Vibration at Idle (2022 CX-5)

Does anyone experience a slight engine vibration or shudder whenever your air con compressor kicks in? Is this normal for Mazda 2.5L engines to behave this way? The vibration can be felt while waiting at stoplight or stuck in traffic with the transmission in Drive. Needle on the tach would also swing between 700 and 500 RPM. Car is 2022 model year. Normally a solenoid is used to increase engine RPM whenever the compressor is on to compensate for the extra load. This would eliminate any vibration. Also special rubber mounts are used to decrease any vibration from being sent to the passenger compartment. Not sure if Mazda and the 2.5L engines are built the same way.

Good question but I cant answer that. I have a 2018 , deactivation started in 2019 model MAZDA's. When I look at all my ECU programing/programable area's my 2018 N/A MAZDA does not have deactivation even in a closed area or not applicable area. Sorry I wish I had the answer for you but the Versa Tuner program is model specific for what it can access in the ECU.
I thoght it started in 2018.

Upvote 0
I thoght it started in 2018.
I guess it is cutting fine hairs depending on production date. Regardless my Mazda does not have it and it is not in my N/A adjustable perimeter.in my ECU You would need to go to the Versa Tuner forum or contact them for your answer. Sorry I wish I could help you.

Upvote 0
From the U.S. 2018 brochure...View attachment 308208
You assumed I have that model MAZDA I don't. ;) Mine does not have cylinder deactivation and I very glad. Also, there is a production date when they actually made them available. The ad does not explain that small detail? But they never do. In fact when you buy parts aside form the VIN your production date is the most important information to have available to get correct part the first time. The production date is located driver side door jam sticker.

Upvote 0
Well, this is the CX-5 forum, you didn't state otherwise, and you made a sweeping statement about 2018 Mazdas not having cyl deactivation.

Upvote 0
Good question but I cant answer that. I have a 2018 , deactivation started in 2019 model MAZDA's. When I look at all my ECU programing/programable area's my 2018 N/A MAZDA does not have deactivation even in a closed area or not applicable area. Sorry I wish I had the answer for you but the Versa Tuner program is model specific for what it can access in the ECU.
The 2.5L NA in your 2018 CX-5 does have cylinder deactivation. I was waiting for the first batch of 2018 CX-5 in 2018 planning to get one, until Mazda announced very late that the 2.5L would come with cylinder deactivation. The information about CD at the time was very vague, and I asked the sales manager of my Mazda dealer to verifiy the change with Mazda North American Operations directly as I refused to believe Mazda would make such a stupid move. But the answer was positive, and I then cancelled my purchase order.

The easiest way to verify if your 2.5L NA comes with CD is to use your VIN to check if your 2.5L have “switchable” hydraulic lash adjusters on cylinder #1 and #4.

Upvote 0
Yea, I thought it was on 2018s and later. And not on Canadian models? Not a fan of CD, expecially on an inline 4. Bad move by Mazda. I won't own a vehicle with CD. Purchased a turbo as a work around. But my first choice would have been a NORMAL inline 4 cylinder.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The easiest way to verify if your 2.5L NA comes with CD is to use your VIN to check if your 2.5L have “switchable” hydraulic lash adjusters on cylinder #1 and #4.
Thank you. good idea. (y)

I don't have CD in my 2018 Mazda Skyactic-G engine. But in looking at my ECU tables I did find a table that I can adjust for 14.o compression use over the US model limits of 13.0. Naturally it would require 93 + MON . This would add about 10-15+ crank HP to the engine.

Upvote 0
⋯ I don't have CD in my 2018 Mazda Skyactic-G engine.
If you have a US 2018 CX-5, and your VIN is within the range of this Mazda CX-5 safety recall on fallen rocker arms with cylinder deactivation, your 2.5L NA has CD.

NHTSA Recall #: 19V-497
2018-2019 Mazda CX-5
Production Dates : OCT 03, 2017 - APR 23, 2019
VIN Range 1 : Begin : JM3KFBDMXJ0300038 End : JM3KFBCM5J0476254
VIN Range 2 : Begin : JM3KFBBM7K0500024 End JM3KFACM5K0622857

NHTSA Recall No. : 19V-497

Upvote 0
If you have a US 2018 CX-5, and your VIN is within the range of this Mazda CX-5 safety recall on fallen rocker arms with cylinder deactivation, your 2.5L NA has CD.

