Straight pipe reviews, CX-90 inline 6 vs PHEV vs Telluride

:
2018 CX-9 GT
Posting this here because they just posted their review of the PHEV. I think combined with their previous video of the inline 6 vs the telluride this makes it a pretty complete set of reviews, altough i am still looking forward to savagegeese review to come out on it.

The other thing they didn’t mention is the EV incentives. If we factor in the government EV incentives (in Canada), then the PHEV becomes a pretty good value proposition.

Inline 6 vs telluride

PHEV

I am also looking forward to seeing the Savagegeese review. I notice a comment in a recent review from savagegeese that they are working on the CX-90 review and they expect it to be an hour long review.

Posting this here because they just posted their review of the PHEV. I think combined with their previous video of the inline 6 vs the telluride this makes it a pretty complete set of reviews, altough i am still looking forward to savagegeese review to come out on it.

The other thing they didn’t mention is the EV incentives. If we factor in the government EV incentives (in Canada), then the PHEV becomes a pretty good value proposition.

Inline 6 vs telluride

PHEV

What is interesting is that in Canada, the PHEV is more expensive than the Turbo S, while in the USA, it is almost $4K cheaper.

i did mention in another post that the US pricing is significantly more expensive than in Canada. Without diving down in the pricing, i am guessing that the difference is not that the PHEV is more expensive in Canada, but rather that the Turbo S and up are more expensive in the US than in Canada.

It has been interesting, because a lot of comments around the CX-90 is that 60 000$ is too much, where as in Canada it is actually priced in line with Honda pilot, kia telluride, etc.

If an american could buy a CX-90 in Canada (without custom fees), they would save a lot of money on a top trim CX-90.

Link to that other price comparison post:
Post in thread 'CX-90 Reviews are out'
https://mazdas247.com/forum/t/cx-90-reviews-are-out.123879051/post-6779491

Two important point to consider for US buyers…

If Mazda can profitably sell Japan built CX90s in Canada at those lower prices, it strongly suggests they are purposely overpriced in the US. Apparently there is already price pushback, so this can’t last.

The tax credit is also an important issue that could render the PHEV dead on arrival in the US. No credit combined with no significant fuel economy improvement at the same price as the I-6 makes the PHEV a hard sell.

I know this is misunderstood, but PHEV are not really about significant fuel economy improvements. They are about going from point a to point b without using fuel, plus the way they are designed now you also get more power out of them. I know Canada is a different market, but PHEVs here are in high demand. In addition, in Canada the government incentives is based on battery size. A regular hybrid battery is too small for the full incentive m, a PHEV can usually get the full incentive.

Where I live, with the 7500$ incentive, I can get the power and higher trim equipment from a CX-90 PHEV for the price of lower trim inline 6.

But you are right, obviously the big market is the united states, and the fact that japan build vehicles are not eligible to any incentive will make the use case for the PHEV harder to sell……unless the high output inline 6 is marked up way above the PHEV….

Back