What are the OEM tires and are they any good in the snow?

:
Former CX-5 Own
Real snow tires don't make sense to me but I wanted to check what kind of snow/ice performance do the stock tires get.
I could only find the size, not the make and model. Is there a difference, other than size, between Sport/Touring/Grand Touring?

Last edited:
my GT has the 19" Toyo A23 tires:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...&autoModel=CX-5&autoModClar=Grand Touring FWD

Not sure how they do in snow though as I haven't been to any yet and there aren't any reviews showing for the tires yet.

Tirerack lists the Yokohama Geolandar G91A for the 17" models, the surveys don't rate them very high in snow traction.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...ear=2013&autoModel=CX-5&autoModClar=Sport AWD

Trevor
http://Mazda.HandA.com/cx5.html

The Yoko are worth nothing in the snow IMO at least with the kind of snow we have in Qubec.
I got 4 Good Year ultra grip ice WRT's and we just received 2 feet's of white stuff and it's a real fun to go to the street's that are not clean yet.

I have the stock 17" tires on and they are okay in the snow. THey only have 7,500 miles on them so they still have a lot of tread. Starting and stopping are decent. With AWD, I can start out even on a fairly steep hill. Cornering traction and stopping traction are typical of an all season tire. Certainly not as good as snow tires, but where you live snow tires would be a waste. I used to live in Marin so I know the only way snow tires make sense for you is if you were to swap them out each trip to the mountains. Not very realistic.

Probably next winter when I have 20,000 miles on the all season tires, I'll get a set of snow tires. For now they have such deep tread they work fine.

With the kind of snow we get here you wouldn't want to keep the all-season stocker's for the winter.
Anyway they are mandatory here in Qubec.

Real snow tires don't make sense to me but I wanted to check what kind of snow/ice performance do the stock tires get.
I could only find the size, not the make and model. Is there a difference, other than size, between Sport/Touring/Grand Touring?

Yes, there is a difference. Neither one of them is a real snow tire but if you get just a little snow here and there the 17's will be adequate, the 19's - not as good. All season radials will never be as good as a real snow tire.

I switched recently to Goodyear Ultragrip Ice (in the 17's) and they are excellent in all kinds of snow and ice.

I've got the 19" Toyo A23 tires and I've had NO TROUBLE in the snow at all this year.

I've gone snowboarding in WV, VT, MD and PA this season and several times encountered snow. On two of the trips we had a storm which dropped several inches in WV and 12 in VT. Both times the stock tires did absolutely fine and I didn't even get close to getting stuck.

That said, I typically drive in 0-40 degree temps (F). So, I don't see the -20 temps when snow tires really help even more. I also haven't seen much ice, which snow tires help to stop on.

Bottom line, depending on temps you experience, the stock tires are fine.

I had trouble in the right lane this morning. Probably was at least 6-8" of snow since the plows plowed whatever was in the left lane into the right. The stock 19" Toyos are ok in the snow just like every other all season tire. They have marginal performance in every climate bc they're made for all possible conditions & can't handle extremes as well dedicated summer or winter tires.

Back