What have you done to your P5 today?

pcb

The Diagram Dude
:
2002 MP5
,.. I wanted to try to find one of those OEM subwoofer units that fit into the spare tire, but It looks like the spare is mounted differently in order to fit into the tire, because there wouldn't be room for it on my car.

Just an FYI, the factory subwoofer has a different bolt to hold down the tire and subwoofer.
If you got that bolt along with an OEM subwoofer, you should be fine.

Screenshot_20220720-080904_DuckDuckGo.jpg

BenjiHoggi

OEM+
:
Oregon, USA
:
22v Protege5
Just an FYI, the factory subwoofer has a different bolt to hold down the tire and subwoofer.
If you got that bolt along with an OEM subwoofer, you should be fine.

View attachment 311750

Yeah unfortunately the piece I was looking at did not have the subwoofer as part of it. It was just the plastic tray. I thought I had previously seen that the belly pan thing that holds the spare tire on my car was actually differently shaped to the one that goes in a car with a subwoofer option. But maybe that tray thing gives it more of a gap to stick up above the spare? Not sure. I will do some more digging because I'm curious now.

Does anyone have one of those subs? Are they any good? Just curious.

Reactions: pcb

pcb

The Diagram Dude
:
2002 MP5
I found this thread about the OEM subwoofer,..

These are the missing schematics of mine from that thread.

The wiring diagrams I have are for the 2002 and 2002.5 year models.

The OEM sub option wasn't available until the 2003.5 model came out which included the subwoofer as an option.

Screenshot_20220721-150250_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

Some more info about our underpowered alternators,..

Screenshot_20220721-234907_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Last edited:

i12drivemyMP5

___ 323F ___
Contributor
Yeah unfortunately the piece I was looking at did not have the subwoofer as part of it. It was just the plastic tray. I thought I had previously seen that the belly pan thing that holds the spare tire on my car was actually differently shaped to the one that goes in a car with a subwoofer option. But maybe that tray thing gives it more of a gap to stick up above the spare? Not sure. I will do some more digging because I'm curious now.

Mine is 03.5 and does have the oem sub.....nothing super impressive and I think I can actually tell it's there under the flooring, the mat, and the cargo tray lol.....if you have the harness and oem audio setup then sure, why not, nice oem add-on feature. I actually scored an extra one years ago but not really looking to part with it.

i12drivemyMP5

___ 323F ___
Contributor
Lately been having noise out back while driving....not the dreaded klunk tho....different. Been buggin me like somethin will fall off or worse iffin I don't find it. Got under car and started looking around, nothing visually out of whack, not broken rear sway mount, nothing out of place. So I just started puttin a socket on all the GTSpec trailing arm mounts, reinforcement panel and then low and behold.....the vbrace mounts on chassis side and at reinforcement panel were not loose but definitely not tight like they had been 10 years ago when installed. I think and hope this was the issue. Haven't test driven it yet. I know the sound up front is the GTSpec lower tie brace. Those dang bolts are hard to get to and get any torque on to stay put like I need. Thinkin about just pullin it off and goin without it since the K brace would still be there.

undaneeth.JPG

Last edited:
Just been driving problem free for the last several weeks. I've had no water in the floors since clearing the cowl drains in the early spring, and tightening the air plenum bolt near the ac drain. I have been running some lucas through the fuel to help the injectors and my mileage seems to be just a tad better but may just be margin of error. I returned 31mpg on a 55mph hwy trip around 100 mile round trip and my work trip is getting me around 22avg. I think the ac compressor may be about to take a dump. I noticed recently it's started this clicking noise maybe 30 to 40 times/sec and it stops as soon as it comes off idle. It cycles with the compressor. it needs replaced amyhow as I believe either something near the line set or the front seal is leaking. there is ac oil all over it. early july I checked the pressures and ended up adding about 6 oz to it. It was cycling under even a heavy load. The electrics in this car work out in a way that the compressor coming on tanks my voltage for a bit as the clutch and fans come in so I was able to hear the inside blower slow some each cycle.

:
03 p5, 92 miata
very slowly getting her ready for the scrap yard :( . Pulled out the projector lights today. They may be up for sale if there is any interest. I will also be posting up gauge trim rings and a wiper stalk out of an escape which gives the adjustable intermittent wiper setting.

vLf5lokl.jpg

BenjiHoggi

OEM+
:
Oregon, USA
:
22v Protege5
very slowly getting her ready for the scrap yard :( . Pulled out the projector lights today. They may be up for sale if there is any interest. I will also be posting up gauge trim rings and a wiper stalk out of an escape which gives the adjustable intermittent wiper setting.

vLf5lokl.jpg
Awww sad 😢

I still want that TWM short shifter though if you still have it. Just let me know.

:
03 p5, 92 miata
Awww sad 😢

I still want that TWM short shifter though if you still have it. Just let me know.

I tried pulling it off but the bolts on the underside holding it on are so rusted in place. I may take one more look into getting it off for you but the amount of work may not be worth it. If the exhaust would come apart easily this would be simple. Let me take another peek after I wrap up work for the day

BenjiHoggi

OEM+
:
Oregon, USA
:
22v Protege5
I tried pulling it off but the bolts on the underside holding it on are so rusted in place. I may take one more look into getting it off for you but the amount of work may not be worth it. If the exhaust would come apart easily this would be simple. Let me take another peek after I wrap up work for the day
Gotcha, well major props to you for taking the effort to look into it again for me. I appreciate that on principle. Do what you can do, and no worries either way. Just thought I'd ask.

