CX-5 Turbo models have bigger brakes

And nothing about the spare not fitting, as I suspected. Again, who has actually tried to fit the spare on the front and found that it did not fit?

And nothing about the spare not fitting, as I suspected. Again, who has actually tried to fit the spare on the front and found that it did not fit?
Here:

Hi all,
I was inspired to join because I recently had the "pleasure" of hitting a chunk of buckled pavement that destroyed my "19 CX-5 Reserve front left rim/tire.
I pulled over onto a triangle patch of asphalt sandwiched between an off ramp and the regular flow of highway traffic; I just wanted to get out of there fast.
To my amazement, and that of a Wisconsin State Trooper, I(we) could not understand why the spare would not fit on the front. Yes we both know where the spare SHOULD be mounted, but again...get the heck out of there. In this situation all logic went out the window so duh swapping tires should have been a thought.
I was 4-5 miles from home 1 mile from a dealership. Come on man.
Had it towed to the dealership and guess what, they spent 20 minutes trying to figure out why the spare wouldn't fit on the front. Diagnoses: brake caliper most be too big for the spare. How about the entirely wrong spare in the first place.
Anyway, thanks to all of you who took the time here to help all Mazda owners who should be replacing their unusable spare tires.
As a side note I filed a complaint with NHTSA, only time will tell.

Edit: I found an unused 18" spare (still has the little nubbies on the tread) from a '15 CX-9 for $93 delivered.
Perfect fit on the FRONT; same clearance as the alloy wheel from the twin piston caliper and a diameter
difference of one tenth of an inch. Problem solved.
There are more spares out there; I used partshotlines.com.

I can’t tell for other models but the my ‘19 reserve spare won’t fit in the front wheels, only the rear wheels. Brakes are too big for the spare. I recommend buying a not too wide 17” wheel and tire. Should fit nicely and the subwoofer too.

Spare tire wont fit in front wheels. or am i missing something? 19 gt reserve
It hits the brake calipers.

Wow, glad this was brought up.

In my driving life, I have not had a lot of luck with getting flats. This is really good to know.

So the 17" spare won't clear the brake calipers? That is really, really dumb.

I guess since Mazda (and many manufacturers) recommend never using the spare on the front they didn't worry about providing a larger spare for just the turbo models. Kinda makes sense since most owners never, ever buy a new spare tire, and spares are not going to be a match for an aftermarket tire so in 8-10 years, or less, those are dangerous to use on the front wheels. I guess you could toss a can of fix-a-flat in the spare tire well and use that if you get a flat on the front and can't wait for AAA. (note to self, buy a can and portable tire pump).

Wow, glad this was brought up.

In my driving life, I have not had a lot of luck with getting flats. This is really good to know.
Yes.

So the 17" spare won't clear the brake calipers? That is really, really dumb.
No, the compact spare Mazda provides on CX-5 in US and Canada is 16”, T145/90D16 to be exact.

I guess since Mazda (and many manufacturers) recommend never using the spare on the front they didn't worry about providing a larger spare for just the turbo models. Kinda makes sense since most owners never, ever buy a new spare tire, and spares are not going to be a match for an aftermarket tire so in 8-10 years, or less, those are dangerous to use on the front wheels. I guess you could toss a can of fix-a-flat in the spare tire well and use that if you get a flat on the front and can't wait for AAA. (note to self, buy a can and portable tire pump).
Mazda used to provide larger T155/90D18 compact spare which has the same outer diameter with the road tires in early gen-1 CX-5’s with AWD. In fact, when I purchased my 2016 CX-5 GT AWD in March 2015, the spec sheet posted on Mazds website at the time still clearly stated T155/90D18 on spare for AWD! Mazda lied as I found my CX-5 AWD actually got smaller T145/90D16 spare like the FWD CX-5!

Be aware of using the can of fix-a-flat. Your tire will be ruined once you put the stuff into the flat tire and the stuff can never be cleaned up. I’d never use it unless I’m ready to get a new set of tires. Then it’s a hassle to clean up the stuff sticking on the wheel, and don’t know if the TPMS sensor can still be functioning.

Last edited:
Same procedure on any vehicle with a limited slip differential powering the front wheels or in RWD applications the rear wheels. Mazdaspeed Protege guys are familiar with this routine.

Not sure if the CX ever came with an LSD but the procedure is not unheard of for many vehicles.

The CX is not “many vehicles”. It certainly isn’t a Honda or Toyota or Chevrolet - one reason I purchased a Mazda was because they don’t do everything like other manufacturers do.

But they do do safety better than those other makes. Thus bigger front brakes on turbos, having the best side impact protection per new IIHS testing, full suite of safety features on all trim levels, advising against using the spare on the front, etc.

So the 17" spare won't clear the brake calipers?

