What have you done to your CX-5 today?

$100 per hour. My car was delivered Wednesday, so I only drove it 3 days, paint looked pretty good. My C8 only needed one hour of correction. Every car is different. When I took my C8 in last year they had one they had just finished, it needed 6 hours of paint correction.

I installed them myself, It's not wrapped, it's stainless steel coated in lacquer piano black paint covering the original trim with 3m tape. Perfect fit. I bought the 6pc kit just to cover the chrome parts since the top are already black.. It was at the time 80 bucks shipped.
I ordered these as well, fitment is 99% perfect, maybe a couple small blemishes in the black finish but nothing really noticeable. Problem is I got sent 2 rear passenger side moulding and am missing the drivers side rear. Of course that was the last piece I went to install so now it's the only chrome piece left. I contacted the seller through aliexpress, hopefully they can ship out the missing piece.

Picked it up from Chicago Auto Pros. Full front PPF, and Gtechnic ceramic coating on top. $4695. Yes it is a lot, you get what you pay for. Flawless install, paint correction and coating.

Attachments

• E63068A2-36B3-4126-9818-30031F2A71CB.jpeg
    E63068A2-36B3-4126-9818-30031F2A71CB.jpeg
    101.2 KB · Views: 104
Picked it up from Chicago Auto Pros. Full front PPF, and Gtechnic ceramic coating on top. $4695. Yes it is a lot, you get what you pay for. Flawless install, paint correction and coating.

Beautiful!

Really, on a CX-5?
I did the same thing for my brand new 2022 Cx5 as well, full front PPF for $3,400 bucks, I want my front end to not get beat up from debris and rock chips in less than a year of pure freeway driving..These cars and all modern cars used very thin layer of paint on them, so rock chips can make your car look bad really fast with thin paint flaking off your front end.

Looks great. They did a fantastic job. Wish I had the spare $$ to have this done. Will have to compare vehicles in a few years to see how well they've worn.

I really wish I had done full front PPF from a good installer when I first bought my CX-9. I only had partial hood and fenders plus full bumper and side mirrors done, so the front half of the hood looks good while the rear half has a few rock chips here and there. My next car will definitely have full front PPF at minimum.

I did the same thing for my brand new 2022 Cx5 as well, full front PPF for $3,400 bucks, I want my front end to not get beat up from debris and rock chips in less than a year of pure freeway driving..These cars and all modern cars used very thin layer of paint on them, so rock chips can make your car look bad really fast with thin paint flaking off your front end.
It just takes one moron in a parking lot to pernitrate the PPF. You should see all the cars parked on the streets in Chicago. If you find any without dinged bumpers, they're usually brand new. :)

Yeah the front end of my 2014 CX-5 hood looks downright terrible after 9 years of ownership. I also noticed some areas where something etched my paint. Going to have to clay this car soon and see what's up, but definitely could use a paint correction. That said I wouldn't pay much for it on a 9 year old car at this point that otherwise is pretty sound and taken care of even if the exterior is beat up.

I really wish I had done full front PPF from a good installer when I first bought my CX-9. I only had partial hood and fenders plus full bumper and side mirrors done, so the front half of the hood looks good while the rear half has a few rock chips here and there. My next car will definitely have full front PPF at minimum.
I wish more people would heed this advice.

You've seen my replies, either here or on Reddit, when people ask "what mods should I get" as people start chiming in with things like tint, ceramic, chrome delete, wheels, tires, etc. - I always jump on and recommend PPF before any of that. I even had one guy say "I'd rather spend my money on something I/others can see. to which I replied "trust me, they'll notice your beat up paint before they notice (or even care about) your new rims"

As they say, it's their money. But there really is something nice about seeing you 3 year old nearly perfect bumper and hood

I could not get into the shop until Monday 7/11, I took delivery on Wednesday 7/6. I put only 257 miles on it driving to work three days. I still managed to get a stone chip on the lower front fascia, passenger side. Stone chips covered by PPF really stand out. At least it is only one. The giant hood is flawless though. :)

Anthracite powder-coat 16" rims, 235 70R16" with Firestone Destination AT2 tires
and matte black trailer hitch from E-trailer( a Curt hitch but in flat black).

Dropped another 30 lbs. un-sprung weight,
Total weight drop from stock 19" is 50 lbs.
Stock 19" rims and toyos A36 = 238 lbs,
17" BBS rims with Nokian winter tires = 218 lbs.,
16" rims(Mazda tribute salvage) with Firestone AT white-out = 188 lbs.

Can feel the difference in acceleration.

The 16" tires absorb every bump and the handling around curves appears similar, with very little highway noise and increased acceleration from start.

The OWL help differentiate by adding contrast to the machine gray vehicle and anthracite rims.

The Etrailer(made by Curt) hitch in matte black matches the trim.

The 235's fit without rub. May try the 245's next time around.

Attachments

• Mazda with Anhtarcite rims and AT tires.png
    Mazda with Anhtarcite rims and AT tires.png
    284.1 KB · Views: 109
  • mazda with anthracite rims and AT tires 2.png
    mazda with anthracite rims and AT tires 2.png
    355.7 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
I could not get into the shop until Monday 7/11, I took delivery on Wednesday 7/6. I put only 257 miles on it driving to work three days. I still managed to get a stone chip on the lower front fascia, passenger side. Stone chips covered by PPF really stand out. At least it is only one. The giant hood is flawless though. :)
So, new hood put on end of April. Bodyshop said no auto carwash and no wax 3 months. Hand washed today. Only been 3 months and already have two (2) stone chips in hood. Didn't take long for hood to get damaged. Front end bumper has multiple stone dents...but no discoloration. Based on this I may be considering getting PPF but only on hood.

We got our 2014 CX5 6 years ago next month, with around 58k miles, and now it's got about 128k miles. I've never done anything with the coolant in that time. Noticed it was below the L mark on the reservoir (radiator still full) so I picked up some Mazda OEM coolant and filled it to in between the L and F lines. Eventually I'll get around to changing the coolant altogether. But DANG that coolant was expensive! $32 with tax for a gallon from the $tealership.

Also changed the oil (a bit early) and rotated the tires in anticipation of our upcoming road trip vacation next week to the Smoky Mountains.

Back