to him, he refunds you part of your payment. Don't quite me but thats my understanding. The mp3 ecu would smooth out the powerband and alter ignition timing. You'd probably (or would) Ned to run premium. But gas is so cheap in VA. its 3.7# here last I checked...that's for regular.

If you are putting in a turbo you will need an msp ecu. Your stock protege or mp3 ecu will cause huge problems. As far as tuning, ssafc is tried and true. You can also look into megasquirt.

Sorry. I can't read :S should have read instead of skimming. Continue with the regularly scheduled program! :D

He guys I am also going turbo but I have a question I don't understand the thing with the ecu can I run stock ecu with a piggyback, if not why? thanks in advance

You can but the stock Ecu will have no clue what to do with positive pressure and you will only be able to add fuel as more air goes in. Msp Ecu "should" retard timing as positive pressure builds and will add fuel you just go in and add or remove the amount of fuel it puts out. I say should because I'm not extremely knowledgable on the msp Ecu but I know the stock tune was garbage

Of course you can get the ssftc which will allow you ti retard timing but at that point you can spend a few hundred more and go mega squirt which will basically allow you to tune anything and everything and do away with all emissions bs rather than just being limited to adding and taking away fuel,And if you build your own board you can swap it to a different car when you're done with the protegr

Alright! So this is what i got after all this info....I can either go msp ecu and ssafc or stock ecu with mega squirt. Hmm ill have to think about which one will be better have to consult with my friend to see which one will be easy to use for him and be better for my car. Cant wait to get my lil snail installed.

If you are questioning the ssafc or megasquirt at this point, go with the msp ecu and ssafc. The megasquirt is not by any means a job for the novice or even mildly competent mechanic.

Dam just checked the prices of the mega squirt thingy and wow thats alot lol.
Think im gonna go with Msp Ecu and ssafc. think that would be good, im not trying to make a huge amount of power! as long as i can get it tuned right ill be happy! Thanks....Also where can i buy a SSAFC? Can i buy a used one? will it work? And if so, Know of anyone selling one? Thanks guys!!!

Or stock ecu + microtech :)

I'd argue microtechs better then megasquirt but im sure there are people who would argue the other way as well :)

oh well now this got interesting was checking the msp ecu and I believe they are two types, one for the auto trans and one for the manual tranny not sure if it matters, if it doesnt then there is no problem just ignore what I say after this, if not keep reading lol, so my car is auto for the moment but I will do the manual swap but later lets say September. So what should I do run stock ecu until tranny swap?

Msp did not come in automatic, thus you can only get a manual ecu. If you are trying to do an auto turbo with the map ecu, good luck. It is doable but a lot of trouble. Look up midnitehour on Toronto Protege. Probably easier to do the manual conversion

Back