Steering Wheel Vibration

Hi All,
Just a quick question about steering wheel vibration. Now, I could be just paranoid, but lately my 2019 CX 5 with 4k miles on it seems to have a very slight vibration feeling in the steering wheel. Seems to happen at 55 mph and I never noticed it before. If I take my hands off of the wheel, I can't actually see it moving and I think it actually comes and goes. I was actually thinking it might be road conditions since the roads here in Naples FL seem to be quite bumpy.

Anyway, just wondering if this is "normal" or should I take it in to get checked.

Thanks,
Matt

I’d check the balance of the wheels to be on the safe side. Vibration in the steering wheel at higher speeds could be the wheels out of balance.

Sure sounds like a wheel balance issue,might of thrown a weight off a wheel.Ive had no less than 5 new cars since 1999 and the steering/turning in my CX-5 is by far the best yet.

Could also be bad tires. My Dealer replaced mine because the road force numbers were so bad. This was after the switched wheels and tires de another vehicle.

The second gen cx5 is also quite sensitive to any imbalance or tire imperfections.

Thanks for the replies. I'll probably have the tires checked when I take it in for my first scheduled maintenance. I'm actually thinking it's the roads because if I put my hand on the top part of the steering wheel when driving I don't feel anything, only when my hand is on the bottom.

It has probably been happening since I got the car, I just stress over ever little thing :)

take a quick look at your passenger seat when no one is in it when going over 60. Does it look like it’s about I vibrate off the floor boards?

I have had vibration issues with several cars.
It seems rotating things are sensitive. Still my last three cars had NO vibration.

A friend tipped me about one mysterious vibration. He spotted the right rear bouncing while cruising.

Swapping wheels is a good way to isolate the problem and it motivates me to acquire one or more OEM type wheels for testing

Thinking back I wonder if I should have taken my new cars back to a tire outlet instead of the dealer because tires are under the tire company' s warranty. The Mazda dealer is in the position of sort of a 'middleman'.

This is a common issue with this generation CX-5. Mazda even put out a TSB about it. They say it has to do with tire balance, but I think there is an underlying issue with the design of the vehicle (maybe rigid mounting the steering wheel is the cause) that makes it extremely susceptible to slight wheel balance issues that wouldn't be a problem on most cars. I had vibration issues with my CX since new to the point the wheel was physically shaking if I took my hands off it and no number of balances has ever gotten it to completely go away, rather just reduce it, but I can still definitely feel a vibration through the wheel. I don't notice this in my other car at all.

This is a common issue with this generation CX-5. Mazda even put out a TSB about it. They say it has to do with tire balance, but I think there is an underlying issue with the design of the vehicle (maybe rigid mounting the steering wheel is the cause) that makes it extremely susceptible to slight wheel balance issues that wouldn't be a problem on most cars. I had vibration issues with my CX since new to the point the wheel was physically shaking if I took my hands off it and no number of balances has ever gotten it to completely go away, rather just reduce it, but I can still definitely feel a vibration through the wheel. I don't notice this in my other car at all.
This is actually really good to know and makes me feel better. I can totally live with it as is, I was just worried that something could have been wrong.

Thanks,
Matt

Maybe the Mazda sport tuned suspension?
I think if your steering wheel really 'shakes' (as opposed to a minor tremble that could be road surface) you have out of balance/round tires.

Other than if your car is more than a few weeks old the dealer might try to appease you with re-balances but if you really need replacement tires I think you might have to deal with Toyo or Yokohama.

Maybe the Mazda sport tuned suspension?
I think if your steering wheel really 'shakes' (as opposed to a minor tremble that could be road surface) you have out of balance/round tires.

Other than if your car is more than a few weeks old the dealer might try to appease you with re-balances but if you really need replacement tires I think you might have to deal with Toyo or Yokohama.

I dealt with it 3 years ago when I first bought the car and finally gave up. Originally the dealer re-balanced it twice, then swapped the wheels and tires off another brand new one that was on the lot. Still did it. The dealer even got corporate involved. Like I said, after tons of re-balancing and making sure they got the tollerances as low as possible the physical shaking went away, but I could still feel something and it wasn't riding as well as my 2014 did. Eventually they just told "it's normal". They definitely have something going on because they put this out: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/MC-10154139-9999.pdf

They wouldn't have put out a TSB if there weren't a lot of complaints and dealers without a hunter road force might not be able to get the tolerances tight enough to stop vibrations.

Just something else to try that costs nothing, (if you can do your own work) to very little. Remove each wheel, one at a time and clean (wire brush) the mating surfaces, (back of the wheel and the brake rotor) so they mate evenly. When you put the wheel back on, wiggle it on until you feel the wheel seat on the rotor, solid and flat. The wheel needs to be absolutely flat against the rotor. While holding this in place, screw on the lug nuts in the proper pattern snug enough to keep the wheel flat against the rotor. Properly torque the nuts in the proper pattern. Hub centric wheels can be sensitive if not absolutely flat on the rotor and/or the lug nuts are not properly torqued. This procedure has helped more than once on the 2 Escapes the wife and I had and her current CX-5.

According to the tsb, a roadforce balancer machine as hunter gsp9700 should do the balance more efficiently.
This machine and balance seems to involve moving the tire placement to a specific spot on the rim to achieve the best balance.
Worth a try. Discount tire seems to offer this type of balancing.

This is actually really good to know and makes me feel better. I can totally live with it as is, I was just worried that something could have been wrong.

Thanks,
Matt
I wouldn't.

Take it in to have it looked at. It's not just a matter of comfort. You don't want your new car to be subject to perpetual vibrations like that. Low-level vibrations can loosen up all sorts of stuff. If there's an issue, get it logged early.

This is a timely thread. I just had my tires rotated this morning. Now I'll pay particular attention to the ride.

I noticed the same thing as you on our 2018 CX5 when new. A very very slight sensation of vibration at highway speed. It was so slight I did not do anything and with time it has gone away on its own.

Mazda checked it out and said that everything is normal. Actually the loaner they gave me did the exact same thing. So I'm guessing it's the roads out here.

Mazda checked it out and said that everything is normal. Actually the loaner they gave me did the exact same thing. So I'm guessing it's the roads out here.
I drove 3 band new cx5s back to back and they all had a vibration. Mazda put Michelins on mine and it went away.

Its back with my winter setup

Back