Turbo absence

Turbocharging seems to have become overlooked. As a high performance method it isn't used as much as it was in the 70s & 80s.

glhsv350.jpg

TransAmTurbo.jpg

Turbo Screamin Chicken

Overlooked? Hardly. In the late 70's/early 80's, turbocharging was largely looked at as a gimmick by much of the performance market. It was a way to regain some of the performance back that was lost in the name of fuel economy.

However, these days, it's looked at a general way to boost performance. That's why you're seeing more and more large displacement engines coming factory-equipped with forced induction.

The GNX was one of my fave cars. T-Type too. They stopped production cause it was faster than the Vette.

What is that shelby glhs? Ive never heard of one of them...its not a daytona...wierd

sorry for the thread jack...

I also disagree, I think that turbos are becoming much more mainstream...saab's, subarus, mitsubishis, now mazdas all have good turbo options....and even the american domestics at least go the supercharged route...so theres a lot of FI out there

My personal favorite turbocharged American car (of the past, anyway) was the limited edition Trans Am of 1989. I was working at a Pontiac shop that year and got to go for the PDI test drive when we got our first one in. What a ride! It would leave an '89 GTA in the dust. I think they MSRPd for around $35K, were a very limited production and was probably the only F body I was ever very interested in. They used the same engine that came in the GN so it was basically a sweet engine in a rattle-trap 89 F body with good leather and unique wheels. Our first one immediately went to the showroom and test drives were off limits except for pre-qualified buyers. I liked it because it was cosmetically unique to any other T/A. 2 years later we ended up with one on our used car lot (not sure if it was the same car) and it had depreciated horribly. My other big favorites were the GLH products from Dodge. That Omni was a butt kicker.

My favorite turbocharged car of all time was, and likely will remain the 911. I've loved that car since it's mid-80s iteration (88 is my fav of the fav) all the way up to what it is now. I'm glad to see turbos making their way back to mainstream. After years and years of resisting the turbo, even Honda is getting into the game and it's about time. I always though a CRX Turbo would have been one helluva car. :) America is finally getting back in the turbo game with the Solstice / Sky twins and it seems to be doing quite well, not suffering from the horrible tuning problems that plagued some of the early 80s cars such as the Pre-GN Regals, Rivieras and Trans Ams. I hope they keep going, as it's a great way to make power and keep mpgs under control (if you can keep your foot out of it, that is).

America is finally getting back in the turbo game with the Solstice / Sky twins and it seems to be doing quite well, not suffering from the horrible tuning problems that plagued some of the early 80s cars ...

Yeah, I agree. I don't understand why people hate on the Solstice/Sky so much. (uhm)

If the Sky was a bit more practical, it might have been the car I ended up with instead of the MS6. But when I looked at it in person, the impracticality overcame what I feel to be stunning looks. IMO it's one of the hottest looking cars to be produced in this country in a while. I'm not a big fan of the Solstice...the nose looks like they got in a hurry and just slapped it on at the last minute. Where the Sky shines is in the details.

True, there are turbo cars in 2007, but it seems to be used (with the exception of the WRX & Evo Lancer) in an eccentric low boost support role. I can think of some cars that should have a turbo (RX8 & Honda S2000), rather than be high strung atmo cars. I am disappointed that the work of the Grand National's 3.8 V6 wasn't followed up on. With today's tech a blown V6 could have replaced the small block V8, certainly as far as the Corvette is concerned.

I was very disappointed to see that GMC didn't go further with the Syclone / Typhoon. What incredible rides they were. I'd still love to have a Typhoon.

What is that shelby glhs? Ive never heard of one of them...its not a daytona...wierd

They are beasts, is what they are :)

Its been rumored that Shelby wanted to call them Coyotes, because "Coyotes eat Rabbits" (as in, VW Rabbit). Then that got changed to GLH, for "goes like hell, no-one will know thats why we call it that". Have to love that man's thinking.

Basically the GLH was an Omni from hell. http://http://dempseybowling.com/sheldodg/sheldod2.htm

Take a look at this page - http://http://dempseybowling.com/sheldodg/

The author has since passed, but is a legend in the turbo-dodge community. Seriously though, read that page and you will respect Dodge more just for what they tried with that stuff...and give some insight on how they knew what to do with the SRT...they have been doing this s*** for years :) TDs rock...take a look at the Turbo III motors.

I still remember my friends cars like it was yesterday. One had a Shelby Charger, the other a CSX...that CSX was a sleeper, and would walk fox-bodies all night!

I was very disappointed to see that GMC didn't go further with the Syclone / Typhoon. What incredible rides they were. I'd still love to have a Typhoon.

Agreed. (headbang)

Those trucks were nuts. My Dad's friend had one, and I was infatuated with it. One of those early memories that made me love cars.

Ditto. But they were $30k new back in 1992, which was a load of money to put into a car at the time. The average new car price hadn't even hit $17k yet, I think.

Its been rumored that Shelby wanted to call them Coyotes, because "Coyotes eat Rabbits" (as in, VW Rabbit). Then that got changed to GLH, for "goes like hell, no-one will know thats why we call it that". Have to love that man's thinking.

...and a fortune was paid by Chrysler to lure Shelby (plus the use of the name) over to their camp. It was part of Chrysler's 80s revival. They did great things with their turbo I4s, it was a turnaround for a company best known for its V8 Hemis. Remember the 1986 film The Wraith? Or the TV show Hunter? Chrysler's turbo stuff was on show a lot in those days.

And the irony is that it was the front drive turbocharged Mazda 626 coupe that almost became Mustang IV back in 1989 model year. Just think, if that occured there would be no new V8 Mustangs!(angel)

SVO Stang (Turbo 2.3 I4 175 bhp+)

retros10.jpg

retros9.jpg

Ditto. But they were $30k new back in 1992, which was a load of money to put into a car at the time. The average new car price hadn't even hit $17k yet, I think.

I would have to disagree on that statement. The Typhoon/Syclone were never 30K. The corvette may of been 30K, but not the Ty/Sy. They were like 22-24K and they were stealing sales away from the vette, so thats why chevy dropped production. My friend in high school had a red/charcoal typhoon and this thing wqas bad ass. I think that chevy should have took the same approach with the Extreme S-10 and blazer= turbo and AWD. Those would have been real cool.

To the OP- I would say that turbos are used way more today than in the past. From the turbo diesels, imports and some domestics. I cant wait to see the new Cobalt SS next year that will have the same turbo motor as the GXP solstice and SKY

To the OP- I would say that turbos are used way more today than in the past. From the turbo diesels, imports and some domestics.

Emissions could be the main reason why fuel saving in America will only be via hybrid, it would be tough to clear even the latest generation of European turbo diesels. When aftermarket turbo kits were offered in the 70s & 80s it was often found that turbos cut hydrocarbons and nitrogen oxides, but increased carbon monoxide output. Maybe automakers could get around the problem, but they like to take the easy route which is larger displacement gasoline powerplants.

Back