What 5W30 oil brand do you use in your CX-9?

Chickdr, just got back from my first complimentary oil change on my CX-5 2022 turbo and the dealer installed 5W30 "Conventional" oil. They indicated that is what is required by Mazda. I find that unacceptable in a turbo and have asked them to change it. Will see what transpires.

Maybe your invoice comment is referring to Mobil 1 5W30 synthetic? Hopefully so.

Chickdr, just got back from my first complimentary oil change on my CX-5 2022 turbo and the dealer installed 5W30 "Conventional" oil. They indicated that is what is required by Mazda. I find that unacceptable in a turbo and have asked them to change it. Will see what transpires.

Maybe your invoice comment is referring to Mobil 1 5W30 synthetic? Hopefully so.

Could just be what that particular dealer chooses to use for 2.5T engine oil changes. MOIL is likely shorthand for motor oil, so they may be using a bulk full synthetic 5W-30 (or a customer supplied full synthetic 5W-30 oil) instead of the minimum requirement of an ILSAC certified 5W-30 oil (which can be conventional, blended, or fully synthetic).

My interpretation of the invoice I received: MOIL is "motor oil" and the specific type is 5w30 full synthetic. Obviously it varies dealer to dealer what they use to do the oil changes. It seems as if Mazda is not specific about synthetic or conventional oil.

Reposting here a good option in case of oil dilution:

Sharing an experience with Rotella 5w-30 (multi-vehicle).

This oil turned out to be particularly good for engines with dilution. Got a hint from WRX forums and got repro on both of my cars. Rotella results marked with red:

1: 2015 WRX started to show diluted analysis after a Stage1 protune.
2: 2019 CX9 - dilution issue started from 5k miles, well described here ) To mitigate the issue I used to run very short intervals and was consistently getting low viscosity within 2200 miles. Now I can get back to 5k intervals or even longer. Amazing.View attachment 314330View attachment 314331

The Rotella 5w-30 is pricey, but exactly in November Nappa runs a special.

I’m settled on Penzoil Ultra Platinum 5w30 with a Mobile 1 oil filter. I change my oil every 3500 miles max. I drive about 50/50 city and HWY about 5 days a week, a couple family trips a year.

Attachments

• 00B7655F-EBEB-4D09-AFC3-16E0B22E5EB3.jpeg
    00B7655F-EBEB-4D09-AFC3-16E0B22E5EB3.jpeg
    155.4 KB · Views: 64
I’m settled on Penzoil Ultra Platinum 5w30 with a Mobile 1 oil filter. I change my oil every 3500 miles max. I drive about 50/50 city and HWY about 5 days a week, a couple family trips a year.
Are you aware Mazda uses a different OEM oil filter for your 2.5T, but Mobile 1 uses the same oil filter for both 2.5T and 2.5L NA?

I bring my own oil to the dealer (typically Mobile 1, Castrol Edge, or PUP 5w30). They've never questioned me and end up charging me less for the service. A lot of the Mazda dealers use the cheapest bulk oil they can get their hands on which I do not think it right for a turbo application (VW USA learned this the hard way ~20 years ago not long after the 1.8T came on to the market).

Last edited:
Great Oil, terrible filter, Use a Wix 57002 or a Mazda 1WPY-14-302, the Wix is the only aftermarket filter that's designed correctly.

Great Oil, terrible filter, Use a Wix 57002 or a Mazda 1WPY-14-302, the Wix is the only aftermarket filter that's designed correctly.
Wix claimed its 57002 is specifically designed for Mazda’s SkyActiv-G 2.0L / 2.5L NA which uses PE01-14-302A and 1WPE-14-302 OEM oil filters. Although Wix claimed its 57002 can also be used on the SkyActiv-G 2.5T, but it definitely has different specs to PY8W-14-302 and 1WPY-14-302 OEM oil filters which are used on the 2.5T. I wouldn’t use the Wix 57002 on the 2.5T.

Back