upstream/pre-cat 02 sensor replacement

JesseM

:
2003 Protege5
Last edited:
By the looks of it, it will fit to replace the downstream O2 sensor. If your unsure about it, you should contact the seller if you have doubts. Did you manage to find a link for the upstream O2 sensor? I looked locally and they charged me 200 + wtf.

Hey fellas,

I called this store and they said this particular 02 sensor wouldn't fit, but its for up to 2003 proteges with the 2.0L engine. I have a 2003 protege5.

Here's the part- http://www.ebay.ca/itm/PRE-CAT-OXYGEN-SENSOR-MAZDA-PROTEGE-2001-2002-2003-/160949041817?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item25794f7a99

Can anyone here confirm that this would fit my p5?

Muchos Gracias!
You can always go to an auto parts store and they can figure out which one you need. Bosch ones have a connection kit where you splice the wires with the car's connection plug. I don't know if the upstream and downstream O2 sensors are actually different other than length of the wires.

I'm pretty sure O2 sensors can differ in their internal circuitry,... They may screw in and plug in fine but still not operate properly.
Make sure there is some kind of reference table to compare them to make sure they are compatible.

^yeah, i'm not sure either...most part stores list them as different part numbers with significantly different prices...making only a connector color/type difference kind of unlikely

By the looks of it, it will fit to replace the downstream O2 sensor. If your unsure about it, you should contact the seller if you have doubts. Did you manage to find a link for the upstream O2 sensor? I looked locally and they charged me 200 + wtf.

Yeah locally its around $200 also. Tweety2300 confirmed in another thread that all the sensors are the same on the 2.0L engines, so this precat/upstream one I linked should work! Rockauto also has one but after shipping its the same price and takes over a week to arrive, so I'm going to order this one and see how it goes.

Thanks for the replies fellas

edit: Part has been ordered, I will update the thread in a week or two if it works or not. Free shipping so its probably slow but shipped from within Canada so no border delays. Should be here within a week.

Last edited:
Well that oxygen sensor works just fine. Just drove 250km and a few trips around town, no more check engine light!

Also PB Blaster is the best product ever made. I had to cut the old connector off and slide a wrench over the old sensor (o2 sensor removal socket stuck out too much and kept slipping) but it just took one good yank and out it came, after spraying with PB Blaster twice over the previous 24 hours. The engine was also still warm about 30 mins after driving home from work which might have helped.

Last edited:
Back