Weird message issues

:
2016 CX-9 GT AWD
So I got a cx9 (2016 GT) and I love it but I had a weird message the other day saying that the transmission was having problems and to bring it to the dealer immediately. (Attached) I called the dealer immediately and they took a look at it and ran the codes and found nothing about the transmission. The message also only showed up for about a minute and went away when I started driving. So that was concerning but also I get other messages like my front camera is blocked. It occurs randomly and I’m aware that frost or dirt or even the sun shining on it can blind the camera and throw the message up, but I scrubbed the windshield clean around the camera and it came up on a cloudy day (no mist or condensation or frost). It comes up randomly and just disappears. Also sometimes when I start up the car it says that my service is 0 miles past due, but I’m not due for an oil change (according to service record and the maintenance application in the computer) for another 3k miles. Does this sound like the computer is failing or what should my recourse be here?

Attachments

• CE75504E-1535-490C-B303-2B922070D214.jpeg
    CE75504E-1535-490C-B303-2B922070D214.jpeg
    44.8 KB · Views: 181
Lots of different things here. The only one i can comment on is the service interval issue (oil change). This seems to happen to a few people (including me) but probably isn’t related to your other issues. Sometime it is due to the smart maintenance intervall being turned on, but we don’t have that feature in Canada and i was having the same issue. I learned from the dealer that there are two systems recording the maintenance interval. The infotainment system is one and the PCM is the other. The PCM is apparently monitoring engine conditions (long idle, cold start, etc) and will recommend maintenance interval but i think in some cases it gets out of sync with the regular maintenance schedule for no reason. (One theory is that dealers forget to reset it). There is an easy way to reset it, and i will share it for the sake of other users but i don’t recommend you do it yourself. The reason being is that your car seems to have other issues as well ( the transmission warning for example), and i don’t know if resetting the PCM will also erase other errors codes that could help the dealer diagnose your problem. You should ask the dealer to do it for you to cover your basis.

For everyone else, here is the procedure for a maxda cx-9 GT 2018 that worked for me to clear the maintenance interval warning.

PCM oil life reset:
1.Engine off
2. HOld (push) odometer reset stalk for at least 10 second ( the cx-9 GT 2018 doesn’t have an odometer reset stalk, use the dashboard illumination stalk instead.)
3. After 10 seconds, keep holding the stalk button and press the start button twice to turn accessories on (do not start the engine).
4. There should be a warning triangle flashing in the dash indicating the reset functionned. You can let go of the stalk button and turn the engine on to confirm the maintenance warning is gone.

Last edited:
Back