Time to forge

crjames3141

:
Mazdaspeed Protege
Alright so I've been reading for hours about people going back and forth about the power output and best tuning software for mazdaspeed protege. I love this car and it definitely has a personality. I've blown a motor, torn and lsd in half and battled boost and vaccum leaks and now know this car inside and out. I'm ready to give her some forged internals to match her FMIC and piping, upgraded downpipe, full turbo back exhaust, T517z turbo, 440cc injectors, stainless turbo manifold. My question is I'll be going with wiseco pistons and pauter rods. What kind of power can I expect with this set up? What kind of tuning software should I reach for? Is there anything I'm missing? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Do you have an AFC or any kind of tuner on the car now? Forging the motor won't change the power output, the tune, the size of the turbo and amount of boost you run will determine your power output.

Well that is my question. What type of tuning platform do you believe is reasonable for this set up? I was hoping you'd respond as well hornsfan, I have gotten good info from you in the past.

am I able to use megasquirt on the speed? I realize the forged internals won't change power output I have everything I need to push more power but I don't want to join the zoom zoom boom club again. Just trying to get my shopping list together as far as a tune. Or air fuel controller

Are you running the 440s on the stock tune? An SS AFC or FTC will work fine, not the ideal solution but it will work. Megasquirt can be setup to work, as can a Unichip or a microtech (older tech but so is the Split Second). Some have used the AEM FIC but I have heard mixed reviews. Best solution would be a Haltech but that is also the most expensive and most difficult to setup.

I plan to run 440s with my forged motor, I am held back by the stock T25 at this point. I have the 440s but have yet to install them. I am running an SS AFC and the car runs great on 15-16psi. The larger injectors will require custom tuning though.

Last edited:
I'm running a Haltech Sprint 500 in my P5. Followed a guide posted by ap123. 600cc injectors with his provided map (had to modify it for my car). Stock block for now as my other block is at the machine shop.

It wasn't to difficult to set up but it did give me some headaches. Car is running 10lbs rn but I try to stay out of boost until I get it properly tuned.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Holy crap 15lbs on stock? How I must know lol. My T517z should be good up to 360hp it's quite a bear and i have the compressor outlet facing downwards instead of upwards. Was very interesting getting wastegate to work. My buddy helped me fabricate a bracket that holds it in place haha. What would I need to get megasquirt to work? Has anyone done it? My tuner is familiar with it so it would make things simpler.

I run 10 on the craptastic stock tune and just try to be a good boy but when someone tries me.... bad things happen.

I was running 13-14 on the stock block and running the SS FTC in my second MSP for a few months. It was really fun and it outran more than a few 'fast' cars. Still runs good on 10psi but the manual boost controller spikes more than I would prefer and doesn't hold boost steady enough. I don't know the exact size of your turbo (never heard of a T517z) but if it's good for 360hp then it's much larger than the T25 so 10psi is probably more like 14psi with a T25.

Yeah I can run about 25lbs on this turbo it's the direct skyline upgrade spools fast as hell I love it. Are there maps for the ssftc? I just went ahead and got myself the Mazdaspeed3 wastegate which is 15lbs and that solves spiking issues. My friend had a bunch of them

You can use the AFC maps on the FTC. The FTC allows you to retard the timing but the stock ECU doesn't have very advanced timing as it is so it's not really necessary. If you turbo a regular protege and keep the stock ECU then the FTC or some sort of timing control is needed. 25psi, even with a forged motor is a lot for the FS. It can probably handle it, but the transmission more than likely will not.

So would I need to forge on 15 lbs? If I had a back up tranny it'd be balls to the wall but i don't want to shred gears last time I was in the gears looked mint at 130k.

Pope performance is running with a unichip ecu and putting 337 WHP to the ground. I believed he offered a tuning service and unichip combo a while back. Not sure if he still offers it. Hit up his website at www.popeperformance.com

Also saw that you're located in Tampa. Lots of MSP enthusiasts are up there in the Orlando area. Not many though down here in Miami lol.

Only seen a couple speeds here and I'm pretty sure one blew. It's been just me all alone for a while haha.

Okay so now I'm stuck between unichip and haltech. Unichip says they have a forged base map but that seems vague. How do I tune it more specifically to my car?

You would have to datalog your runs with a wideband or on a dyno to tune your fuel map. On 15psi with that turbo you would definitely need a forged motor. Backup transmissions are relatively easy to find, I paid $120 and $150 for two transmissions last summer.

Definitely point me towards back up transmissions lol that would make me happy. I can do some datalogging I have a very good tuner here. So do I have to send the info to unichip or is it user end friendly?

I have never used a Unichip but I imagine it is like any other tuner and you can adjust the tunes with a computer. I found one of my trans on craiglist and the other I pulled from a junkyard.

Latest posts

Back