Vehicle not starting - ignition issue?

Wife is the primary driver of our 2008 CX-9. Twice in the past 2 weeks, the vehicle won't start when she turns the starter. She sees dashboard lights come on, but engine doesn't start until after a few retries. Ruled out battery...it tested at 100%. Wondering if this is an ignition problem. Or maybe the anti-theft system is disabling the fuel pump.

Just curious if anyone else has encountered this and come up with a fix.

Thanks,
-PJ

Nope...everything lights up on the dash, so battery and connectors not the issue. Plus, I tested the battery and the terminals were fine.

Did you LOAD test the battery, checking it w/ a volt meter will only give you an open cell votage reading. Not a true indication of whether it is capable of energizing and turining the startor.

check the fuse on the alarm box tucked under the dash, above the clutch. mine went and took me a week to figure it out. one way to check is to see if the alarm is arm'n the car, if it isn't then that's ur problem...but since you said it starts after a while, ur starter solenoid is going. mine started cranking slower and slower and slower and slower, replaced the starter and now starts up right when i hit the key. if it was ur ignition u would first get a real rough idle and a serious hesitation on take off then possibly a check engine light, at least i did.

Last edited:
Does any know if the starter is covered by powertrain warranty?
(if it is the starter, that is)

Does the car have keyless ignition? I sometimes find with my keyless ignition that if my cell phone is in my pocket it covers the key fob so the car doesn't recognize it and the engine won't start. Moving the key in my pocket fixes it. Everything else seems to work so lights and dash etc are active but the hint is that the little red key sign shows up on the speedometer.

Back