Vibration at Idle (2022 CX-5)

Does anyone experience a slight engine vibration or shudder whenever your air con compressor kicks in? Is this normal for Mazda 2.5L engines to behave this way? The vibration can be felt while waiting at stoplight or stuck in traffic with the transmission in Drive. Needle on the tach would also swing between 700 and 500 RPM. Car is 2022 model year. Normally a solenoid is used to increase engine RPM whenever the compressor is on to compensate for the extra load. This would eliminate any vibration. Also special rubber mounts are used to decrease any vibration from being sent to the passenger compartment. Not sure if Mazda and the 2.5L engines are built the same way.

Yes, the idle management when the A/C compressor cycles is generally lousy, and the idle is occasionally lumpy when the compressor is running.

Upvote 0
What a shame Mazda's engineers failed to address this during the design phase. It doesn't go well with the upmarket image the company is trying to project. A nice luxury interior is useless if your passenger can also feel the shudder and asks is your car is having engine problems. Another concern is if the vibration is so pronounced when new, what happens 2 to 3 years down the road?

Upvote 0
The vibration doesn't seem to get worse over time, as it isn't caused by marginal components that deteriorate. It *appears* to be endemic to the nature of Skyactiv and a side effect of quite high compression ratios, combined with with direct injection that makes it super difficult to achieve really smooth power balance below 800RPM. As in many things, you choose your battles.

Upvote 0
Thanks. Right now using the park/hold function so the foot doesn't have to be constantly engaged with the brake pedal and keeping hands off the steering wheel when idle seems to offer a partial solution. Less contact with the annoying vibration/shudder. :)

Upvote 0
It is not normal for what you are describing on the Skyactiv engine and MAZDA did do a great programing with the ECU. I have personally looked at many of their mappings. Funny today I was actually in the process of changing my fan temperature mapping and may bump the AC/on engine idle a tad as well.
You may considerer depending of the miles of your MAZDA need to pull your MAS and MAP and spray some electrical cleaner on them. Also the fuel you are using may have changed formulas which always effect the running of the engine. There is some slight adaptive characteristics in the ECU but I am more incline to think about the sensors in your case.
I have close to 40k miles and running the AC the engine is just as smooth as not. The other interesting thing is you did not mention the use of defroster and the idle condition. Because the AC actuates during that stage you should be having the same noticeable engine anomalies?

Upvote 0
Mine has had the lumpy idle since I bought it with 25k on it, It has had a new MAF and a cleaned MAP since then for other reasons. Same occasional lumpiness when the compressor is engaged and when idling back down from 700 to 550 RPM. A friend has a '21 NA with 5k miles. Similar lumpiness with A/C. A loaner Maxda 6, 2.5L NA. Same. Another friend with a '17 Miata. Same, but not as "felt" as it is manual.

Upvote 0
It's a 2022 model with 370 miles. Filled up tank using the highest octane gasoline but that didn't make any difference to the vibration/shudder. The only time engine runs smoothly without any vibrant/shudder is when the A/C is completely switched off. Perhaps dealer should have a look at it?

Upvote 0
Unless there a actual drivability issues, the dealer is just going to say "working as designed".

Upvote 0
It's a 2022 model with 370 miles. Filled up tank using the highest octane gasoline but that didn't make any difference to the vibration/shudder. The only time engine runs smoothly without any vibrant/shudder is when the A/C is completely switched off. Perhaps dealer should have a look at it?
Your engine is not even close to being broken in. The break in is about 9-15k miles. When you reach that lets talk again.

As for running higher octane, that does not change formulation accountability regarding engine performance regarding idle and adjusted Idel speeds. only the octane rating. The ECU will not really see those changes unless they effect the ASFRs and if that is what is happening then there is not much you can do unless you get an ECU performance tune or learn about what the changes were in your state regarding the fuel and make adjustment via additives to compensate for those changes.

Upvote 0
What about the opposite, having a little rough idle, steering wheel/headlight vibration when in drive with foot on brake and NO a/c turned on. Put in park or neutral is smooth. This is on a 2020 2.5t with under 10k miles. Other new 2021 2.5t with 1k miles is smooth as silk under same conditions. Who's got that?

Upvote 0
Again, a "little" rough will get you a "no problem found". They *might* check motor mount alignment, if you talk nice and show a bit of leg. :)

Upvote 0
My engine sounded moderately rough when I bought it. The salesman let me start and listen to another new CX-5 to confirm that it is normal. Sounds trash compared to the V6 Acura I came from.

Still a great car, and while sounding nice is good, durability, economy, and performance are more important.

Upvote 0
It is not normal for what you are describing on the Skyactiv engine and MAZDA did do a great programing with the ECU. I have personally looked at many of their mappings. Funny today I was actually in the process of changing my fan temperature mapping and may bump the AC/on engine idle a tad as well.
You may considerer depending of the miles of your MAZDA need to pull your MAS and MAP and spray some electrical cleaner on them. Also the fuel you are using may have changed formulas which always effect the running of the engine. There is some slight adaptive characteristics in the ECU but I am more incline to think about the sensors in your case.
I have close to 40k miles and running the AC the engine is just as smooth as not. The other interesting thing is you did not mention the use of defroster and the idle condition. Because the AC actuates during that stage you should be having the same noticeable engine anomalies?
I just got a 2022 CX-9 Touring and I was curious what tuner you use. My 2.5T runs flawlessly (and I am a super picky airplane mechanic) so not planning on needing to tweek anything....... yet! Haha

Upvote 0
I just got a 2022 CX-9 Touring and I was curious what tuner you use. My 2.5T runs flawlessly (and I am a super picky airplane mechanic) so not planning on needing to tweek anything....... yet! Haha
Versa Tuner. I like having full access to all the ECU cells to make adjustments. And to log the data on a run to see if I did well or... go back and tweak things.

Upvote 0
My 16 CX-5 does not exhibit the flutter when the A/C compressor kicks in at a stop light.
I have noticed a little tach bounce in my 19 turbo when the compressor kicks in.

You want to see some compressor vibration, drive the CR-V. It's crazy when the compressor and/or cooling fans start. Seems like they come on every 20 seconds when you're sitting still in Drive and the tach bounce/vibration is really noticeable.

Upvote 0
Thanks. Can Versa Tuner disable Cylinder Deactivation in the 2.5 NA ?
Good question but I cant answer that. I have a 2018 , deactivation started in 2019 model MAZDA's. When I look at all my ECU programing/programable area's my 2018 N/A MAZDA does not have deactivation even in a closed area or not applicable area. Sorry I wish I had the answer for you but the Versa Tuner program is model specific for what it can access in the ECU.

Upvote 0
I have a 2018 , deactivation started in 2019 model MAZDA's.

From the U.S. 2018 brochure...
1646510132137.png

Upvote 0
Back