Tom Tom SD card

pancho

:
2014 CX-5 GT Tech
Has anyone used an SD card with more than 4 GB capacity in the CX-5 NB1.
I was thinking in buying an 8 GB one to try.

I edited my post because I thought you were talking about a regular USB stick. I personally have not; however if you need more space, you should be able to use an 8gb+ card formatted as fat 32. Make sure you've backed up your GPS in TomTom Home. However it's if is like the hand held devices; it will be considered transferring your service to another device, which you can only do once per 6 months I believe. I would format an 8gb card (fat32) and stick it in there with some music or something on there just to see if it's read.

Last edited:
According to TT's site, here, the only restriction seems to be it must be a SD card.

I've wondered about this too. My copy of my SD card is a little over 3GB and I've wondered what the process is to move to a larger card if needed. Do you just copy the card's contents to the larger FAT32 card? That would seem pretty easy.

I'm interested if anyone has done that and if TT does detect/view that as transferring to another device.

You will not need a larger card unless you add additional maps. The map sets stay around the same size as there is not a lot of additional information, just a lot of changed information.

Anyway, any SD card should do, as long as it's formatted correctly, but don't worry about running out of space if you just use the one map set.

Maps, Voices, overlay maps, icons etc. there are many thing you can add to quickly fill up that 4gb. Overlays are nice but they are hard to find for the US.

According to TT's site, here, the only restriction seems to be it must be a SD card.

I've wondered about this too. My copy of my SD card is a little over 3GB and I've wondered what the process is to move to a larger card if needed. Do you just copy the card's contents to the larger FAT32 card? That would seem pretty easy.

I'm interested if anyone has done that and if TT does detect/view that as transferring to another device.

This is what I've done so far:
1. Using my original Mazda SD card, updated system, maps and POIs
2. Using Tom Tom HOME, backed up that card.
3. Bough a 4GB SD card at Walmart for $9
4. Copied the back up files to the new SD card.
5. Installed in vehicle

Working without any problems

Thanks for posting back, pancho. How big was your backup? Why I'm asking is I thought the card that came with my Mazda must have been 4GB as my current backup is a tad over 3GB. I've not examined the card for capacity though, so I don't know it's actual size. I'm also curious about step 4 - did you just copy & paste from your computer or did you use Restore on TT Home?

My backup folder has 776 files for a total of 3.3 GB.
The SD card was formatted to Fat32 and I just copy the backup files into it.

Just bought my cx5 on Saturday and I can not get any of my computers to recognize my SD card so I can update the software with Tom Tom home? Sorry this question is off topic, but I did a search and could not find a discussion thread.

Just bought my cx5 on Saturday and I can not get any of my computers to recognize my SD card so I can update the software with Tom Tom home? Sorry this question is off topic, but I did a search and could not find a discussion thread.

Have you looked at this TT page? What you do is dependent on your computer's OS, but this might help you out.

Have you looked at this TT page? What you do is dependent on your computer's OS, but this might help you out.

I tried 3 windows 7 computers all aging in range from 1 to 3 years old. I also tried both a built in and external USB card reader. I did try all but the last suggestion from the support site thus far. My camera card reads fine so I am at a loss why the nav card does not read.

I tried 3 windows 7 computers all aging in range from 1 to 3 years old. I also tried both a built in and external USB card reader. I did try all but the last suggestion from the support site thus far. My camera card reads fine so I am at a loss why the nav card does not read.

I am running Win 7 64 bit with no problems, so it should work. First, be sure you turn off any anti-malware, firewall, anti-virus programs that may be preventing the card from being recognized. Let's also leave the card reader out of the equation and use the computer's internal reader if possible. Now, when you put the SD card in the slot, and then go to Start Menu> Computer does the SD card appear as a drive?

If not, with the anti-virus, etc still turned off, try this:

1. Go to the Windows Start button > Control Panel > System > Device Manager.

2. In the Device Manager window, expand Disk drives by clicking the arrow.

3. If your TomTom device is listed with an arrow, right-click on it and select Enable.

If you can't do those steps, or they don't solve the problem, you will need to contact customer support.

I am sure you will have checked the lock switch on the card !! ?

Good thought. When he said his computer wouldn't recognize his card, I assumed he meant it won't even see it. But if it will see it but just can't write to it, this would be the first thing to check.

Back