What 5W30 oil brand do you use in your CX-9?

jean-luc

2021 CX-9 Signature
I'm wondering what the general consensus it on the brand of oil for the 2nd gen CX-9. Some swear on Mobil 1 and some stay with Castol Edge as the "dealer's recommendation". Any noticeable difference in MPG and/or engine NVH when switching between brands? Catrol Edge alone has the black and gold bottles.

I went from Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, to Castrol Edge, now to Kirkland Signature (Costco). I bought PUP and CE because they were name-brand oils that were affordable when they went on sale. Recently I switched to Kirkland 5W-30 since the other two were not on sale when my oil change was due, and 9.5L of Kirkland oil is the same price as 5L of one of the other oils when they're on sale at around $33 CAD. Over the past 63k kms (39k mi), I haven't noticed a significant difference in NVH or fuel economy between the three.

In case you might be interested, I've had three UoAs done so far. The first was at 29k with PUP. The second and third were done at 53.5k and 58.5k, both with Castrol Edge (I'm currently testing for high potassium levels). Both of the Castrol UoAs have high levels of potassium that may be a result of a coolant leak, which might also explain the high NOX and COX. But at least you can compare a few bits of information between the two oils. I plan to do another UoA soon, and this time it will be with the Kirkland oil.

In terms of drivability/NVH/fuel economy, I'm happy with the Kirkland 5W-30 after switching to it as 58.5k kms.

Attachments

• 18 CX-9 UOA_10162019.pdf
    86.2 KB · Views: 263
  • 18 CX-9 UOA_05132021.pdf
    61 KB · Views: 204
  • 18 CX-9 UOA_09222021.pdf
    91.1 KB · Views: 236
jean-luc, the brand does not matter. At least any major brand does not matter. Stick with the spec, and you'll be good. The current spec is viscosity grade 5W-30, API Service Category SP, and ILSAC standard GF-6A. These have superseded the previous standards in older owner's manuals like my 2016.

Mazda says that conventional oil is fine. It meets the warranty requirement. Some of us use synthetic oil which has some advantages especially in the hot turbocharger and on frigid winter days. Synthetic oil will oxidize more slowly, thin less when very hot, and thicken less when very cold. The choice is yours.

I find that Pennzoil Platinum lets the engine run slightly more quietly in the first few thousand miles after an oil change. This does not mean that it is better oil. The ability to damp sound is not a criteria of superior oil.

While your car is in warranty stick with Mazda oil filters. The oil has industry standard specs to meet. Not so for oil filters. The filter makers reverse engineer an original oil filter. They may be great, and maybe not quite. If there is any engine warranty claim, don't give the car maker an easy out where they can claim a sub-standard oil filter caused a problem.

Some off-brand oils are actually very bad. https://pqia.org/advisoriesconsumer-alerts-and-dont-buys/

I appreciate the great source of information! This is why I stick to forums for information since it's based on real world usage and experience. I did purchase OEM oil filters at the dealership when I went is for service recently. $11.99 a pop plus $1.60 for 3 washers so not bad.

What I did notice is the car was actually smoother with slightly less engine vibration when they did an oil change, Mazda synthetic oil vs the Castrol Edge that I used. Could it also be the oil filter?

While your car is in warranty stick with Mazda oil filters. The oil has industry standard specs to meet. Not so for oil filters.
Yes.

The filter makers reverse engineer an original oil filter. They may be great, and maybe not quite.
After-market oil filters usually use one-size-fit-all approach, using one filter for both Mazda’s SkyActiv-G 2.5T and 2.5L, whereas the OEM has 2 different oil filters with separate part numbers for 2 engines.

I appreciate the great source of information! This is why I stick to forums for information since it's based on real world usage and experience. I did purchase OEM oil filters at the dealership when I went is for service recently. $11.99 a pop plus $1.60 for 3 washers so not bad.
Make sure to get correct OEM oil filter for your 2.5T as it’s different from the one used on the 2.5L. It’s Japanese made Tokyo Roki PY8W-14-302 oil filter from factory, but you can only get Thai made Denso 1WPY-14-302 oil filter from US Mazda dealers. You can get this OEM oil filter online which will be a bit cheaper. My Mazda dealer sells parts without any markup like your dealer does, and the drain plug aluminum washer is free with the oil filter purchase.

For $11.99, your Mazda dealer has big markup over MSRP $8.93 on 1WPY-14-302 oil filter. My Mazda dealer sells 1WPE-14-302 Thai made Denso oil filter used on my 2.5L for $6.80 (MSRP $8.50) with a free drain plug aluminum washer.

What I did notice is the car was actually smoother with slightly less engine vibration when they did an oil change, Mazda synthetic oil vs the Castrol Edge that I used. Could it also be the oil filter?
Nothing to do with oil filter. Your Mazda dealer usually uses the cheapest bulk oil available for oil change. You have to ask to find out what kind of oil they’re using. Or sometimes the invoice will say. It won’t be Mazda 5W-30 full synthetic oil as this product doesn’t exist. Unlike 0W-20 Mazda moly full synthetic oil, OEM Mazda 5W-30 oil is Castrol GTX which is NOT full synthetic.

Last edited:
"What I did notice is the car was actually smoother with slightly less engine vibration when they did an oil change, Mazda synthetic oil vs the Castrol Edge that I used. Could it also be the oil filter?"

