What are all the fluids that need changing?

beep119

:
2005 Mazda 6
Hello all,
Just making sure, (as im still learning) i can change fluids, not rocket science...
But am wondering what fluids are to change on my 2016 Mazda CX5 FWD?
Rear diff, transmission oil, engine oil of course... and am i correct saying there is no transfer case fluid to change as this is a front wheel drive and not AWD?
Or is there a front differential on these? And am i missing something?

Thank you

yrwei52

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech Pkg
Contributor
:
Plano, Texas, USA
Hello all,
Just making sure, (as im still learning) i can change fluids, not rocket science...
But am wondering what fluids are to change on my 2016 Mazda CX5 FWD?
Rear diff, transmission oil, engine oil of course...
Your 2016 CX-5 is a FWD, and it doesn’t have rear differential.

and am i correct saying there is no transfer case fluid to change as this is a front wheel drive and not AWD?
Or is there a front differential on these? And am i missing something?

Thank you
FWD CX-5 doesn’t have front transfer case.

There always needs the differential even at front axle in an AWD. On CX-5, the front differential is built inside the transmission, automatic and manual, hence the transaxle. The front differential uses either ATF on automatic or gear lubricant on manual for lubrication.

For the AWD on the CX-5, the front transfer case is piggy-backed on the transaxle from a output shaft, and it’s a separate unit with different gear lubricant for lubrication.

Notice that some vehicles do have a separate front differential unit mostly with manual transmission setup, hence they require separate maintenance even with different gear lubricants.

:
Southwest Ohio
:
'19 CX-5 diesel
@beep119 , section 6 of your owners manual has the answers you're looking for...

Engine oil
Coolant @ 120k miles

That's it. Simple :)

Outside of that, some owners do change their transmission fluid and brake fluid from time to time.

The battery has water in it but is maintenance free.

yrwei52

Contributor
:
Plano, Texas, USA
⋯ The battery has water in it but is maintenance free.
It really depends. The factory Panasonic battery is a standard flooded lead acid battery which is NOT maintenance free. I added distilled water a couple of times until it died after 5½ years of usage. The rule of thumb is if there’re 6 caps on battery top which can be opened, it isn’t maintenance free.

Of course there’re absorbent glass mat battery (AGM) and gel cell battery available after-market which have no water inside.

beep119

:
2005 Mazda 6
Your 2016 CX-5 is a FWD, and it doesn’t have rear differential.

FWD CX-5 doesn’t have front transfer case.

There always needs the differential even at front axle in an AWD. On CX-5, the front differential is built inside the transmission, automatic and manual, hence the transaxle. The front differential uses either ATF on automatic or gear lubricant on manual for lubrication.

For the AWD on the CX-5, the front transfer case is piggy-backed on the transaxle from a output shaft, and it’s a separate unit with different gear lubricant for lubrication.

Notice that some vehicles do have a separate front differential unit mostly with manual transmission setup, hence they require separate maintenance even with different gear lubricants.
so for sure the CX-5 GS, front wheel drive does not have front diff? Does anyone know for sure if these cars have a front diff to change fluid?

This is my first front wheel drive vehicle, always had trucks. I am just so use to rear wheel drives and 4x4. LOL

yrwei52

Contributor
:
Plano, Texas, USA
so for sure the CX-5 GS, front wheel drive does not have front diff? Does anyone know for sure if these cars have a front diff to change fluid?

This is my first front wheel drive vehicle, always had trucks. I am just so use to rear wheel drives and 4x4. LOL
No, like I said, both FWD and AWD CX-5 have front differential, but it’s part of transaxle which contains transmission and front differential. The transaxle with automatic transmission uses ATF, and the transaxle with manual transmission uses gear lubricant. There’s no separate gear lube for front differential.