TOC Error on brand new disc!

monkeymsp

:
03 MSP Mica
So my wife gets me this new CD for Valentine's Day. I spend like 30 minutes trying to get it out of the stupid packaging and when I finally get it out I put it in the Kenwood to play it. It sits quietly for a sec and then starts playing, it plays fine for about 15 seconds. Then it stops playing and after like 30 seconds more it displays "TOC Error" on the screen. (smash)

So, I eject it and look at the disc. It's brand spankin' new and there are no scratches or even a finger print. I put it back in and try again. I search through some tracks and find that tracks 5-9 play fine but 1-4 do not play at all. WTF?

Next, I bring the thing into my house and play it in my Sony DVD player, works fine. Any ideas?

I made an mp3 disc for my friend the other day...when he tried to play it today he got the same error.

mdaj said:
I made an mp3 disc for my friend the other day...when he tried to play it today he got the same error.

I could almost understand if this was a CD/MP3 disc that I burned. But this was a new CD straight from the packaging.

warrier04 said:
try googling 'toc error + kenwood' and see what comes up. maybe there's some easy fix (ie cleaner).

Good suggestion. I just went and search and about every reference I can find sayd that the CD was burned wrong or it needs to be cleaned. And those don't apply in this case.

I am beginning to think this is some new kinda feature for security or something. It is a Sony artist, so I sent an email to the artists manager telling him that the CD would not play in my car. I'll let you guys know if I get a response.

usually the TOC or 'Table of Contents' error comes when the CD is not finalized at the end. The TOC is written at the last part of burning a CD.

You might want to return the CD for an exchange, stating that the CD is defective.

I know I get these errors quite often now. If I mess with it for a while, it will play just fine. It may be a Kenwood thing... I have the KDC-MP922

Just a possibility, but you could've gotten a bootleg disc. My brother has the gear to make a mp3 that looks exactly like a store-bought cd. You can get them shrink-wrapped at Blockbuster. (I'm always looking for a conspiracy!)
monkeymsp said:
I could almost understand if this was a CD/MP3 disc that I burned. But this was a new CD straight from the packaging.

my old sony explod player would do that, it sucked, i could unwrap a new cd put it in and nada! Says "ERROR" and turns off

So I am leaning toward conspiracy now. and heres why.... I put the CD in my 'puter cuz I figured I would just rip it and make a good copy. When I did the computer locked up for about 30 seconds. Then a message came up that said "License aquired" and asked to save the info to my drive. Must be a new security feature... So I let it. Then the CD played fine on the computer. So I ripped it to MP3 with WMP v10 and burned a CD correctly. And the burned CD works in my car... (enguard)

So in this case the anti piracy labels all over the freaking thing forced me to burn a copy so that I could reliably listen to the thing. I have half a mind to sell the thing and keep the copy just to make a freakin point. Jeeze! It pisses me off because I spend so much freaking money on CDs in a pursuit to stay legal and look what they put me through for my trouble. Thanks Sony (321fu)

Dont think it's copy right schnit or anything like that... Pretty sure it's just a crappy lens... Hope they'll let me trade in for a new one that'll play all my burned cds...

Velocifero said:
my old sony explod player would do that, it sucked, i could unwrap a new cd put it in and nada! Says "ERROR" and turns off

A Sony Xplod that sucked? Well, I NEVER!

toucci said:
yep all that stuff is bulls***. consumers need to start caring about their rights!

Sorry bud, no CD I own (or will ever own) has CD protecion on it. That's what you get for buying s*** you heard on the radio or saw on TV. Keep playing their game and you are going to get (butthump) no matter what. (Oh, and 99% of my CDs were less than $10 new.) Consumers don't care about their rights just as long as they have a new flavor of the month to focus on.

I am in a mood to use smileys today. (guitar)

monkeymsp said:
So I am leaning toward conspiracy now. and heres why.... I put the CD in my 'puter cuz I figured I would just rip it and make a good copy. When I did the computer locked up for about 30 seconds. Then a message came up that said "License aquired" and asked to save the info to my drive. Must be a new security feature... So I let it. Then the CD played fine on the computer. So I ripped it to MP3 with WMP v10 and burned a CD correctly. And the burned CD works in my car... (enguard)

So in this case the anti piracy labels all over the freaking thing forced me to burn a copy so that I could reliably listen to the thing. I have half a mind to sell the thing and keep the copy just to make a freakin point. Jeeze! It pisses me off because I spend so much freaking money on CDs in a pursuit to stay legal and look what they put me through for my trouble. Thanks Sony (321fu)

I previously bought alot of cds, but after buying so many shitay discs i turned to mp3's. I would reccomend www.allofmp3.com , its really cheap and Ive never had a problem.

shaun (canada)

well **** my msp kenwood deck is telling me TOC error no matter what cd i put in burnt or bought. reset the ecu, tried everything no luck just TOC error no matter what disc i put in.

i have never realized how s*** radio is before when i could play cds. now i just hate driving the car cause i gotta listen to some dickwad acts like he is funny on the radio every freaking morning at 7am on the way to work. what a bunch of cock suckers how do these people even have jobs. man i want this TOC s*** to go away!

monkeymsp said:

your s*** didn't play because it's a sony DRM'd disc
you ****** your computer btw
http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=27426

if you want to rip any DRM'd disc you HAVE to hold down shift as you insert the disc and wait at least 20 seconds after it is in the computer before letting go... if your ripper can't see the tracks then you need to use a good ripper like EAC

Back