Third crossover for Mazda's lineup!?

Antoine

Administrator
Mazda considering bringing
third crossover vehicle to U.S. market

MARK RECHTIN | Automotive News
Posted Date: 11/7/05

LOS ANGELES -- Mazda North American Operations is considering a third crossover for its lineup.

The company declined to confirm the vehicle, but statements by executives and other evidence point to the company's plans.

The vehicle will be in addition to the Tribute, which is already in the lineup, and the CX-7, which will launch early next year.

Mazda has filed a copyright with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office for the name "CX-9."

"If the CX-7 is considered a compact crossover, then the CX-9 would be considered a medium-sized crossover," said Mazda Motor CEO Hisakazu Imaki in an interview.

The CX-7 is based on the Mazda6 platform. A Mazda source said that the CX-9 would be based on a stretched version of the Mazda6, rather than share underpinnings with the upcoming Ford Edge.

"We want to compete in more segments with more variants," said Jim O'Sullivan, CEO of Mazda North American Operations. "As our financial situation improves, we can invest in more products. North America is the focus."

I don't get it. What's the third crossover? Are they considering the Tribute a crossover and calling the CX-9 the third? Or is there something after the CX-7 and CX-9?

(rofl)

mike posted about this earlier. i think they are all ugly. then he asked about what is mazdas answer to the GT-R, and i said, another damn crossover.

A little bird told me there might be a next gen RX-7 launched in 4 years...NOW STAY ON TOPIC!

It was about time for Mazda to make some smart decision.

After scratching the Mazda5 off my list for lack of features, the CX-7 was not very promising due to the lack of seats, and possibly features as well, such as HID and integrated turning signal in the mirrors.

The CX-9 solves the occupant capacity, and power problems for such pricetag with an 3.5L 6 cylinder engine. Still, at a starting price of $30k with the possible lack of feature of HID and integrated side turning signals in the mirrors, consumers will be better off on the new Subaru SUV, which has the turning signals in the mirror; the existing Murano that has HID as option; or Toyota's newest Highlander that comes with a keyless system with rear LEDs, and with reputable reliability and excellent holding value for trade.

As the latest one coming in the game, lack of feature contents is basically a big loser in my book. Once again, this might just be a contender like the Mazda5 that I had much anticipated back then. If Mazda doesn't do the job well this final time in its more expensive lineup, as a Mazda3 (a.k.a. AXELA) owner, I might really be turn off by the Mazda family for good this time, and would start venturing on Subaru, Honda, or Toyota's works and philosophies. Mazda should really research where it falls, and where it really fails. That doesn't require too much brain cells to realize this at all.

Last edited:
I'm sure the CX-7 and CX-9 wil be feature rich and even if they don't have the features your looking for...Those small details should not be the deciding factor on a Mazda...the car itself should be...;)

I think you are wrong. Features outline a brand, and they are not small details.

What should really be a CX-7 is the new Toyota RAV4. It's a compact SUV, has 6 cylinder as an option, can sprint 0-60 mph under 7s, priced under $30k, 7 seat optional, rear LEDs, tire pressure monitor, chrome grille on Limited Edition, keyless start, and have navigation with rear DVD. For that kind of package, I think I don't need an HID. Toyota is definitely winning this game.

But since I'm not planning to buy the first year production, I'll see how the second year will come from the competitor and from Toyota. Once again, the highly anticipated CX-7 and CX-9 was like my Mazda5 dream: they are just contenders. This time Mazda needs to be more than just a pretty girl, and some good options. What Mazda needs now is also a great package. Hey, even a Kia can be a pretty girl.

Your point is based...not on what most people consider a "great package" but on what your looking for in a CUV...The CX-7 isn't even out yet so I would hold off on any final assumptions about who is "Winning".

Also, the RAV4 is a different animal than the CX-7 and thus should not be directly compared...The rav has a history that is neither sporty nor stylish nor performance oriented (read: fun to drive)...If you're look for something like the RAV4...Don't go with the CX-7...However if you want a "crossover" that is new, with fresh styling and performance...with character and substance...that is interesting and fun to drive..all in a practical and affordable package...go no further than the CX-7 ;)

1) CX-7 and CX-9 will have HID headlights.

2) Does anyone else find it hilarious that someone is talking about turn signals on the mirrors as a feature?(rofl)

Mazda3 said:
2) Does anyone else find it hilarious that someone is talking about turn signals on the mirrors as a feature?

same thing i was thinking....

Antoine said:
Your point is based...not on what most people consider a "great package" but on what your looking for in a CUV...The CX-7 isn't even out yet so I would hold off on any final assumptions about who is "Winning".

Also, the RAV4 is a different animal than the CX-7 and thus should not be directly compared...The rav has a history that is neither sporty nor stylish nor performance oriented (read: fun to drive)...If you're look for something like the RAV4...Don't go with the CX-7...However if you want a "crossover" that is new, with fresh styling and performance...with character and substance...that is interesting and fun to drive..all in a practical and affordable package...go no further than the CX-7 ;)

'Been there; 'Done that. This sounds like a repeat. (jerkit)
This turns out to be like another VW Vortex forum. You guys start to be too narrow minded on one brand, and arrogant about it. That was what happened to VW's Golf IV, and Touareg. It ended up like that (monkey). Yes, Kong's version.

Last edited:
Mazda3 said:
1) CX-7 and CX-9 will have HID headlights.

2) Does anyone else find it hilarious that someone is talking about turn signals on the mirrors as a feature?(rofl)

I'm not sure how hilarious it is about turn signals on mirror feature. Mercedes Benz has it across all its models. VW is now having it too across all models. Subaru has that feature for top range model only. Toyota has it offered only on the Avalon model.

Funny!?! How about some set of LED rear lamps? (eekfu) You see, that's a set. That's what my SP23 says.

Last edited:
Back