Starting problems

mazdaspeedp

Contributor
:
2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege
I was wondering if anyone has had similar issues before?Sometimes my msp wont start up all the lights come on but the car wont turn over. Car has 250000 km original motor. Just had alternaor replaced also new battery. I think it might be the ignition switch? Anyone had a similar problem? And does anyone have pictures how to replace the ignition switch? Thanks.

ignition switch, or any number of relays...

what exactly happens when you turn the key to crank the engine? Do accessories like the stereo turn off for cranking like normal? Do you hear a very fast 'clicking' sound (not starter click from a dead battery, but an electrical click...relays often do this)?...

Someone just last week was having a similar issue with a bad alternator...I'm not sure if he figured it out yet either, but we were narrowing it down to a specific relay...

One thing, that is probably obvious...nothing happened with the alarm, right? you haven't attempted to start it without disarming or something? Some members have had some goofy electrical issues where the alarm wouldn't click off even with unlocking the door...and thus...no start...but, i'd imagine you'd be aware if that red light was blinking right in your face non-stop haha...

replace your starter
if that doesn't fix it at least you know it's not your starter

i had starting troubles before... car would start sometimes and sometimes it wouldn't
turn the key... click... nothing
turn the key... click... vroom vroom
turn the key... click... vroom vroom

you get the idea
replaced the starter... problem solved... at least for me

ignition switch, or any number of relays...

what exactly happens when you turn the key to crank the engine? Do accessories like the stereo turn off for cranking like normal? Do you hear a very fast 'clicking' sound (not starter click from a dead battery, but an electrical click...relays often do this)?...

Someone just last week was having a similar issue with a bad alternator...I'm not sure if he figured it out yet either, but we were narrowing it down to a specific relay...

One thing, that is probably obvious...nothing happened with the alarm, right? you haven't attempted to start it without disarming or something? Some members have had some goofy electrical issues where the alarm wouldn't click off even with unlocking the door...and thus...no start...but, i'd imagine you'd be aware if that red light was blinking right in your face non-stop haha...

well i havent had the shock sensor plugged in for a couple years now so i dont think its a problem with the alarm but its possible.what happens is all the lights turn on like normal and i hear the fuel pump go on but the starter wont turn over.iknow its not the starter though because if i connect a booster pack it starts no problem.

Ok just talked to the asshole stealership. It was the bracket on my clutch switch it was bent in a way that was not allowing it to make contact with the clutch pedal. Now i just have to fight with them to get my money back for the alternator i dident need.dumbasses were gonna try and sell me a starter too.

I wonder if this is why my car won't start... I might try to check it tomorrow night after work... it would be REAL nice if it is this easy...

Back