torque steer while strong aceleration

:
CX9 2017
hi all,
I have noticed that when accelerating hard from a stop or low speed there is a sensation of mild torque steer that is quite common in front wheel drive cars with loads of torque . strange is that my cx9 is an all wheel drive and this torque steer isn't present at all in cars that are awd. my question is , as soon as the power is delivered the car power is delivered 100% on the front wheels?, shouldn't it be sending power to the back precisely to eliminate this torque steer situation? on the other hand , this is the sportier suv I have driven on this size, its nimble and takes any kind of mountain road like a champ. still torque steer is a thing of the past that's why I'm concerned.

Noticed same. But I believe the CX-9 almost always starts in front drive mode only, hence the torque steer. It only starts sending torque to the rear wheels when it anticipates traction loss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hi all,
I have noticed that when accelerating hard from a stop or low speed there is a sensation of mild torque steer that is quite common in front wheel drive cars with loads of torque . strange is that my cx9 is an all wheel drive and this torque steer isn't present at all in cars that are awd. my question is , as soon as the power is delivered the car power is delivered 100% on the front wheels?, shouldn't it be sending power to the back precisely to eliminate this torque steer situation? on the other hand , this is the sportier suv I have driven on this size, its nimble and takes any kind of mountain road like a champ. still torque steer is a thing of the past that's why I'm concerned.

I don't feel any torque steer with my GT AWD 16.5

The cx9 AWD start at 97% front /3% rear ratio in AWD if good weather. If you are stopped and is raining (wipers ON, low) the ratio is different (85% front and 15% rear). If the wipers are in auto at high speed (or manually at high speed), the ratio is even different (70/30).

This % can vary depending on other situations like if you are in a hill and other conditions. There is 20 to 27 sensors sensing conditions 200 times a sec.

You must have zero torque steer. I will try with hand off to double check.

Hey hi cubanomx,
thanks for ur reply , its a very smart way to have a sense of whats happening in the road by measuring the levels of the wipers, this way the awd is limited and as a consequence the friction produced by the awd system is limited so more mpg. I have tried 2 different cx9 and both have a lot of torque steer. thought the first one I drove was a fwd , but when I tried mine the sensation was the same . let me know about ur results.
regards and thanks
M

Hey hi cubanomx,
thanks for ur reply , its a very smart way to have a sense of whats happening in the road by measuring the levels of the wipers, this way the awd is limited and as a consequence the friction produced by the awd system is limited so more mpg. I have tried 2 different cx9 and both have a lot of torque steer. thought the first one I drove was a fwd , but when I tried mine the sensation was the same . let me know about ur results.
regards and thanks
M

Unfortunately even if it is AWD it is still front biased (same as my prev Volvo XC60) and similar to other "on-demand" AWD systems like Haldex...not sure about Mazdas but the only diff they made is on the i-active AWD system that yes - uses 27 sensors to be more "pro-active" than reactive. Even if my prev Volvo used a 4th gen Haldex AWD system and only reacted once slip is detected, I never had any issues with traction and getting off the line esp in my area during winter season where we get a ton of snow and ice on the ground! I guess the trick is also to use winter tires during winter season for the added stability and traction.

Unfortunately even if it is AWD it is still front biased (same as my prev Volvo XC60) and similar to other "on-demand" AWD systems like Haldex...not sure about Mazdas but the only diff they made is on the i-active AWD system that yes - uses 27 sensors to be more "pro-active" than reactive. Even if my prev Volvo used a 4th gen Haldex AWD system and only reacted once slip is detected, I never had any issues with traction and getting off the line esp in my area during winter season where we get a ton of snow and ice on the ground! I guess the trick is also to use winter tires during winter season for the added stability and traction.

Thanks for sharing this info. I'm in Mexico City so no snow here. But I notice AWD is very good in superb hill we have close our office. With my previous cx9 sport (1st generation) if we stop in the middle of the hill due to heavy traffic, when traffic is clear and we are good to go, I notice very clear when I press the gas pedal how the front wheels spins a lot.

Same hill, same conditions (traffic) but raining (wet street) then the wheels spins like crazy and don't go up at all... then the traction control goes into action and no matter if the gas pedal is pressed to the max, the old cx9 start to go up in a very slow speed. A very clever way to handle the situation (I see big SUVs unable to go uphill on this scenario!!! and wheels spining like oh my god!). In such situations I really miss an AWD system but the old cx9 was able to handle it in a very smart way with the traction control.

Now with my cx9 GT AWD this never happens. First, the cx9 turbo have hill assistance so I can remove my foot from the brake pedal in the hill, no problem. I can accelerate a lot... no spin at all! so this AWD perhaps is not as good as Subaru, etc but is making a great job.

No matter what, I'm wondering about the torque steer issue too.

Hey hi cubanomx,
regards and thanks
M

yes. I read about the 27 sensors on the CX9 AWD GT (some websites say there is only 20/21 - others 25 - Mazda says 27) and one of them is the wiper on/off and speed. Wheel spinning have other sensors and even steering wheel is taking into consideration.

I don't feel any torque steer with my GT AWD 16.5

I didn't know the CX-9 had half model year in 2016.5. I thought they just released the 2016 late?

What's the difference between a 2016 vs 2016.5?

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

I've felt TS a few times on dry, at low speed when accelerating around a corner...or if I just turn slightly. I think it's actually the TSC working under the immense torque-rush...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't know the CX-9 had half model year in 2016.5. I thought they just released the 2016 late?

What's the difference between a 2016 vs 2016.5?

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

I used 2016.5 because this is how I see other forum members write about the 2016 model.

And yes, at least in Mexico they start selling the CX9 in june, just one year ago. I purchased the first one!

Yes gtirod, its specifically in tos moments when its felt the most and always when its dry . I think ill just getused to it, its amazing though how agile the cx9 is trhough corners .. seems the awd system does a great job when the car isn't in a straight.

Back