Styling analysis of 2017 CX-5

The CX-5 is still the best looking CUV in its class but I still think it does not look as nice as the CX-9 or CX-3. The back end just seems too short for the rest of the car.

The CX-5 is still the best looking CUV in its class but I still think it does not look as nice as the CX-9 or CX-3. The back end just seems too short for the rest of the car.

Proportions on smaller crossovers is always a problem in my book. The CX-9 is long enough to carry its bulk; the CX-3 has a lower ride height so it doesn't look weird, and the CX-5 has neither of these going for it. That's why I lowered mine to bring the visual center of gravity down.

paris1 and dougal---agree with your comments.I really didn't need the bulkier cuv/suv rear end.I really would have liked a jacked up mazda 6 hatchback for easier ingress/egress ,ground clearance and sleeker lines while still having some cargo capacity and something that still doesn't look like a station wagon(not that the cx-5 does).What'd Mick Jagger say? "ya can't always get what ya want".

Eh. I just don't like the exterior styling of the 2017 CX-5. The more videos I watch, the more I think they ruined the look. (shrug). I mean it overall looks the same, but subtle design like the "swoop" on the side profile (now gone) rustles my jimmies. I loved the way the CX-5 window line and that "swoop" in the body slightly moved up as it went rearward. Now it's just a straight line.

I always thought the 2013-2016s were absolutely beautiful.

Maybe I just need to see one that is Black like mine. :)

Last edited:
paris1 and dougal---agree with your comments.I really didn't need the bulkier cuv/suv rear end.I really would have liked a jacked up mazda 6 hatchback for easier ingress/egress ,ground clearance and sleeker lines while still having some cargo capacity and something that still doesn't look like a station wagon(not that the cx-5 does).What'd Mick Jagger say? "ya can't always get what ya want".
Well you can if you live in China. It's called the CX-4!!

Oh well, FARKED again.Why does the the rest of the world get additional automotive offerings not available in the U.S.? Thanks paris1.

Has anyone been able to confirm the driver seat memory?

http://blog.caranddriver.com/redesi...ng-and-a-better-standard-engine-for-910-more/

Finally, the CX-5 most buyers choose: the Grand Touring. At $30,355, the GT adds a lot of equipment that is optional on the Touring, including 19-inch wheels, automatic and adaptive headlights, LED fog lights, heated side mirrors, rain-sensing windshield wipers, a power liftgate, and a sunroof. Inside, the Grand Touring has an eight-way power driver’s seat, auto-dimming mirrors, a Bose 10-speaker audio system, navigation, leather seat surfaces, adaptive cruise control, lane-departure warning with lane-keeping assist, higher-speed automatic braking, and automatic high-beam control. For $1830, buyers can add the Premium package to get the windshield de-icer, a heated steering wheel, heated rear seats, a six-way power passenger seat, two-position driver’s memory, and a full-color head-up display.

Eh. I just don't like the exterior styling of the 2017 CX-5. The more videos I watch, the more I think they ruined the look. (shrug). I mean it overall looks the same, but subtle design like the "swoop" on the side profile (now gone) rustles my jimmies. I loved the way the CX-5 window line and that "swoop" in the body slightly moved up as it went rearward. Now it's just a straight line.

I always thought the 2013-2016s were absolutely beautiful.

Maybe I just need to see one that is Black like mine. :)

In one of the many videos on here the talking head said they took the swoop out and put the window chrome strip on the bottom part of side windows only and leaned the windscreen back to lower the centre of gravity in the design.

I think they nailed it but I agree if it was lowered a bit then it would look sweeter but you are defeating the purpose.

Back