Weight capacity for hitch? 2016 CX-5

2016 cx5. Looking to maybe carry a mobility scooter on a carrier that would attach to a hitch. Looking in my owners manual and online all I can find is a chart that I do not understand. All I need to know is what would the maximum weight I could carry of a scooter and carrier on the back of my cx5. Anyone know?

Any help would be appreciated.
Jim

oem hitch or aftermarket?
Usually the hitch itself shows the max weight.
The oem was class I if I recall and smaller.

I think afternarket class II would be better
option for you. Dont go for the max weight.
200 lbs should not be a problem for class II

OEM hitch should be a class ii (1 1/2 square) and handle 200 lbs

Aftermarket class III hitch should handle 350 lbs or more. For example, this Draw - tite hitch from e-trailer shows 675lb tounge capacity

Just be careful here... even though you could mount an aftermarket class II or III hitch and the hitch can support big weights, doesn't mean that the car mounting points would be able to.

Mine tolerates 440 to 450 pounds of tongue weight through a Curt Class III hitch. It squats about 1.75 inches and doesn't bottom. I eventually added AirLift bladders to recover the sag, but didn't need to.

oem hitch or aftermarket?
Usually the hitch itself shows the max weight.
The oem was class I if I recall and smaller.

I think afternarket class II would be better
option for you. Dont go for the max weight.
200 lbs should not be a problem for class II
I am thinking 400 pounds total is what I am looking to carry.

I am thinking 400 pounds total is what I am looking to carry.

An aftermarket class III hitch will be what you want. Lots of places to buy them. I've personally been happy with purchases from e-trailer.com

Your car will be doing the Georgia-squat with 400lbs hanging off the back. For me, if it was going to be a regular thing riding back there, I would go for the https://www.airliftcompany.com/workshop/air-lift-1000-universal-air-spring-kit/ . I've seen the 60910 model in threads listed to fit gen2 cx5's. I believe that would help level things back out and provide more support for the extra weight.

Come back and post up what you decide to go with for your setup and how it works for you.

An aftermarket class III hitch will be what you want. Lots of places to buy them. I've personally been happy with purchases from e-trailer.com

Your car will be doing the Georgia-squat with 400lbs hanging off the back. For me, if it was going to be a regular thing riding back there, I would go for the https://www.airliftcompany.com/workshop/air-lift-1000-universal-air-spring-kit/ . I've seen the 60910 model in threads listed to fit gen2 cx5's. I believe that would help level things back out and provide more support for the extra weight.

Come back and post up what you decide to go with for your setup and how it works for you.
Thanks for the information.
I think first I will see how it works putting it inside with ramps maybe. Lots of pros and cons between inside and outside on a carrier. Right now I am checking what my options are. Thanks again

Back