Weird suspension noise left turn

nlinesk8s

:
mazda, protege5 '02
I've got a weird suspension rattle that maybe someone can diagnose.

Occurs only when turning left and the suspension lifts on the left side. Sounds like it's a lower area:

The control arm and tie rod end are almost new, and show no looseness that I can find, including when I jacked up the car and moved everything. The swaybar end link is ok with no looseness or play.
The bolts on the control rod and tie rod end and balljoint are tight.
The car makes no noise if I bounce it up and down.
No noise if I jink left and right hard while driving
no noise if I go over a speed bump
no noise if one side goes over a speed bump

the only thing I haven't checked yet is the swaybar bushings, and I figure they'd make a noise if one side went over a bump.

Anybody know where I should look?

probably not a cv joint; I know that sound well. Plus, that sound is usually rhythmic with rotation, this one is definitely an impoact rattle of some kind.

I've got a weird suspension rattle that maybe someone can diagnose.

Occurs only when turning left and the suspension lifts on the left side. Sounds like it's a lower area:

The control arm and tie rod end are almost new, and show no looseness that I can find, including when I jacked up the car and moved everything. The swaybar end link is ok with no looseness or play.
The bolts on the control rod and tie rod end and balljoint are tight.
The car makes no noise if I bounce it up and down.
No noise if I jink left and right hard while driving
no noise if I go over a speed bump
no noise if one side goes over a speed bump

the only thing I haven't checked yet is the swaybar bushings, and I figure they'd make a noise if one side went over a bump.

Anybody know where I should look?

Had similar experience especially when I turned left. I jacked up my car, took the wheel off. Grabbed each part and shook it. Luckily it turns out the stabilizer link was loose. Tightened it and never heard the clicking sound since.

Okay, this is a weird one. I took off my RIGHT wheel and hub, and had the bearing replaced. I also replaced the RIGHT control arm, which had play and a broken boot. I had previously checked all of my suspension components for play, and the only thing with some give was the control arm.

When I put everything back together, and drove the car, the noise on the LEFT side was gone. Perhaps the play in the right side was causing something to happen via the sway bar. And maybe having the front end up in the air did something else. Beats me, but it's fixed.

I have a very similar sounding issue from what i can tell, and still haven't fully figured it out...I replaced my driver's side front control arm last fall...and had no noise at all...but then about a month later...i get a low speed clunk, mostly when turning left...if i'm going more than 15 mph its pretty much gone...and it doesn't really matter if i hit a bump or not...its mostly noticeable if i turn left from a stop through an intersection...but will sometimes do it when going straight...

I'm on Tein SS coilovers w/ pretty stiff settings right now...so i can't be sure if its bump related or not...as literally EVERYTHING is a bump...but it appears that my front sway bar has 'walked' to the driver's side a little...is that even possible? Its original bushings, and it has never been removed...it has those circular rubber discs on the outer edge of each bushing area...and the passenger side seems to be pushed around the bend of the bar...while the drivers side isn't completely flush with the bushing...

I'm guessing that has to be it...i just replaced the front endlinks and it made no difference...no better or worse...

So if your sound returns, you might be up against some thing similar...I can't detect any play or 'looseness' on the passenger side...the ball joint and boot are still looking good, and all CV axle boots appear to be fine...I have a lot of miles on my wheel bearings, but they too seem tight and smooth when i twist them by hand...i do hear a little noise when cornering at higher speed, but it sounds more like normal tire sound than something mechanical...

Latest posts

Back