This is the clearance on a turbo model with a 17" Hyundai Sante Fe spare. I measured the gap at .400", maybe a few thousandths less at the center of the caliper. The T165/90R17 tire has the same diameter as the road tires so I wouldn't hesitate to run it on the front, the only limiting factor is the tire's recommended max speed is 80kph (50 mph) which seems ridiculous. They make bicycle tires that can handle higher speeds than that! I have a feeling the nanny corporate lawyers had their hand in that speed rating.

spare.jpg

⋯ advising against using the spare on the front, etc.
But failed to mention the 16” compact spare provided can’t fit the front on the 2.5T, and did the false advertising on spare tire spec to my 2016 CX-5 AWD.

Honestly, have you ever changed the tire on the road side of the interstate highway with factory provided jack? I did several times, and I’ll never do the tire change twice under that circumstance as it’s so dangerous with many 18 wheelers passing by. If I had a flat at front, I simply put on my own 18” compact spare and drive away as soon as possible to a nearest Discount Tire Store.

This is the clearance on a turbo model with a 17" Hyundai Sante Fe spare. I measured the gap at .400", maybe a few thousandths less at the center of the caliper. The T165/90R17 tire has the same diameter as the road tires so I wouldn't hesitate to run it on the front, the only limiting factor is the tire's recommended max speed is 80kph (50 mph) which seems ridiculous. They make bicycle tires that can handle higher speeds than that! I have a feeling the nanny corporate lawyers had their hand in that speed rating.

spare.jpg
Researched this last month.

OEM cx5 19 wheel - 28.7" dia
OEM cx5 17 wheel - 28.5" dia
OEM cx5 16 spare - 26.3" dia
on dismal 145 90r16 tire.
Narrow contact patch.
Diameter to screw up your AWD even if non turbo.
Won't clear front brakes/fit on turbo

Choice for upgraded spare:
Find 17x4 rim to fit Mazda:

165 90r17 Kuhmo 121 spare -
28.7" dia @50 mph max -
20 mm wider contact patch

155 90r17 Kuhmo 131 spare -
28" dia @ 80 mph max-
10 mm wider contact patch.
** This is a 2.4% change from the 19" diameter of 28.7". While better than the 16" spare provided by Mazda corp, please do your own research and verify this won't screw your AWD **

Find 18x4 rim to fit mazda:

155 90r18 Kuhmo 131 spare -
29" dia @ 80 mph max -
10 mm wider contact patch

There used to be 165 90r17 Kuhmo rated for 80 mph but appears was discontinued. Good luck trying to find one of those.
Already tried.

I chose to go with the 165
Kuhmo 121 rated for 50 mph and have wider patch and possibly more control.

But for those who want a spare that can get 80 mph, the Kuhmo 131 is rated as such. The spare might allow one to go the speed limit of 60 or 65 mph but read your manual and make your own decisions.

** For anyone considering this, doing so on the front and traveling up to 80 mph might not be advisable however and very well could be unsafe and illegal. Please do your own research, heed any safety warnings and take your own risks**

The average M speed rating of 81 mph for the Kuhmo 131 tire was from multiple reseller websites including Walmart, Amazon, Simpe-tire, Discount tire, Tire-rack, etc. Poster is not responsible for misinformation from major tire reseller websites. To be sure, suggest before you buy the spare, you go to store and actually look at speed rating on tire and what the max speed mph the label says on tire.

For all those reading, including non-forum members, this post was for informational purposes only and is not advising or recommended any one solution. Please do your own research and be responsible for your own actions. * Something that seems to be lacking in today's society.*

Last edited:
Researched this last month.

OEM cx5 19 wheel - 28.7" dia
OEM cx5 17 wheel - 28.5" dia
OEM cx5 16 spare - 26.3" dia
on dismal 145 90r16 tire.
Narrow contact patch.
Diameter to screw up your AWD even if non turbo.
Won't clear front brakes/fit on turbo

Choice for upgraded spare:
Find 17x4 rim to fit Mazda:

165 90r17 Kuhmo 121 spare -
28.7" dia @50 mph max -
20 mm wider contact patch

155 90r17 Kuhmo 131 spare -
28" dia @ 80 mph max-
10 mm wider contact patch.
** This is a 2.4% change from the 19" diameter of 28.7". While better than the 16" spare provided by Mazda corp, please do your own research and verify this won't screw your AWD **

Find 18x4 rim to fit mazda:

155 90r18 Kuhmo 131 spare -
29" dia @ 80 mph max -
10 mm wider contact patch

There used to be 165 90r17 Kuhmo rated for 80 mph but appears was discontinued. Good luck trying to find one of those.
Already tried.

I chose to go with the 165
Kuhmo 121 rated for 50 mph and have wider patch and possibly more control.

But for those who want a spare that can get 80 mph, the Kuhmo 131 is rated as such. The spare might allow one to go the speed limit of 60 or 65 mph but read your manual and make your own decisions.

