2016~2023 CX-9 Water pump leaking

:
2018 CX-9 SIGNATURE
2018 CX-9 Signature is getting the water pump replaced at 64k miles. Brought it in for an oil change and anti freeze was spotted all over the place but never dripped on my garage floor. Taking 10 days for the part to arrive. Anyone else with WP issues… if so, at what mileage?

I hate to say it but it could be the infamous cracked head leaking coolant. Was this the dealer or independent shop who diagnosed?

Coolant coming from the well-known cracked cylinder head would be in a completely different location than a water pump leaking, so it's hard to understand how a tech could make that mistake. That said, I'd never be willing to bet any money on the diagnostic ability of a stealership service department.

I talked with the service rep today. It’s rare… The leak was clearly coming from the water pump. They would test the compression if they thought it was a cylinder head crack. As soon as I pick the CX-9 up next week, I’ve got to run it over to the body shop because I hit a deer a couple months ago.

Regarding these particular (mechanical and body) Mazda parts, they’ve been difficult to get.

Last edited:
I talked with the service rep today. It’s rare… The leak was clearly coming from the water pump. They would test the compression if they thought it was a cylinder head crack. As soon as I pick the CX-9 up next week, I’ve got to run it over to the body shop because I hit a deer a couple months ago.

Regarding these particular (mechanical and body) Mazda parts, they’ve been difficult to get.
If you still have a few months /miles of warranty you should definitely send an oil sample on for analysis and make sure there is no coolant in the oil.
Cause once the warrantys up you may be SOL.
If it were me Id also have my local Indy look at it too.

If you still have a few months /miles of warranty you should definitely send an oil sample on for analysis and make sure there is no coolant in the oil.
Cause once the warrantys up you may be SOL.
If it were me Id also have my local Indy look at it too.
Appreciate the suggestions. 👍🏻 I have a Powerlife lifetime engine/transmission warranty. If it’s a cylinder head/block issue, I’m covered. Unfortunately, the water pump isn’t included. Dang!

"They would test the compression if they thought it was a cylinder head crack."
If the crack is the external wall of the cylinder head where the turbocharger bolts on...what good would a compression test be?

"Powerlife lifetime engine/transmission warranty"
Please read all the fine print in those documents. It is not a warranty. It is a service contract. It covers exactly what that fine print says it covers IF you do all that the fine print requires of you. Someone else with an extended not-really-a-warranty found that only oil lubricated parts are covered which is not the cylinder head structure. Check that fine print.

"They would test the compression if they thought it was a cylinder head crack."
If the crack is the external wall of the cylinder head where the turbocharger bolts on...what good would a compression test be?

"Powerlife lifetime engine/transmission warranty"
Please read all the fine print in those documents. It is not a warranty. It is a service contract. It covers exactly what that fine print says it covers IF you do all that the fine print requires of you. Someone else with an extended not-really-a-warranty found that only oil lubricated parts are covered which is not the cylinder head structure. Check that fine print.
Exactly my thought with the lifetime "warranty"

100% agree, they arent worth the paper they are written on and have vague loopholes and excuses to deny everything when it comes time for a claim.
Warranty states:
ENGINE: All internal, lubricated parts. Cylinder Block; Cylinder Head(s); Harmonic Balancer; Timing Chain, Timing Belt, Balance Shaft Belt, Gears, Pulleys, Guides and Tensioners*; Oil Pump; Intake and Exhaust Manifold; Diesel Engine Vacuum Pump; Engine Mounts; Turbocharger, Intercooler, Wastegate, Wastegate Actuator/ Controller; Supercharger, Pulley and Clutch. The following parts are covered only if damaged by the FAILURE of an internal, lubricated part: Cylinder Barrels, Timing Chain Cover, Valve Covers, Oil Pan and Rotor Housing.

I’ve kept up with all manufacturer maintenance:
YOU AGREE TO MAINTAIN THE COVERED VEHICLE IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE MANUFACTURER’S STATED PERIODIC MAINTENANCE RECOMMENDATIONS AND THIS LIMITED WARRANTY’S GUIDELINES AND KEEP ALL RECEIPTS OF SUCH SERVICE.
I’ve had all work done at the dealership so all records are there. The way I see it, the warranty company would have a helluva time trying to get out fixing a cracked cylinder block or head… but hey, stranger things have happened.

Last edited:
Appreciate the suggestions. 👍🏻 I have a Powerlife lifetime engine/transmission warranty. If it’s a cylinder head/block issue, I’m covered. Unfortunately, the water pump isn’t included. Dang!
If they don't cover a simple thing like water pump replacement, how do you expect them to cover cylinder head/block issues? You would either need to replace the whole head or the whole engine! When the time comes and you go to them, I think they will deny it as well( I could be wrong though)

If they don't cover a simple thing like water pump replacement, how do you expect them to cover cylinder head/block issues? You would either need to replace the whole head or the whole engine! When the time comes and you go to them, I think they will deny it as well( I could be wrong though)
Dude… if you’ll read post #11, I copied the warranty. It clearly states what is covered.

Back