:
03 p5, 92 miata

Also, I have one of these subs in the p5 and it definitely made a difference! Since now scrapping the p5, I actually took it and the harness out of the car and put it into my miata. I cannot notice the difference as much since the small sub is now in the trunk separate from me rather than in the same cabin, but it does still make a difference. I can try and get my stud out of the trunk if you needed it. Not sure I want to give up the sub just yet.

:
03 p5, 92 miata
Gotcha, well major props to you for taking the effort to look into it again for me. I appreciate that on principle. Do what you can do, and no worries either way. Just thought I'd ask.

I didn't feel like working and took a break to investigate things. Ta-da! PM me and we can work out getting you some goods :D . I also have the leather TWM shift boot which I bought way back then. I also had bronzoil bushings and poly bushings, but ill leave those be in the car.

BenjiHoggi

OEM+
:
Oregon, USA
:
22v Protege5
Also, I have one of these subs in the p5 and it definitely made a difference! Since now scrapping the p5, I actually took it and the harness out of the car and put it into my miata. I cannot notice the difference as much since the small sub is now in the trunk separate from me rather than in the same cabin, but it does still make a difference. I can try and get my stud out of the trunk if you needed it. Not sure I want to give up the sub just yet.

Hmm, as much as that is tempting to consider, I'm at the point where I'm only wanting to spend money on my P5 to make it either drive better and be more fun or last longer. My sound system is never going to as good even as the factory systems in new cars, so why throw more money at it? That's the logic at least...

I didn't feel like working and took a break to investigate things. Ta-da! PM me and we can work out getting you some goods :D . I also have the leather TWM shift boot which I bought way back then. I also had bronzoil bushings and poly bushings, but ill leave those be in the car.

Wowww look at that, you did it. Nicely done! I was writing a post here but I'll go ahead and just PM you to avoid spamming this thread for everyone.

Here's a strange one. I did the front brakes tonight on my MSP. Finally got a chance to try the G-Loc brand pads. I'm using their performance street compound GS-1 (p/n GLCGP755-GS-1). The front discs are stock and I just had them turned and they are well within spec. The pads fit fine. I'm using the anti-rattle clips and springs properly. I compressed the pistons with a C-clamp vice grip.

HOWEVER - Now it seems the brakes are on all the time and squeaking crazy loud. I'll look at the brake fluid level tomorrow and re-check the bracket bolt torque, but has anyone experienced this and have thoughts on a solution?

UPDATE: I just pulled out some fluid so that the reservoir is slightly below "max" and the pads still scrapes due to constant contact

pcb

The Diagram Dude
:
2002 MP5
The pads fit fine. I'm using the anti-rattle clips and springs properly. I compressed the pistons with a C-clamp vice grip.
.., but has anyone experienced this and have thoughts on a solution?

My caliper piston boot had a tear in it and the piston rusted so the piston got seized in the bore when I pushed it in.
Did your pistons push all the way in smoothly or did it take more force for the last bit?

You may just need to "seat" the pads.
Maybe take your car for a spin and hammer the brakes hard a bunch of times and see if that helps.

My caliper piston boot had a tear in it and the piston rusted so the piston got seized in the bore when I pushed it in.
Did your pistons push all the way in smoothly or did it take more force for the last bit?

You may just need to "seat" the pads.
Maybe take your car for a spin and hammer the brakes hard a bunch of times and see if that helps.
Bummer. It's a low mileage PACNW car, so no rust or torn boots. Piston compressed easily. Took it for a few drives and it's like the brakes are on the entire time - SOOO LOUD. I'll have to revisit.

Bummer. It's a low mileage PACNW car, so no rust or torn boots. Piston compressed easily. Took it for a few drives and it's like the brakes are on the entire time - SOOO LOUD. I'll have to revisit.
How about the brake lines, Seems like I remember hearing that they can collapse internally and act like a check valve and cause this.

Finally after a year of just dealing with it, I got the windshield replaced. The prev owners must have never changed the wipers and made the wipe path look like they used sandpaper for blades. it also had two cracks spanning from left to right and top to bottom on the rh side. Going to be nice heading to work tomorrow and being to see the road better when cars approach me.

pcb

The Diagram Dude
:
2002 MP5
Watching that video, I have two comments - 1) I can't see a valid reason to remove the caliper from the hub. I didn't do it on mine and it doesn't allow you any more room to work.

I didn't do it on mine either.
I had to lift the knuckle up so far that the car lifted off the T-Stand on that side.
Then you crawl under your car with the car precariously perched above you.

Removing the brake caliper wouldn't give us more room to work, but it gives the LCA enough room to raise up horizontal without hitting anything while the car is still resting on the T-Stands.

Screenshot_20220914-172954_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, these GLOC brake pads are not working out and I'm tired of jacking up the car, removing the wheel and inspecting/changing something only for the pads to continue to squeak like the brakes are onthe entire time.

What is a street performance pad you guys like?