Turbo replaced, now consuming oil ... dealer says 'it's normal"

robin2660

:
2007 Mazdaspeed3
Pretty much says it all. Turbo replaced under warranty due to smoking at idle. They also replaced the breathing system w/new valve cover, with the hopes of that fixing the smoking turbo, first. Now it's consuming about a quart per 1000 miles. I have to go in to talk to them today. They had the car yesterday to try to discover the problem. I don't know if I should pick up the car or not ....

On the phone, the service writer says they did a compression check that shows all is OK there. The only other possibility for loss of oil is leaks (none), valve guide seals leaking, or through the PCV system. Amiright?

Even if it were normal (which it's not, because the car NEVER consumed enough oil to add between changes), I find it impossible to accept that, in fixing one condition, they've created another. In my opinion, the new condition is worse than the original problem. Can this oil burning lead to more costly issues, for example?

So, I guess I'm looking for suggestions/guidance in how to deal with the dealer. I suspect the fix is going to be on them and they just don't want to pay their mechanics to do the job (though they were happy to do the warranty work).

over 60 views and none of you wizards have anything for me? :-(
I gotta go get the car in a few hours. I have little experience in "negotiating" such things. I mean, can they just tell me to **** off? Do I have recourse? Are they trying to get out of fixing the car on their nickel since they ****** up? This doesn't seem to be a KNOWN ISSUE with these cars after the so-called "turbo fix", as far as I can tell, which means either a) they ****** up or b) Mazda ****** up.

Just another note ... dealer doesn't say "it's normal". The service writer claims that Mazda USA claims it's normal.

It probably falls within a window that Mazda Corp calls normal but you and I know when the Speed is running right it consumes next to no oil. I cant tell you how to handle the dealer but all makes have a policy (a window that is acceptable) of oil consumption. Do you use 5W-40 or 5W-30?

to the last. most likely he does not use any of those. only few dealers are mod friendly and would not replace anything under warranty if there is something on the veh. that voids it. now being at mod friendly dealer and ones that does mods we will do certain. but if directly related no. have you done a real consumption test to see if it is really a qrt or a little less or just seems like a qrt. consumption test you can do yourself. all it is is keep track of oil line on stick checking every 1k or 500 in your case if really losing a qrt of oil in 1k. this will say how much really losing. the valve cover thing thing they did. is a vent kit. some things we do because mazda engineers say do this before this. one because usually the vent kit really does solve MS3 smoking issues but also do to warranty cost. the vent kit costs mazda way less then a new turbo does. my suggestion draw the dipstick and line of oil every 500 for at least 2000 miles and really see how to exact how much your losing I will say losing that much oil having worked on a lot of MS3's does not seem normal at all. the turbo will eat some oil. and if the inlet is bad the turbo will bypass oil right out of the intake. if a possible pcv problem go to a catch can system. stock pcv systems are not the best. stock is not always the best. then you can at least replenish the oil your losing if due to pcv issues. hope this helps

Dealer checked compression, turbo inlet for oil, etc. and can't seem to identify the source. He mentioned a purge valve or check valve or something of the sort but didn't check it.

In my thinking, the oil definitely has to be going through the intake. How else can it get there other than through the PCV system? That means something is faulty there. Is my logic wrong? The car never consumed any oil before the "fix" where they FIRST replaced the valve cover and new PCV system which didn't work, and then they replaced the turbo. It was only after this that the car started consuming oil at the rate of about a quart every thousand miles, more in start/go driving than on the highway. There is NO NOTICEABLE smoke and the car is BONE STOCK. No leaks.

Thanks for your help, guys.

Just occurred to me that someone else had this same problem as you on another forum. Turned out his oil cooler had cracked and he would only lose oil while driving. It was hard to detect cause there would never be any oil on the ground. It either cracked or the gasket had blown. Check oil cooler closely. A quick check is open the hood...stand in front of the dipstick area...look down between the radiator and the engine block at the lower engine shroud. If the oil cooler is leaking there will be a wet area below the dipstick on the shroud.

Last edited:
*Dead thread commenting*

Its the f'n PCV system. it cant keep the block from building PSI which in turn backs the oil up into the turbo.
This oil pushes past the seal and you get your smoking turbo. New, old, doesn't matter because the issue isn't a bad turbo seal.

Try this fix if you haven't got it licked yet. Worked like a charm for me. It completely stopped my smoking turbo issues

http://damnfastdd.com/Products/Show/Mazda+DIZI+2.3+Turbo+PCV+Fix

Back