Towing 1800kg horse trailer with 2012 CX-5 2.2L Skyactiv-D?

I’m thinking of buying a 2012 CX-5
2.2 SKYACTIV-D SE-L Nav Euro 6 (s/s) 5dr
Will it comfortably tow 1800kg? I’ve got an 850kg horse trailer and two horses weighing 950kg between them.

From a quick Goggle search

CarsGuide Logo

2012 Mazda CX-5 Towing Capacity​

“Up to 1800kg. The towing capacity of the 2012 Mazda CX-5 supports up to 1800kg. This is a braked figure, while the maximum load for any vehicle without using trailer brakes is 750kg, if rated to tow that much in the first place.” 2012 Mazda CX-5 Towing Capacity

A horse trailer?
You require a different vehicle. Something like a Ford F250 or Chevy 2500HD is in order.

To me thats on the limit for the car. You would be towing almost the same weight as the car and depending how often you tow you may wear out the transmission and/or the clutch components and dampener- if manual gearbox.

Look for a larger diesel engine and bigger car may be some pickup truck or a van. There are options in Europe. larger Turbo diesel preferred.

I'll never understand why you can't get trucks in Europe. Completely odd concept to me. But whatever, different subject.

Does the Ford Transit have a heavy duty version? Over here we would call something like that an Econoline E250.

Space in the cities/small town is a problem. Most cities are hubdreds years old and were not built for cars. A farm in the countryside may be different. Also Europeans are much more frugal and get only what they need. Not buying large cars just because they want :)
fuel is more expensive as well as car taxes. Even the Cx5 is considered SUV there while in USA its a bug size cross over :)

There are pickup trucks but usually mid size like the tacoma (there was different name in europe) and ford ranger. Full size trucks like 1ton or even half ton is rare. But there are many more vans vs USA. Ford still sells plenty of sedans in Europe but stopped selling them in USA. Different way of living :)

Last edited:
fuel is more expensive (in europe)

Not true at all. Fuel is a commodity, and as such, the cost of the fuel itself per gallon is nearly identical pretty much everywhere on the globe. The difference an individual pays at the pump from one place to another is due almost entirely due to local taxation on said fuel. So while the fuel isn't more expensive (because it isn't), their taxes are far, far greater.

Not true at all. Fuel is a commodity, and as such, the cost of the fuel itself per gallon is nearly identical pretty much everywhere on the globe. The difference an individual pays at the pump from one place to another is due almost entirely due to local taxation on said fuel. So while the fuel isn't more expensive (because it isn't), their taxes are far, far greater.
Well that's a bit anal isn't it? If you want to buy a gallon (equiv) of gas in Europe, you will spend a lot more than in the US. Hence, it's more expensive. QED.

Let’s remember the topic here and note that the OP is in the UK, thanks…

Will it comfortably tow 1800kg? I’ve got an 850kg horse trailer and two horses weighing 950kg between them.

It should. I have towed as much as 1475 kg (R-pod caravan) with my 2.5l petrol engine and with reasonable speeds it pulls like it was made for the R-pod. Running 100 to 110 kph, I burn less than 14l/100 km. I monitor the tranny temp with a Scangauge II. It rarely goes over 102C (normal is 96C at 135 kph unladen).

Be sure you get a hitch rated for more than that much weight. Get a brake controller and make sure the trailer brakes are good. I run an Australian Redarc inertia controller; worth the price. I also use a friction sway controller, just in case, but get the trailer weighed so you know what the tongue weight is and where your trailer CG is.

Towing requires extra maintenance. Make sure yours got/gets it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back