• Support M247: Allow Ads or Register (fewer ads)

2017~2022 Strange Oil Change problem - can't read the dipstick properly, low oil level warning

yrwei52

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech Pkg
Contributor
:
Plano, Texas, USA
Yes, the manual indicates an oil level issue which is the only issue and owner can affect. However, how do you think they measure the oil level in a running engine that has the oil sloshing around from curves and start stops? I believe it is done by measuring the oil pressure. Where is the oil pressure light/gauge that is standard on other autos? Put an OBD Scanner on it and see what the oil pressure is when the light is on and off and I think you will see that the light responds to oil pressure.
Later MY gen-2 CX-5’s, I believe starting from 2018 CX-5 2.5L with CD, and 2019 CX-5 2.5T turbo, have both Low Oil Pressure Warning Light and Low Oil Level Warning Light in dash.
attachment.php

View attachment 221577

Avoidin Deer

Zoom Zoom, baby
Contributor
:
Central Virginia
:
2019 CX-5 Reserve
Yes, the manual indicates an oil level issue which is the only issue and owner can affect. However, how do you think they measure the oil level in a running engine that has the oil sloshing around from curves and start stops? I believe it is done by measuring the oil pressure. Where is the oil pressure light/gauge that is standard on other autos? Put an OBD Scanner on it and see what the oil pressure is when the light is on and off and I think you will see that the light responds to oil pressure.
The CX-5 does not have an oil pressure sensor. It has a Low pressure switch in it, but not one that measures actual pressure.

I found this out after I bought an OBD2 reader and software. I specifically wanted to add oil pressure to an "extended dash" on my tablet, and it is not an available data point.

yrwei52

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech Pkg
Contributor
:
Plano, Texas, USA
The CX-5 does not have an oil pressure sensor. It has a Low pressure switch in it, but not one that measures actual pressure.

I found this out after I bought an OBD2 reader and software. I specifically wanted to add oil pressure to an "extended dash" on my tablet, and it is not an available data point.
Strangely I have trouble to find the low oil pressure sensor, which usually located near oil filter housing. Based on your finding, I wonder if there’s none actually? The oil pressure gauge uses the different resistance signal outputted from low oil pressure sensor. Mazda may use some other way such as getting some signal from Oil Control Valve, P/N: PE0114440A ?

Avoidin Deer

Zoom Zoom, baby
Contributor
:
Central Virginia
:
2019 CX-5 Reserve
Strangely I have trouble to find the low oil pressure sensor, which usually located near oil filter housing. Based on your finding, I wonder if there’s none actually? The oil pressure gauge uses the different resistance signal outputted from low oil pressure sensor. Mazda may use some other way such as getting some signal from Oil Control Valve, P/N: PE0114440A ?
I asked Chris where he pulled the pressure from for the gauge array he has in his CX-5. He uses an aftermarket adapter ring that goes between the filter and the engine block.

Interesting thought you have. So perhaps the pressure is being sent to the computer.

I'll have to do some searching on OBD software forums to see if others have found a way to get to this. I dropped it when (1) I was told there is no oil pressure sending unit, and (2) Mazda was slow in providing the 2019 MY data to ScanTool. (I just looked, the extra-cost 2019 Mazda-specific PIDS were just rolled out by them last month.)

Thanks, cz5gt & Christopher! I'll just dump the rest of the jug in. After doing my own servicing of my wife's 2010 3S and my former 2011 3i Touring, this new car is very complicated - 600+ page owners manual? I had to find a web-based one that was searchable.
My owners manual (2020 cx5 2.5L) says 4.8 quarts with a filter change. I too would like to put 5.5 quarts in though am hesitant to do so. From the factory it was just above the halfway mark.

:
2017 CX-5 GS AWD
Do the 5.5 qt because it will still be hair below the full line when checked cold. Done it more times than I can count.

:
CX5 GT
I've always put 5 quarts. About mid level between low and high on the oil stick. Cant be bothered with 0.5 qrts extra.
No issues whatsoever but I also change oil early too because I dont drive much so no fillups between changes needed.