** For anyone considering this, doing so on the front and traveling up to 80 mph might not be advisable however and very well could be unsafe and illegal. Please do your own research, heed any safety warnings and take your own risks**

The average M speed rating of 81 mph for the Kuhmo 131 tire was from multiple reseller websites including Walmart, Amazon, Simpe-tire, Discount tire, Tire-rack, etc. Poster is not responsible for misinformation from major tire reseller websites. To be sure, suggest before you buy the spare, you go to store and actually look at speed rating on tire and what the max speed mph the label says on tire.

For all those reading, including non-forum members, this post was for informational purposes only and is not advising or recommended any one solution. Please do your own research and be responsible for your own actions. * Something that seems to be lacking in today's society.*
Thanks for sharing this great research!

Wonder if the moderator can pull all that into a new thread titled how to have a proper spare for the CX-5?

The speed ratings on the temporary spares is confusing. On the Kumho I have it states not to exceed 50mph, but it also has a load/speed rating of 116M. The M denotes a tire rated to 81mph. Falken tires also lists a T165/9017 spare with an M rating (59000810). In fact, there isn't any lower rating for temporary spares than M. Knowing that people tend to push the limits of anything & everything, is it possible that the corporate lawyers came up with an arbitrary 31mph safety factor just to avoid liability?

Last edited:
The speed ratings on the temporary spares is confusing. On the Kumho I have it states not to exceed 50mph, but it also has a load/speed rating of 116M. The M denotes a tire rated to 81mph. Falken tires also lists a T165/9017 spare with an M rating (59000810). In fact, there isn't any lower rating for temporary spares than M. Knowing that people tend to push the limits of anything & everything, is it possible that the corporate lawyers came up with an arbitrary 31mph safety factor just to avoid liability?
I believe the M speed rating, 81 mph / 130 km/h on these compact spares is correct. The tire may be self-destruct if the car speed is over 81 mph. 50 mph driving speed limit when we have the compact spare on is for safety as the car could have lost control easily at faster speed than 50 mph with the tiny spare tire on.

On the other hand, I don’t feel comfortable each time I pump the air to 60 psi on the compact spare, as not only the fine print on the sidewall says 60 psi is the maximum tire inflation pressure, but also there always has an additional big warning on the sidewall saying the same thing!

Last edited:
I believe the M speed rating, 81 mph / 130 km/h on these compact spares is correct. The tire may be self-destruct if the car speed is over 81 mph. 50 mph driving speed limit when we have the compact spare on is for safety as the car could have lost control easily at faster speed than 50 mph with the tiny spare tire on.
So the takeaway on this is that with an M rating, it's probably ok to exceed 50 mph if I'm out on the interstate just going straight and trying to keep up with traffic, but I shouldn't hit the local autocross course with my Kumho spare on the way home. ;)

So the takeaway on this is that with an M rating, it's probably ok to exceed 50 mph if I'm out on the interstate just going straight and trying to keep up with traffic, but I shouldn't hit the local autocross course with my Kumho spare on the way home. ;)
Honestly I believe the overall diameter is very important even on the FWD. When I mounted small factory T145/90D16 106M compact spare at right-front, there were all kind of noises I can hear, should be from the fast spinning front differential gears due to the overall diameter difference between the two front tires.

Honestly I believe the overall diameter is very important even on the FWD. When I mounted small factory T145/90D16 106M compact spare at right-front, there were all kind of noises I can hear, should be from the fast spinning front differential gears due to the overall diameter difference between the two front tires.
And that's the reason I ditched the factory spare and sourced a 17" wheel and tire combo that has the same diameter as the road tires.

Long side story: After I got the 17" wheel I put the factory spare on Craigslist. I included a picture, said what it came from, and said the wheel was a 5x114.3 lug pattern. Some guy called and said he'd take it for my $50 asking price. Great, gave him my address and waited outside for him to show up. Pretty soon, here he comes down the street, driving faster than what is considered ok for a neighborhood with kids. Now most people park on the street and walk up the drive, but not this guy, he blows up the driveway and stops close enough that I took a step back in self preservation. He's driving a Mercedes. Middle-aged overweight guy gets out, rambling about being late for a golf game and says he's in a hurry. I ask him what kind of car he's buying the spare for and he points at the Mercedes. Says he "lost the spare that came with the car." My head is spinning. First of all, how do you lose a spare, and second, this one won't fit. I tell him it has the wrong lug pattern for a Mercedes but he won't listen. Says it's a 5 lug wheel so it'll fit. I tell him again it isn't right for his car and he responds with "You don't even know what you're selling." He hands me a $50 and says "Just put it in the trunk." Not "would you" or "could you", this jerk is ordering me around at my own house! Fine, some people gotta learn the hard way so I toss in the spare and off he goes.

He calls the next day and says the wheel I sold him won't fit. I'm shocked, lol. He's not too upset though, because he "found" the factory spare he lost. I told him I had good news, that I hadn't gotten around to deleting the ad on Craigslist yet. At this point he's probably thinking I'll take the spare back and refund his money. I told him all he had to do was copy and paste my ad... and then replace my phone number with his.

Back