what does mx-5 stand for?

2K3 MSP

Contributor
:
Spicy Orange MSP #1287
Kind of a dumb question, but my brother saw a Mazdaspeed Miata at his work and wanted to know what the MX-5 stood for. I never thought much of it it ask anyone before, and now I'm curious myself. And what about Eunos then?

Was the miata always considered an MX-5, or just the newer generation? I wasn't sure if that had anything to do with it or not...(dunno). I mean, the MX-3 and the MX-6 are gone, so why slap a MX-5 badge on the MS Miata?

MX-5 is the INTERNATIONAL designation for the Miata, the name 'Miata' is only for the North American market, rest of the world it's either known as the MX-5 or the Roadster (or MX-5 Roadster if they like redundancy, lol)

and the 'MX' in Mazda's MX- line of cars stand for "Motoring eXperiment", IIRC.

ZoomZoomH said:
MX-5 is the INTERNATIONAL designation for the Miata, the name 'Miata' is only for the North American market, rest of the world it's either known as the MX-5 or the Roadster (or MX-5 Roadster if they like redundancy, lol)

That would make sense considering that most of the Mazda concepts are MX somethings (Sportif, CrossSport, Flexa, etc.)

ZoomZoomH said:

Ya beat me to it. Though the origin of the word Miata still baffles me. (dunno)

ZoomZoomH said:

slight correction: it's the eunos roadster in japan

My brother in law owned one in England a few years back, and he was amused when he saw on out here called "miata".

What is the meaning of the word "Miata"?

The word Miata is derived from an old German word meaning "reward". We think there's a bit more to it, but here's a description.

What is the meaning of the word "Eunos"?

Eunos is the name used to identify the MX-5 in Japan. Miata is only used in the United States. In Europe it is called simply the Mazda MX-5.

You've got it all wrong bro! "mi" comes from the spanish word for "my" thus miata means my-ata. And with ata you're on vacation. :D
Miata = My vacation.

Back