Weird noise when using adaptive cruise control and stopping (MRCC, 2018 CX-9)

:
Mazda CX-9 GT 2018 White
Three months ago, my 2018 CX-9 started making a weird noise when using the adaptive cruise control or MRCC. When the system applies the brakes, it makes the noise that you can hear in my video. I took it to the dealer, and the master technician recommends replacing the ABS control unit, but the car is not throwing error codes or exhibiting a mechanical malfunction. Just the noise. I purchased an extended warranty service at the dealer. Sadly, the extended warranty provider refuses to pay for the part because their inspectors (no Mazda techs) say there is no malfunction even if the noise can be easily replicated and is noticeable.

Here is the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sT22AO1awGk

You can notice the noise when the system applies the brakes until the HOLD light is on.

Has anyone experienced or had something similar to this? If it is the ABS unit, I'm kinda scared that the system will fail eventually or during a hard stop. The only thing that comes to my mind is that months before the noise started, the dealer did a brake fluid flush and replacement. Maybe the flushing caused the issue?

I don't know who your extended warranty provider is, or what is covered under that warranty, but I would also open a case with Mazda Corporate to see if you can get the issue resolved as a goodwill gesture, assuming your car is now outside of the 3-year/36k basic warranty period.

If your car is still in the warranty period (or just outside of it), I would reference the Mazda USA Warranty Booklet, found here: https://www.mazdausa.com/siteassets...ed-warranty-booklet/2021-warranty-booklet.pdf

1. What Is Covered
The New Vehicle Limited Warranty period is 36 months or 36,000 miles whichever comes first. This Limited Warranty period begins on the Date of First Service. “Date of First Service” means the first date the Mazda Vehicle is delivered to the first retail purchaser, is leased or is placed into service as a company vehicle use (e.g., as a demonstrator, rental or fleet vehicle), whichever is earliest. This Limited Warranty does not mean that each Mazda vehicle is defect free. For this reason, Mazda provides this Limited Warranty in order to remedy during the warranty period any such defects in materials and workmanship of all parts and components supplied by Mazda subject to the exclusions indicated under “Exceptions” and “What is Not Covered”. The vehicle must be brought to an authorized Mazda dealer for all warranty service. The authorized Mazda dealer will without charge for parts or labor, either repair or replace the defective part(s) using new or authorized remanufactured parts. This transferable Limited Warranty is included with all new Mazda vehicles sold in the United States. Mail the “Subsequent Ownership Notification” attached to the end of the booklet to your Mazda Importer/Distributor.

I think the noise that your brakes are making should qualify as a defect, as the noise is new and wasn't there before. Either way, contact Mazda Corporate with this information, and provide the link to your video to call out the issue. Hopefully you can get this fixed on their dime.

I don't know who your extended warranty provider is, or what is covered under that warranty, but I would also open a case with Mazda Corporate to see if you can get the issue resolved as a goodwill gesture, assuming your car is now outside of the 3-year/36k basic warranty period.

If your car is still in the warranty period (or just outside of it), I would reference the Mazda USA Warranty Booklet, found here: https://www.mazdausa.com/siteassets...ed-warranty-booklet/2021-warranty-booklet.pdf

I think the noise that your brakes are making should qualify as a defect, as the noise is new and wasn't there before. Either way, contact Mazda Corporate with this information, and provide the link to your video to call out the issue. Hopefully you can get this fixed on their dime.
Well, yes, the basic warranty is over. Yesterday contacted Mazda USA as you indicated and now I'm waiting for their decision. They are going to call the dealer to get more information about the situation. The insurance company is now escalating the situation to see why the claim was denied. Hopefully, this will get sorted out.

@Atxyde I've exactly your same issue how did you ended up? What's the solution and did you pay for it?
Sadly no. The noise is still there, and they refused to fix it because the system is working correctly, even though they could hear it every time. They told me to replace the ABS module, but they weren't sure the issue would be resolved. I felt they were guessing, and I would not play that costly game of trial and error.

To make things worse, I was involved in a collision in August between 4 cars, and my rear right door and all right-side plastic trims need to be replaced. I am still waiting for the parts. Luckily I can drive it, but water leaks inside if it rains heavily, and the road noise is infuriating.

1674274628727.png

Back