Turbo Oil Change At Independent Repair Shop

I am wondering what filter an Independent shop uses? When I check filters from NAPA and Advance Auto, all I find are the same part number for turbo and non turbo. Does anyone have experience with a turbo oil change at an Independent and did they use a turbo only filter?

As a Forum member, I am fully aware of the two filters but I am sure the majority of owners are not and just trust the shop or dealer to use the correct one. I plan to buy a Mazda filter and take it to the Independent. My wife, who drives the CX5, thinks I am crazy...I tell her I am Forum member and we are all crazy about oil filters.

The best method when getting service is to ask up front about what the shop uses when scheduling it. Some shops only use Napa, others only use Bob's discount auto parts -- ask. Of course bringing your own parts and fluids helps ensure correct fitment and application (that is if you bring the correct parts/fluids).

I agree with your assessment....In this situation, I'd buy the correct Mazda filter and bring it to the shop. And remind them about using 5w-30, not 0w-20.

- Mark
Remind them about using 5W-30 full synthetic oil. Or just bring your own oil.

Last edited:
The best method when getting service is to ask up front about what the shop uses when scheduling it. Some shops only use Napa, others only use Bob's discount auto parts -- ask. Of course bringing your own parts and fluids helps ensure correct fitment and application (that is if you bring the correct parts/fluids).
And remind them to leave empty and left-over oil bottles and oil filter box in trunk.

I am concerned if my wife takes it into an Independent for an oil change and what filter gets used since Napa and the ones that Advance Auto sell all only list one filter for all 2019 CX5 models. They do not distinguish between turbo and non turbo. One could run into warranty issues when you have to show invoices for oil changes and it shows a filter that is not designed for the turbo.

I know the difference and the correct oil. I have learned a lot from the Forum. I had to stand and watch as the Mazda dealer redid my first oil change on the 2019 CX 5 Sig. The original oil change was done for a non turbo which I caught on the invoice. The excuse was that they had not sold very many turbo cars.

Simple. Buy your own 5W-30 synthetic oil and correct for the turbo Mazda factory filters. Bring to the shop and pay only for their labor.
You will need 5.5 qts of oil most likely in order to fill to the top mark on the dipstick after an oil & filter change. So you will need to buy 2 five quart jugs. Resist the temptation to buy oil by the quart. You will see that you can buy a 5 quart jug for $24-$27 but a 1 quart bottle may be $10-$12 ! Have the shop give you back the remaining oil in the jug which will then last you for a few more changes when you buy just one more 5 qt jug each time.

I am concerned if my wife takes it into an Independent for an oil change and what filter gets used since Napa and the ones that Advance Auto sell all only list one filter for all 2019 CX5 models. They do not distinguish between turbo and non turbo. One could run into warranty issues when you have to show invoices for oil changes and it shows a filter that is not designed for the turbo.

I know the difference and the correct oil. I have learned a lot from the Forum. I had to stand and watch as the Mazda dealer redid my first oil change on the 2019 CX 5 Sig. The original oil change was done for a non turbo which I caught on the invoice. The excuse was that they had not sold very many turbo cars.

I keep a few of the OEM filters on hand, just in case. Same with the 5W-30 oil. I would suggest that you do the same. Or if the oil change is coming up, buy the OEM filter and 5W-30 oil ahead of time and then have a chat with your wife about using the oil and filters you have and nothing else.

Simple. Buy your own 5W-30 synthetic oil and correct for the turbo Mazda factory filters. Bring to the shop and pay only for their labor.
You will need 5.5 qts of oil most likely in order to fill to the top mark on the dipstick after an oil & filter change. So you will need to buy 2 five quart jugs. Resist the temptation to buy oil by the quart. You will see that you can buy a 5 quart jug for $24-$27 but a 1 quart bottle may be $10-$12 ! Have the shop give you back the remaining oil in the jug which will then last you for a few more changes when you buy just one more 5 qt jug each time.
If I use 5W-30 full synthetic oil with 5-quart jug and pay the labor doing the oil change by the shop or dealer, I’d just give the shop 1 5-quart jug and top the oil off by myself with the second jug. This’s for preventing over-fill by those shops and dealers which happens too often. And ask the empty jug left in the trunk making sure they actually used your oil.

Last edited:
This ^^^. I don't want them pumping from that giant vat of oil. As a side note, I wouldn't trust most places to change my pine cone air freshener.

That said, I *may* consider letting the dealer do the first few oil changes as it let's them look for loose/worn parts that may be covered under warranty. They love looking for stuff like that since they get paid and it costs you nothing.

That said, I *may* consider letting the dealer do the first few oil changes as it let's them look for loose/worn parts that may be covered under warranty. They love looking for stuff like that since they get paid and it costs you nothing.
This’s partially true. While dealers get paid by car manufacturers, but only with discounted rate on labor, and almost no margin on parts. Any major work also requires pre-approval. If the dealer is busy for non-warranty work, they have slight interest in doing warranty work.

If I use 5W-30 full synthetic oil with 5-gallon jug and pay the labor doing the oil change by the shop or dealer, I’d just give the shop 1 5-gallon jug and top the oil off by myself with the second jug. This’s for preventing over-fill by those shops and dealers which happens too often. And ask the empty jug left in the trunk making sure they actually used your oil.
I think you meant 5-quart jug.

I think an independent shop who will use my oil and filter deserves a $5 tip for the sale he lost on the oil & filter. Ed

Another reason why I always do it myself

I just changed my oil and filter on my 2021 GT Turbo (GTR in the USA) at an independent shop. Brought my own oil, filter, and gasket to them, and they just did the work. I like the transparency at an independent shop, where you can watch your car being worked on. I like knowing that the work was done properly and the correct oil and filter was used, as opposed to the dealer where you take a gamble and the work is done by the lowest skilled and most novice techs.

As an aside, the engine does seem to run smoother and quieter with the new, fresh oil.

I just changed my oil and filter on my 2021 GT Turbo (GTR in the USA) at an independent shop. Brought my own oil, filter, and gasket to them, and they just did the work. I like the transparency at an independent shop, where you can watch your car being worked on. I like knowing that the work was done properly and the correct oil and filter was used, as opposed to the dealer where you take a gamble and the work is done by the lowest skilled and most novice techs.

As an aside, the engine does seem to run smoother and quieter with the new, fresh oil.
Gasket?

It’s a “2021 CX-5 GT Turbo”, do you mind to tell us which country are you in? It seemed very early to have an oil change on a 2021, how many miles or km on your CX-5? What kind of oil and viscosity, and how much oil did you actually put in to your 2.5T?

Back