Tweeters - Install Question

avera01

:
Mazda2
Hi Folks,

I am new to this forum and recently purchased a red Mazda 2 manual Sport model. I really love the car and would like to add the factory tweeters from the Touring model (Approx $80 - interestingly, the right tweeter cost about $12 more than the left; perhaps it includes some circuitry)

Does any one know if the Sport car is prewired for a tweeter install?

I looked at the parts for the stereo and both models uses the same stereo guts, fr and rr speakers, the only difference is the tweeters. The tweeters come with the required black trim. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Also, is there any issue or trick with removing the door panel and tweeter trim? I have not yet started to take things apart and wanted some advice before doing so.

Thanks,

Andrew

That is great news, thanks. Hopefully the old trim just pops off.

BTW, as a temporary improvement, I am using a portable HeadRoom headphones amp in between my cellphone (which plays music better than my Ipod) and the aux input. It is battery powered, quite small and makes a huge difference in the sound quality of the stock speakers. The notes are clear and distinct, the bass can overpower the speakers with it on, but by tuning the bass controls on the radio down to -4 or -5, the sound is exceptionally good from stock speakers. The extra power from the amp boosts the sound and it can be quite loud.

Do you guys happen to have the part numbers for the tweeters? The parts department at my dealer said he could get them but he was quoting me like $120 or more, I can't remember the exact dollar figure. Have you installed them yet? Is it really as simple as snapping them into place?

I'm in the same situation with my Sport - I'd really like to have the tweeters but I didn't need all the other stuff the Touring came with.

The tweeters up here in CAD are about $100 from my dealer, they do just snap on and off (With my own audio install i've had the pods in and out and the door panels off far too many times!) and there is a small mini-molex style pin connector in behind the stock pods. That should just snap in to the tweeters.

Just to follow up on what was said by Gravity, I have the 4 speaker version (Sport Model) and was going to buy the tweeters. The original non tweeter black "pods" just pop off without removing the door panel and there is wiring behind the old pod to connect the tweeters to. Is that correct?

Thanks,

Andrew

That is absolutely correct. The wiring harness is actually 'snapped' into the original pods.. as if there was a tweeter there.

Just to follow up on what was said by Gravity, I have the 4 speaker version (Sport Model) and was going to buy the tweeters. The original non tweeter black "pods" just pop off without removing the door panel and there is wiring behind the old pod to connect the tweeters to. Is that correct?

Thanks,

Andrew

So, I ordered my tweeters and I tried to put them in today - the passenger one went without a hitch, but I got to the driver side and the wiring isn't there! It was exactly as described on the passenger side, plugged into the blank plate. But it's just not there on the driver side!

Has anyone done this before and seen this problem? I thought maybe they just forgot to plug the harness into the plate and it was somewhere down in the door panel, but in feeling around with my finger I haven't found anything.

So now I have one tweeter :(

Try taking the door panel off. Mine was discounted from the tweeter and the wire was had to be feed back up.

Yea. The doors aren't too hard to get off. Two screws, then pop-tabs around the bottom and sides, then lift the door straight up and then out. Once you've done that you have to disconnect the door handle and the two wiring harnesses.

Thanks again, everyone! I wouldn't even have known I could do this at all without you.

Now I just need a day that's not raining...no garage :(

Tweeters

what size tweeter do they have? i have the touring model and am looking to upgrade the factory tweets

As a side note, the tweeter wiring on the sport model was only in the driver door. I did not find the wiring in the passenger door. I opted to not to use the Mazda tweeters and bought Polk component speaker for the front and coaxial for the rear. Also to Kidmotor, although I am not an expert, if you try to upgrade the factory tweeters, you will need to upgrade the woofers and probably get a crossover. Simply changing the tweeters may not work and trying to find tweeters alone may limit your selection. The simplest thing to do is to replace the door speakers and the tweeters together, but keeping the original tweeter panels (just remove the original tweeters) and glue in the new ones. I have the Sport model and decided to place the tweeters in the door panel closer to the woofer.

Last edited:
As a side note, the tweeter wiring on the sport model was only in the driver door. I did not find the wiring in the passenger door.

Really?? I had the exact opposite experience. Passenger door the harness was right there waiting for me but the driver door it wasn't. My plan is to take the door panel off and see what's up but it's been roasting hot here all summer and I don't have a garage. So I've just been rocking one tweeter for a couple months.

Did you ever find the driver side tweeter wiring? My passenger side is right there, but nothing on the driver side - very odd.

I also am looking to install tweeters, I found the wiring in the right but not left panel. I have changed the speakers already so I snipped the tweeter wires. They are still there but I was wondering do I simply connect - to - and + to + at the speaker and then to the tweeter?

IE do I have 2 hot and 2 netural at the speaker and run the two wires to the tweeters?

Is there anything I might be missing? I installed Alpine Speakers so I know that the driver side has no tweeter wiring...do I just need to buy 6 feet of wire and splice it at the speaker?

Thanks in Advance!

Andrew

UPPPP

So... I'm trying to install tweeter on my sport model and the wiring for the driver side is nowhere to be found. Not in the old pod, not behind the door trim, nowhere. The passanger side wiring is right there behind the pod. It would be strange for mazda to wire just one side IMO

Any help with this now ?

Can a gentleman with a touring mazda2 take pics of where the wiring for the driver side tweeter is run? That would be very kind. I can even give some $$$ on paypal to the person that help me.

Have a nice one

Back