The Protege5 Experience.

M

<MazdaProbeGT>

Hey guys! I'm really excited b/c today I got to test drive a 2002 red P5. :)

5 sp, no options except floor mats.

I absolutely loved everything about the car, well, except for the straight line performance.. what's up with 130 hp?? :(

The handling was outstanding, but I read that 60-0 braking was a lousy 155 ft?

Anyways, I NEED a yellow one with no options (because I'm poor), and I swear, they don't exist. We searched a 5 state area with no success... then the dealership really pissed me off... They wanted me to give them 100 bucks deposit so they could "order" me a yellow with no options... HOWEVER, they said they couldn't guarantee me a car, even if I put the deposit down... I was like, um, WTF?!??!?! :mad: That makes no sense, does it?? I was slightly miffed... well, it turns out, my friend put 100 dollars down for a yellow one about 6 months ago, and he never heard back from them... he got screwed, and ended up buying a Stratus...

Anyways, I really would like one, but what is up with Mazda these days... You can "order" a car, but you probably won't get it?? *shakes head*

Oh well, i'll just go buy a focus or something. :(

Hey there.. i too was in the same boat. i'm from Canada mind you.. but i was told by two dealers "sorry, the yellow ones only come fully loaded"... until i finally got the real story, and that is that unless they're specially ordered for you, that's the way that they come. I got the runaround from a bunch of people.. and FINALLY.. what i got was what i think is the truth- you can order a yellow P5.. and you will get it.. there's just no guarentee of when.
I was told about 3 months.. (b/c most likely the dealer has to sell a certain amount of other colored ones to get a yellow one released to them).. at least that's what i was told. So you'll get it.. it's just a question of when.. you could be waiting for ever.
Keep in mind.. this is Canada too. I opted out of the waiting game and bought black.. which makes me happy... very happy.. but not quite as shiny happy as i would be if it was yellow! Shop around.. bet you'll get another story from another dealer.
Good luck! :)

Hmm, that's interesting Blackie. Thanks for the info.

Here's a question for anyone... If ABS costs 800 bucks extra, how come every yellow P5 that has ABS costs 18,000+ ???

As the owner of a Pro5 I can say the car is great but most Mazda dealerships suck ass, this is unfortunate because they make good cars but seem to not want to control there dealer network at all. I have had way to many problems with my dealership and avoid them at all cost. If you can find the Pro5 you want Id say get it because they are great cars and are so much fun to drive. But if availability/dealership honesty is what you require (I did too but got suckered) then you might be better buying something else (sad to say) It would be great if someone (I might do this) made a web site that kept track of Mazda dealerships and had people write reviews of the expierences in them (they cant all suck can they?) So if ya wana neat car and do your own maintainance and can weed through the dealership bulls*** get a Pro5.

I have to say that my Mazda dealership has been nothing but a pleseant experience. Cept seeing as it's out here in St. John's, Newfoundland I can't recommend that everyone rush out here to buy. :p

My reccomendation would be to check out the better buisness rating on any dealerships you are looking at and that driving a couple of states/provinces over to get one might not be a bad thing.

that sucks that your buddy got taken for 100 bones but he should get that back. the deposit is just to make sure if you order the car and then don't show the dealer gets something. it's not the other way around. i had to put 500 down to order and it took 13 weeks for me....yellow fully loaded. as for dealers DURHAM MAZDA in whitby, ontario are the biggest dicks in the world. i went in there the day after the p5 came out all ready to order one....and even though it was new i tried to negotiate just a little, you know how it is, and the guy just looked at me and said "the price is the price and you'll get when you get it" and walked away. so i went somewhere else and got a better deal.

Same with me. I got told "oh.. we don't do deals on P5's. I walked out with more than 1,000 off in extras and money off. Seriously.. look around. Tell one dealer what you're getting from another and they'll give you a better deal. No way i was paying the sticker price!

See it on an other hand. My friend his having a lot of problem with his yellow P5 these days.I think that cops are attract by this bright color. He's doing twice a week Quebec-Montreal(2 hours run or approximetly 288 km)same as me(black P5 one) and since he have it, 2 months, he had 3 seeping tickets (120-140km/hr). Me none !?! :p

Back