Steel wheels for winter 2021 CX-9 Sport

Hi all, I'm looking to find a budget winter tire/wheel option, and worst case I'll just grab the cheapest Blizzak package I can on Tire rack (~$1650 shipped) but I was hoping to get some 17 inch steel wheels a lot cheaper than the ~$200/each aluminum alloy ones on there. I found one or two on tire buyer that I hoped would fit some 245/65/17 Blizzak's but I'm not sure what considerations to think about outside of diameter and width. Do I just need to match bolt pattern?

I think 17" might be the smallest you can go with the front brake clearance on the CX-9. You'll want to pay attention to the rim width and the offset as well. If you can match both to the original rim width and offset, you shouldn't have any issues with fitment, and the car should handle the mostly same as before, with the only differences coming from the taller sidewall and tire choice.

I suggest using wheel-size.com's tire calculator to figure out your options. You can plug in your existing wheel setup, then plug in what you're thinking of getting, and compare the two setups to see where there may be differences.

Based on the above, if you get steel wheels that are 17x8 with a +45 offset, you can put 245/65/17s on them with no issues. Oh, and make sure the center bore is the same as the OEM wheel as well (67.1mm).

I think a larger center bore is OK. Our wheels are lug-centric, centered by the tapered lug nuts. (Toyota alloy wheels, for example, are hub-centric, centered by the hub, and need the correct centerbore or adapters.)

I'm running 17" Kia alloy wheels which I happened to have and that have the correct lug bolt circle,
lug diameter, and offset; works fine.

Hi all, I'm looking to find a budget winter tire/wheel option, and worst case I'll just grab the cheapest Blizzak package I can on Tire rack (~$1650 shipped) but I was hoping to get some 17 inch steel wheels a lot cheaper than the ~$200/each aluminum alloy ones on there. I found one or two on tire buyer that I hoped would fit some 245/65/17 Blizzak's but I'm not sure what considerations to think about outside of diameter and width. Do I just need to match bolt pattern?

I just got a set of Blizzak DMV2 245/70R/17 on 17" hubcentric rims (5x114.3 pattern) for $1430 CAD. Now of course, I live in a big city so I have the luxury of just driving over to the shop to pick it up.

On the invoice, the rims were listed at $80.75 CAD unit price.

For my CX-5, I bought a 17" Kia Sorento rim to be a fullsize spare from junkyard when I run my 17" BBS rims(as it almost looks like my BBS rims). You can get Kia Sorento alloy rims at salvage yards for approx. $65 as they are plentiful. Check the offset..it should be 47 which will work. It fits perfectly on my CX-5...just check your brake clearance...maybe buy 1 at junkyard, ask them to hold the other 3. Go home , and make sure brakes clear and then buy the other 3. Salvage Rims are returnable if it doesn't fit.
Also, most(not all) junkyards test the rims for trueness on a machine and won't sell bent rims. You can test yourself by rolling rim on flat floor or jack up and check with screwdriver while spinning rim.

Last edited:
Back