Sun interfering with Garage Door

:
13' CX-5 and 16' Mazda6 both Touring w/Tech/Bose
My garage door is facing south and so the sun is interfering with my 5-year old LiftMaster Garage Door's safety sensors. At night and during cloudy days it closes fine. I tried installing new sensors but nope it did not resolve the issue. I ordered some sensor sun shields to install. Hopefully that fixes the problem.

Anyone else having issues with the sun?

My garage door is facing south and so the sun is interfering with my 5-year old LiftMaster Garage Door's safety sensors. At night and during cloudy days it closes fine. I tried installing new sensors but nope it did not resolve the issue. I ordered some sensor sun shields to install. Hopefully that fixes the problem.

Anyone else having issues with the sun?

Have you tried putting some sort of covering over the sensors to prevent direct sunlight but still allowing it to work (scratch)

You could try swapping the position of the transmitter and receiver... that helped my door significantly. You already tried new sensors but didn’t say if you tried swapping their position. Place the transmitter on the location that gets the most direct sun and leave the receiver to be more shaded.

You could try swapping the position of the transmitter and receiver... that helped my door significantly. You already tried new sensors but didnt say if you tried swapping their position. Place the transmitter on the location that gets the most direct sun and leave the receiver to be more shaded.

This is what I was going to recommend. Just finished installing a new garage door opener a few weeks ago and this was mentioned in the manual.

If that doesn't work then i would fasten some sort of sun shade to them.

You could try swapping the position of the transmitter and receiver... that helped my door significantly. You already tried new sensors but didn’t say if you tried swapping their position. Place the transmitter on the location that gets the most direct sun and leave the receiver to be more shaded.

I have the problem in the morning with sun from the east....then in the afternoon sun from the west :(. Not sure if swapping would help me.

The receiver sensor in the afternoon is fully shaded. The sending sensor is getting hit by the sun. I tried using a toilet paper roll cylinder covered in black tape (to minimize glare) to shield the sending sensor but still no mojo. Still waiting for the OEM shield to arrive and will shield both sides. I read people had used sunglass lenses with some success. The sending sensor's beam is infrared (IR). I wish it was a laser so it could cut through the sun's rays :)

If I stand to cast a shadow it works. Sort of my short term solution for now :)

Last edited:
I have the problem in the morning with sun from the east....then in the afternoon sun from the west :(. Not sure if swapping would help me.

The receiver sensor in the afternoon is fully shaded. The sending sensor is getting hit by the sun. I tried using a toilet paper roll cylinder covered in black tape (to minimize glare) to shield the sending sensor but still no mojo. Still waiting for the OEM shield to arrive and will shield both sides. I read people had used sunglass lenses with some success. The sending sensor's beam is infrared (IR). I wish it was a laser so it could cut through the sun's rays :)

May be put a thin piece of tinted plastic infront (uhm)

Try shielding the receiving sensor. I can't imagine sheilding the source side would help at all.

Yesterday while sun was hitting the sending sensor at 3:45pm local time...the garage closed successfully. I adjusted both sensors to point down a tiny bit. I hope this fixed the issue. Will check when I get home this afternoon.

Yesterday while sun was hitting the sending sensor at 3:45pm local time...the garage closed successfully. I adjusted both sensors to point down a tiny bit. I hope this fixed the issue. Will check when I get home this afternoon.

It should as there is less direct sunlight on it now

Could be they were misaligned a bit and only worked in optimal conditions

Could be they were misaligned a bit and only worked in optimal conditions

This may seem the case. The old sensors could not correct the problem no matter how much I realign. I read that over time they lose beam strength...or the sun's rays into the sensors shorten their life span...maybe both. Bought the new sensors on Amazon mainly because I notice many reviews indicate they had the same problem I had with the sun. Anyways spending time to realign properly worked.

Back