Thoughts on these speakers (Infinity Reference)

ggweci

:
2003 Protege5
first let me explain what i'm trying to obtain...i'm looking for a nice and clean sounding system running off the stock deck and an amp for a decent price...somewhere under $1000CDN (~$700-750USD)

i'm thinking about going with these speakers because i've heard good things about them:

Infinity Reference 6800cs
http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/INFREF6800CS

any thoughts on these?

and can anyone recommend an nice amp and sub (10") at a decent price that i could run with these, all while retaining the stock deck?

oh, and one more thing, should i even consider replacing the rears? from what i've heard and read it's not necessary, especially with their placement in a P5...

sorry for all the questions, but i'm a novice to the audio game and need all the help i can get :)

thanks in advance...

I really like those speakers, although I have not heard them specifically. I have heard other Reference speakers and they sound good. The fact that it is a 6x8" woofer and will drop right in to the factory locations is a definate plus. Also there is more cone area on this 6x8" woofer than there is on a 6.5" so you might even get a little better bass response. I have been thinking of getting them for our MPV. They are about $100USD on ebay.

I have always enjoyed listening to Infinity speakers. My girlfriend's brother got those same speakers and they sound very clean. The tweeters are amazingly clear. He had a decent, nothing special, head unit (pioneer) so i don't think you will have a problem with the stock head unit.

I have an Infinity 12" Perfect Sub that I had in my previous car (Sunfire GT), but when i got my MSP, i stuck with the stock stereo. So now, my sub is just just chillin in my room. Its in a bandpass box and powerd by the Infinity Beta Digital 100 amp. I really enjoy the MSP stereo but i loved my system in my Sunfire.

I am looking to sell the sub, box, and amp. I also have a Eclipse head unit and Eclipse 6x9 3 way rear speakers.

Only problem about the sub and box is that its heavy as s*** and shipping could be costly.

Good luck with everything.

1st MP3 in NH said:
Listen to them before buying, always!

Totally agree. Everyone has different listening preferences. Its good to get other people's opinions but ultimately you are the one that will be listening to the speakers everyday, so if possible, definately try and find someone that has them or go to a store and listen to them.

thanks for the advice guys...keep 'em coming :D

1st MP3 in NH said:
Listen to them before buying, always!

Hey 1St MP3, you seem to be the resident expert on this board in terms of audio...any suggestions on a nice amp and sub to complement these speakers if i go with them...or are there any other speakers you'd suggest instead of these that are in the same price range and same size?

IF you go with those speakers and they are using only the head unit for power then I would use a modest amp and probably an infinity sub just to keep the continuity of the system.
THe sub and amp will depend on your listening taste more then anything.

I f you want a 5x7 component like theinfinity then the options are definitly limited. Just listen to different setup at some stores and better yet in cars if you can and decide by your own ear.

Infinity Ref speakers

I have the Infinity Ref 6800C in my front doors and they sound great. They drop right in with no modification. We mounted the tweeter right above the woofers so the stock tweeters are non-functional. They are powered by a blaupunkt PA275 (rated at 75x2). I went with the blaupunkt because its so small it fit under the drivers seat easily even sitting next to the distribution block. The speakers sound great and I think they would sound good off a HU also. I dont know about the bass much as I have an eclipse amp under the passenger seat with a 12" Polk sub in the rear in a .88 enclosure (with polyfill). Great speakers for the price (paid $135 with shipping from Ebay). I also have an eq mounted in the dash under the HU. Good luck.

what do you guys think about this setup for my price range?

Speakers: Infinity 6800cs 5x7" Components

Amplifiers: Alpine MRP-F200 or MRP-F240 (not sure what the difference is, can anone explain?)

Subwooder: JL Audio 10W0

thoughts? suggestions?

I would highly recommend for your components, Polk EX3 Components. They sound incredible. We did have to mount the tweeter beside the speaker in the door but I like it that way. Can't see it, maybe don't want to steal it.

He can mount the tweeter in the stock location by the mirror.

The differences in the two amps is their features...they both seem to put out the same amount of power, which is good for your speakers and a 10" JL W0.

If you listen to rock at moderate levels or jazz/easy listening/classic rock then this setup will be great. However, if you're a fan of hiphop/rap/pop then it will be lacking in low end umph. It'll still be an improvement over the stock system...you'd just be itchin for more bass after about 3 months.

ggweci said:
what do you guys think about this setup for my price range?

Speakers: Infinity 6800cs 5x7" Components

Amplifiers: Alpine MRP-F200 or MRP-F240 (not sure what the difference is, can anone explain?)

Subwooder: JL Audio 10W0

thoughts? suggestions?

THe system sounds fine to me if you like the speakers.

The 240 is the newer version of the 200. Slightly more power and looks are the main differences.

chuyler1 said:

If you listen to rock at moderate levels or jazz/easy listening/classic rock then this setup will be great. However, if you're a fan of hiphop/rap/pop then it will be lacking in low end umph. It'll still be an improvement over the stock system...you'd just be itchin for more bass after about 3 months.

here's kind of where my problem lies...i like to listen to a huge variety of music...from Hip Hop/R&B/Pop, to House/Dance to Rock/Retro...so how would that help me decide on one type of sub?

and i assume the lack of "umph" you suggested would be because of the sub selection, correct? or is it from the power of the amp?

Well a 100 watt system with a 125watt sub is prolly the least amount of power you will see in an aftermarket system.

I helped a friend install a system that used 2 JL 10 W0s and a 250 watt amplifier. Because it was a hatchback it sounded pretty good, but it wasn't enough for my personal tastes...and I rarely listen to rap/hiphop but occasionally throw in Madonna or some other pop music.

Since the P5 could be considered a hatch back you could get away with the low power setup, but my recommendation would be to get a more efficient amp and two JL W0s.

By more efficient I mean one that can double its power at a 2ohm load. For example the Alpine 240 puts out 40x4 at 4ohms and 50x4 at 2ohms. A MTX amp may be rated at 25x4 at 4ohms but it will put out 50x4 at 2ohms (or 100x2 at 4ohms)...but MTX rates their amps at 12.5v so if you're car runs 14.4v then you'll actually get closer to 250x2 watts!

I agree you may want 2 10W0s or even 3 :D
You can buy the premade JL box already loaded with the 10W0s for $270 retail and they will want about 250 watts rms @ 4 ohms.

Back