Used 2016 or 2017 CX-9? Does it matter?

:
2017 CX9 GT AWD
I will be looking into finding a used 2016 or 2017 CX-9 sometime this year, particularly a GT. Would there be any reason why I should not look at a used 2016 vs the 2017? A reason I might give is because the 2016 was the first year of the new design and any issues might have fixed in the 2017 model year.

But, no matter which year I choose, anything I should be looking for in terms of problems when I check some out, like the suspension or infotainment screen troubles some have had?

Based on the accounts of other owners, I would:

1) Make sure the car you're buying doesn't have Dueler tires. If it does, and you still want it, be sure to take it for a lengthy test drive on the highway to make sure it doesn't have any vibration issues.

2) Make sure the firmware has been updated to the latest version. If it isn't, a quick visit to a Mazda dealership should fix that.

3) Look into any other minor changes that were made from 2016 to 2017. I'm not familiar with these changes, but as an example, the 2018 added thigh seat adjustment, heated 2nd row, and G-Vectoring.

Thanks, sm1ke! For item 1, are Deulers made by Bridgestone and what are the other tires Mazda used for the CX-9? This isn't necessarily a deal-breaker and I could probably use it for price negotiation if they were on there.

For 2, not a big deal to take care of, I suppose.

For 3, unless I could find a really good deal on a 2018, none of those features, while nice, would turn me away from a 2016 or 2017.

So other than those items, it sounds like you don't really have a strong opinion on either year. Thanks for the feedback!

Anyone else?

Our 2018 came with Yokohamas that ride nice and have a decent feel -- no noise issues experienced thus far. As for reliability, I have fully vetted in the ~2 weeks we've owned the car it's been reliable (dunno)

Thanks, sm1ke! For item 1, are Deulers made by Bridgestone and what are the other tires Mazda used for the CX-9? This isn't necessarily a deal-breaker and I could probably use it for price negotiation if they were on there.

For 2, not a big deal to take care of, I suppose.

For 3, unless I could find a really good deal on a 2018, none of those features, while nice, would turn me away from a 2016 or 2017.

So other than those items, it sounds like you don't really have a strong opinion on either year. Thanks for the feedback!

Anyone else?

Oh, regarding #3, I just meant that there were some changes from 2017 to 2018 that I was aware of. I don't know if changes similar to those happened for 2016 to 2017, which is why I suggested looking into that. But I'm sure some owners will chime in when they see this thread. I was not trying to push you towards the 2018.

For #1, Mazda also offered Bridgestone Ecopia tires, Falken tires, and Yokohama tires. I have the Ecopia tires on mine. I think different tires were installed for vehicles that were sold in different regions.

Other than those, I don't think there is anything specific that would make me choose a 2017 over a 2016 (as long as mileage and interior wear is the same).

Last edited:
Oh, regarding #3, I just meant that there were some changes from 2017 to 2018 that I was aware of. I don't know if changes similar to those happened for 2016 to 2017, which is why I suggested looking into that. But I'm sure some owners will chime in when they see this thread. I was not trying to push you towards the 2018.

<snip>

Other than those, I don't think there is anything specific that would make me choose a 2017 over a 2016 (as long as mileage and interior wear is the same).

As long as you're looking at the GT trim, there weren't any real changes between '16 and '17. On the Touring level, though, I believe certain safety features became standard in '17 that were optional in '16.

As long as you're looking at the GT trim, there weren't any real changes between '16 and '17. On the Touring level, though, I believe certain safety features became standard in '17 that were optional in '16.

Thanks colnago1331! I'm primarily looking for a 2016/2017 GT, but I'd probably be interested in a 2017 Touring with the Premium Package. I'm wanting to keep the price sub $33k with less than 20k miles if possible.

We were shopping for a 2018 cx9 signature, but ended up with a 2016 signature for $33k with 7k miles and June/17 activation date. The only thing I found different so far is the parking assist radar in the 2016 only has the rear sensors and not the front sensors displayed on the screen.

If you are shopping for new, just email all the nearby dealers and ask for e plan pricing. They cant give you the promo but most can Match the eplan pricing, which is 4% below invoice. And you would still qualify for the Mazda fiscal year end rebates. (1500 or 0%apr) we were ready to get that until we found our 2016 vehicle.

We were shopping for a 2018 cx9 signature, but ended up with a 2016 signature for $33k with 7k miles and June/17 activation date. The only thing I found different so far is the parking assist radar in the 2016 only has the rear sensors and not the front sensors displayed on the screen.

If you are shopping for new, just email all the nearby dealers and ask for e plan pricing. They can’t give you the promo but most can Match the eplan pricing, which is 4% below invoice. And you would still qualify for the Mazda fiscal year end rebates. (1500 or 0%apr) we were ready to get that until we found our 2016 vehicle.

There are quite a few differences from the 16 Sig to the 18 Sig. Sounds like you got a decent deal on your 16, congrats.

That's a great price! How much negotiation did you need to do to get down to that price? Did that include a trade-in of some kind?

Back