CX-5 Turbo models have bigger brakes

:
'21 CX-5 CE-T
Was looking through the parts/specs of the cx5 models and saw that the turbo models have bigger brakes.

Can anyone confirm this?

Was looking through the parts/specs of the cx5 models and saw that the turbo models have bigger brakes.

Can anyone confirm this?
The front not only just has the bigger brakes with the 2.5T, but also it has dual-piston calipers instead of single-piston calipers on the 2.5L.

Interesting. Did not know that either.
Can the larger brakes be installed on a non turbo car? Would it be worth it I wonder.

Yes, it's been referred to a number of times in these forums. The 16" spare won't physically fit over the front brakes on the Turbo.

Woah woah.. You mean to tell me that there's a spare tired on this car that cannot be used ON this car in any tire position?

Or am I reading this wrong?

Woah woah.. You mean to tell me that there's a spare tired on this car that cannot be used ON this car in any tire position?

Or am I reading this wrong?
Yes, if you have a 2.5T with bigger front brakes.

Even thought the T145/90D16 compact spare given by Mazda will fit all 4 corners on the 2.5L, but it has an outside diameter of 26.3", and the 225/55R19 road tires have an outside diameter of 28.7". It’ll trigger the TPMS warning light if we use it.

If all the spare tire does is trigger a TPMS warning, I can live with that for the "X" number of miles I need to drive on it. It was my understanding that the spare tire physically would not fit on the front wheels due to the larger brake components.

Please clarify!

If all the spare tire does is trigger a TPMS warning, I can live with that for the "X" number of miles I need to drive on it. It was my understanding that the spare tire physically would not fit on the front wheels due to the larger brake components.

Please clarify!
It physically will not fit on the front of the turbo models.

The well in the back has room for a full-height spare. It's inexcusable that they don't supply one like they used to. I've replaced mine with a full height, but narrow, tire and wheel.

Again, please clarify.
Has Mazda included a spare tire that won't fit on the Turbo model?
I find that incredibly hard to believe, and possibly illegal.

Update:
I just checked on line, and you'd think it would be mandatory, but it's not. There is no law that says they have to provide a spare. Brutal.

…There is no law that says they have to provide a spare. Brutal.

Why would this be “brutal”? A great many current vehicles either do not include a spare or have it as an ordering option. Tire tech has improved substantially in the past decade or more and flats are rare. That doesn’t help if you are one of the few who get a flat though.

The past four vehicles I’ve owned did not have flats, even with nails and screws through the tread into the air chamber. I inspect my tires regularly for these, and if I find one it’s off to Discount Tire for a free repair. That’s a heck of a lot less trouble than changing a flat along the side of the road in the mud while its raining…

If you get a flat tire on the front and you absolutely need to use the spare, you’d have to first install the spare on the rear. Then use that good rear tire that you just took off and change the flat on the front.

Not the most elegant solution and clearly twice the work, but it’d get you back on the road.

If you get a flat tire on the front and you absolutely need to use the spare, you’d have to first install the spare on the rear. Then use that good rear tire that you just took off and change the flat on the front.

Not the most elegant solution and clearly twice the work, but it’d get you back on the road.
that's actually how you're supposed to do it for any flat of a front tire. the spare is always supposed to go on the rear axle

that's actually how you're supposed to do it for any flat of a front tire. the spare is always supposed to go on the rear axle

Thank you both.

To clarify, for the 2.5T models only, the spare does not fit on the front wheel hubs because of the larger brake components. It has always been able to be mounted to the rear. Correct use of the spare if you get a flat up front (for most, maybe all modern cars), is to mount the spare to the rear, then replace the bad front wheel with the removed rear wheel. You might get some warning lights, but its nothing to worry about as you'd only be using the spare to get to a tire shop anyway.

Others have pointed out that this isn't an ideal solution, especially for those with the 2.5T, because if you happen to need to replace a flat on the side of the highway or in a bad neighbourhood, you have to do twice the work (twice the time), compared to having a spare that fits on the front. At least if you have a spare that fits on the front, you can change the tire and get yourself to safety quicker, then move the spare to the rear in the safety of a parking lot or garage.

I find it odd that my owner’s manual makes no mention of the supposed need to juggle the wheels if there is a flat on the front. Who has actually tried to fit the spare on the front of a turbo model (not just read about it on the internet) and found that it indeed does not fit?

Here’s what my owner’s manual says:

“Do not install the temporary spare tyre on the front wheels (driving wheels):
Driving with the temporary spare tyre on one of the front driving wheels is dangerous. Handling will be affected. You could lose control of the vehicle, especially on ice or snow bound roads, and have an accident. Move a regular tyre to the front wheel and install the temporary spare tyre to the rear.”

Back