It might feel that way with any clean oil. It is not important. Do we know who makes the oil sold with Mazda labels? I think Castrol has some promotional deal with Mazda, but any good oil will be right.

I used mobil 1, Castrol and now Kirkland. It all feels the same to me with my butt dyno. All paired with Fram tough guard

I used mobil 1, Castrol and now Kirkland. It all feels the same to me with my butt dyno. All paired with Fram tough guard
The oil filter from factory on Mazda CX-9 with SkyActiv-G 2.5T is Japanese made Tokyo Roki PY8W-14-302. Unfortunately Mazda North American Operations have stopped supplying PY8W-14-302 since Dec. 2019 and it’s superseded by Thai made Denso 1WPY-14-302.

Based on Fram application chart Mazda CX-9 with SkyActiv-G 2.5T uses Fram Tough Guard TG6607. And TG6607 is said to be used by almost all Mazda engines including R2 1.3L rotary engine. Fram claims TG6607 oil filter is compatible with Mazda’s OEM B6Y1-14-302、B6Y1-14-302A、 B6Y2-14-302A、N3R1-14-302、PE01-14-302 oil filters. Notice that the compatibility list doesn’t include any of the 2 OEM oil filters used by the 2.5T. B6Y1-14-302 is an old OEM oil filter used on early Mazda2’s 1.5L mentioned in this Mazda document and it isn’t supposed to be used by any SkyActiv-G engines.

76BD6046-6361-4033-A0E5-EEA43F2A1828.jpeg

Further, Fram TG6607 is also used by 120+ of different engines from Chevrolet to Toyota. This’s a “one-size-fit-all” oil filter which is very common practice by aftermarket parts manufactures. There’s no way the specs of Fram TG6607 will meet the OEM PY8W-14-302 / 1WPY-14-302 oil filter, and the price difference between OEM 1WPY-14-302 ($6.16 online; $8.93 MSRP) and Fram Tough Guard TG6607 ($6.82 Amazon) is almost nothing. The choice is clear.

D3E868FD-4FE0-4FB1-AFA0-758772E98B02.jpeg

4C6339B2-48F4-4C59-8243-81BED6082536.jpeg

963CDD52-D315-4F57-A2A6-A10AECC2163E.jpeg

8646AEF7-7D04-465B-95DF-34417D78911C.jpeg

D8A1954B-55A4-40EC-BE95-39B58CEEC03F.jpeg

6EEFE14E-0019-483E-9A09-94C443BB6060.jpeg

E72CBA6E-AE32-438E-8949-94CD0FBD6921.jpeg

Attachments

• 34355C7D-5C20-464C-8558-22B473515DC3.jpeg
    34355C7D-5C20-464C-8558-22B473515DC3.jpeg
    59.3 KB · Views: 211
I tend to look for oils in the recommended viscosity range (0w30 or 5w30) with really demanding specs. For example, if a 5W30 passes the test for Porsche (A40), VW (502), BMW (LL01), and MB (229.5), it's generally really good stuff (and will work in most of my cars).

@yrwei52 so is the product I linked better and safer for the 2.5T? Been using Castrol Edge 5W-30 when I do my own oil changes and thinking of switching to Idemitsu

@yrwei52 so is the product I linked better and safer for the 2.5T? Been using Castrol Edge 5W-30 when I do my own oil changes and thinking of switching to Idemitsu
Most name brand 5W-30 full synthetic oils now meet SP / GF-6 standard. Any name brand 5W-30 full synthetic oil, Castrol Edge、or Idemitsu, should be fine for the 2.5T.

I used 5-30 Mobil 1 EP as it is Dexos 1G2 cert, and Hot Tube tested, and low calcium. I took my 2.5T to 80K miles and it ran great, used 0 oil, etc.

I use whatever top name brand full syn 5W-30 is on sale that week. If the spec is correct, and the brand trusted, nothing else matters. Do use a top quality filter. Within the warranty period use Mazda filters. In the rare case of an engine problem, you don't want to give them ammunition to try to deny a warranty claim. After the warranty period use Mazda or any top filter...WIX or NAPA, Baldwin, a few others.

I use whatever top name brand full syn 5W-30 is on sale that week. If the spec is correct, and the brand trusted, nothing else matters. Do use a top quality filter. Within the warranty period use Mazda filters. In the rare case of an engine problem, you don't want to give them ammunition to try to deny a warranty claim. After the warranty period use Mazda or any top filter...WIX or NAPA, Baldwin, a few others.
I used to would agree, but have found differences. back when I had an LS1 Trans Am, Mobil 1 5-30 EP would burn 1qt/2K miles. 0-30 German Castrol, would not.

Your Mazda dealer usually uses the cheapest bulk oil available for oil change. You have to ask to find out what kind of oil they’re using. Or sometimes the invoice will say. It won’t be Mazda 5W-30 full synthetic oil as this product doesn’t exist. Unlike 0W-20 Mazda moly full synthetic oil, OEM Mazda 5W-30 oil is Castrol GTX which is NOT full synthetic.
Interesting as the invoice from my dealer says the 5w30 is full synthetic oil. This is what the invoice line item reads: MOIL 5W-30 FS Full Synth

Back