NHTSA Recall #: 19V-497
2018-2019 Mazda CX-5
Production Dates : OCT 03, 2017 - APR 23, 2019
VIN Range 1 : Begin : JM3KFBDMXJ0300038 End : JM3KFBCM5J0476254
VIN Range 2 : Begin : JM3KFBBM7K0500024 End JM3KFACM5K0622857

NHTSA Recall No. : 19V-497
Good info, but I still do not have CD. And the only recall I have is with the BCM, which I changed out and currently fighting with MAZDA because they will not release it form the recall list because I replaced it myself. I bought it from MAZDA form the dealership I purchased my MAZDA from, I still have the original that MAZDA in the recall suggests it "may" go bad causing the wiper to stop working(?) and yet they are digging their heals and not releasing it from the recall.??
I changed it myself because it was a simple 10 minute job. Yet ALL the MAZDA in my area are so back up with recall service they wanted me to leave my MAZDA for the day possibly over night with NO loaner. Really, for a 10 minute install. Anyway bad subject.... hahaha!

Upvote 0
How do you know you don't have CD on your 2018? Help me out because I am looking to buy one. Thanks

Upvote 0
Your engine is not even close to being broken in. The break in is about 9-15k miles. When you reach that lets talk again.

As for running higher octane, that does not change formulation accountability regarding engine performance regarding idle and adjusted Idel speeds. only the octane rating. The ECU will not really see those changes unless they effect the ASFRs and if that is what is happening then there is not much you can do unless you get an ECU performance tune or learn about what the changes were in your state regarding the fuel and make adjustment via additives to compensate for those changes.
Car is a year old now with 5,500 miles. Engine continues to vibrate annoyingly at idle. 2 dealers performed diagnostic test but could not find anything wrong. Second dealer says it's normal. All the 2.5 NA with cylinder deactivation has this issue. The RPM appears to be low. Not sure if there's a way to increase the RPM at idle, this should solve the problem. The turbo engine runs smoothly at idle but eats quite a bit of oil and will have more issues when it ages such as leaking gaskets.

Upvote 0
Car is a year old now with 5,500 miles. Engine continues to vibrate annoyingly at idle. 2 dealers performed diagnostic test but could not find anything wrong. Second dealer says it's normal. All the 2.5 NA with cylinder deactivation has this issue. The RPM appears to be low. Not sure if there's a way to increase the RPM at idle, this should solve the problem. The turbo engine runs smoothly at idle but eats quite a bit of oil and will have more issues when it ages such as leaking gaskets.

@LACX5 have you considered switching to 5W-30? The engine runs so much smoother and quieter it's not even funny. Switched to 5W-30 from 0W-20

Upvote 0
Have not seen your claim of eating quite a bit of oil. Mine uses none between oil changes. Can't validate the leaking gaskets since I only have 37,000 on odo.

Upvote 0
Have not seen your claim of eating quite a bit of oil. Mine uses none between oil changes. Can't validate the leaking gaskets since I only have 37,000 on odo.
That's great to know if your turbo engine isn't facing this issue. If I get another Mazda, I would give the turbo serious consideration.

Upvote 0
That's great to know if your turbo engine isn't facing this issue. If I get another Mazda, I would give the turbo serious consideration.
From what you're describing in your original post it sounds like your engine is idling too high.
I also have a regular 2.5L NA engine in my 2016 Touring. Normal idle in the 16 is around 600 rpm. I've noticed a slight movement of the tach when the A/C is on but it's nothing really noticable.

Notice nothing in the turbo. Dont think the rpms even move at idle regardless of whats on.

Upvote 0
I'm thinking quite the opposite, that the engine vibration might be due to idle speed being set too low. I've experimented by giving the engine a bit more gas with the transmission in P to increase the RPM to around 800 or 850. At that level, the engine smooths itself out. That lumpy shakiness is eliminated. If the A/C compressor kicks in, the RPM will drop and a bit more gas is necessary. Without intervention, the RPM would hover around 700 to 750 (just an estimate as the tachometer on board is not calibrated to read exact figures). Does anyone know whether the dealer can adjust the idle speed to increase the RPM?

Upvote 0
Thanks! Will try this suggestion. Not sure if the Mazda dealer performing the oil change agrees, also is this going to void the warranty?

In the thread, one of the posters said his dealer had no issue with it. As mentioned in the thread it's a Mazda recommended oil in Europe, Mexico, and elsewhere.

6d6bd214-1092-49f8-915b-e9b29c447ca2-jpeg.314111

I don't use the dealer for any maintenance, though, only independent shops if it's something beyond my skills. (Better value). I used 0W-20 for the first three years of ownership but once I switched I've been happy with the 5W-30. It's a very noticeable difference. I would have switched day one if I heard the difference then.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm all for it if the dealer doesn't object and the factory warranty isn't affected. My first 2 oil changes were free under the Mazda Gold package. Could the 5W-30 make the engine run smoother because it's high viscosity (thicker) oil?

Upvote 0
Back