Start-X Remote start review (2019 CX-9 GT)

:
2019 CX-9 GT
Installed Start-X remote start from Amazon 2 weeks ago. It's been really great. There's videos on YouTube on how to ok install.

2019 CX-9 GT

The reason I picked this is because programing was easy and drive off was just press brake pedal and put in gear.

For programing, it's as simple as press to on and it starts auto programing. And that's it.

I put the module by the fuse panel by the foot rest on the floor. Fed the wires thru there. Very easy to do and access if needed. I didn't fasten it down. Just jammed it between body and plastic panel there.

You press lock 3 times to start or stop. It will unfold Mirrors and start but remain locked. Just unlock when you get in.

Cons...
Once remote started, radio doesn't start until you get in and press brake pedal.
When you press brake pedal, the electronics do a restart. Engine doesn't turn off, but air Turns off and starts back up immediately. Not a big issue.
Tpms light flashes until you press brake pedal after remote start. Not a big deal.
After remote start, remote can unlock the car but trunk doesn't open with remote. Works with trunk button. I need to test this more.

It's $180 it's well worth it especially in cold or hot places.

Start-X Remote Starter for Mazda...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Last edited:
Great review!

I have self installed the fortin evo one and it works in a similar fashion, but the electronic doesn’t restart when you get in. With the Fortin, when you get in after remote start, you press the start-button once and then drive off as usual, electronic does not shut down. Hitting the brake without pressing the start button first however will shut down the engine and everything else.

The rear hatch behaviour is the same. You cannot use the remote to open the rear hatch when the engine is remote started, the car must be designed that way.

I have set my remote start combination to lock-unlock-lock. This prevents the car from honking when remote starting.

Yea looks very similar for fortin but slightly different functionality. That seems good that it doesn't kill electronics when you get in. Yeah hatch seems to be car safety feature I guess so you don't accidentally hit it while in the car. Donno.

Good idea on lock unlock lock.

Great review!

I have self installed the fortin evo one and it works in a similar fashion, but the electronic doesn’t restart when you get in. With the Fortin, when you get in after remote start, you press the start-button once and then drive off as usual, electronic does not shut down. Hitting the brake without pressing the start button first however will shut down the engine and everything else.

The rear hatch behaviour is the same. You cannot use the remote to open the rear hatch when the engine is remote started, the car must be designed that way.

I have set my remote start combination to lock-unlock-lock. This prevents the car from honking when remote starting.
Would Love to see if it could replace the my maxda app remote start in cx-5’s that kills power when the door is
Opened

Would Love to see if it could replace the my maxda app remote start in cx-5’s that kills power when the door is
Opened
Yea should. You can still install this and use the remote buttons to start the car instead. Still working like a champ in this heat wave after many years

Uninstalled my fortin after learning it completely resets the ECU everytime you use it and clears the readiness monitors. That is insane. No way it needs to do that. Garbage electronics. Looking for a new option.

I briefly had a Fortin as well. I failed in just 28 days. Luckily I was able to uninstall it and get my money back.

They're junk.

Uninstalled my fortin after learning it completely resets the ECU everytime you use it and clears the readiness monitors. That is insane. No way it needs to do that. Garbage electronics. Looking for a new option.
Did you disconnect the battery? This would do so but it will readapt in less than 100 miles.

Only disconnected on the initial install. I periodically use my xtool scanner to check for DTCs, history and live data and it has been cleared everytime I check.
Ahh I see so when you turn off the car it kills ECU power. That's trash. I've never had this issue with the startx module. I also scan my car periodically.

Ahh I see so when you turn off the car it kills ECU power. That's trash. I've never had this issue with the startx module. I also scan my car periodical

Ahh I see so when you turn off the car it kills ECU power. That's trash. I've never had this issue with the startx module. I also scan my car periodically.
Everytime the remote start is used, it does that to the ECU. Absolute trash.

I am thinking about installing this since winter is coming (GOT fans)?! For $250 on Amazon, I think it’s a great deal. As far as the reviews go, some say hold the brake for 6 seconds.
What is the proper procedure from folks that have the Start-x modules?
Do I have to unlock using the key fob or can I also unlock with the door buttons?

I am thinking about installing this since winter is coming (GOT fans)?! For $250 on Amazon, I think it’s a great deal. As far as the reviews go, some say hold the brake for 6 seconds.
Do I have to unlock using the key fob or can I also unlock with the door buttons?
Once the car engine is remote started by pressing lock 3 times, it will automatically lock. Then You can unlock from remote or door exterior button. Get in with key in pocket or on you. Press and hold the brake pedal till the electronics come on while the engine stays running and drive off

Once the car engine is remote started by pressing lock 3 times, it will automatically lock. Then You can unlock from remote or door exterior button. Get in with key in pocket or on you. Press and hold the brake pedal till the electronics come on while the engine stays running and drive off
Thank you sir! I will purchase the lock unlock lock combo module since my neighbors are close by and hate to be that neighbor waking everyone up.

No, don't. Keep checking Best Buy. I got my iDataStart with 6,000 foot 2 way remotes (yes, more than a mile!) installed by them for on sale for $299.

Spend the extra $50 and have them do it. You won't be sorry.

No, don't. Keep checking Best Buy. I got my iDataStart with 6,000 foot 2 way remotes (yes, more than a mile!) installed by them for on sale for $299.

Besides the range, is there any other benefit? I just looked and these are going for $450 after a $200 Black Friday discount. I just really need this to start the car while its sitting in the driveway.

Does this system kill power to the ECU, as well?

Other set ups people mentioned that some vendors do, and I will wait for a better seamless integration if it does…..even if I have to kill a spare key.

Does this system kill power to the ECU, as well?

Other set ups people mentioned that some vendors do, and I will wait for a better seamless integration if it does…..even if I have to kill a spare key.
Absolutely not. It's that piece of crap Fortin that does that. Plus, if you hit the brake pedal before anything else when you get it, the engine doesn't turn off.

Absolutely not. It's that piece of crap Fortin that does that. Plus, if you hit the brake pedal before anything else when you get it, the engine doesn't turn off.
Got it, iData start 6,000 foot 2 way remote start from Best Buy.

If still on sale, I will probably get it for 2 different vehicles 😀

Good thing about Best Buy doing the install, is that if either vehicle is sold, that remote start is coming out and with me to the next vehicle. $50 is a bargain, and no way I would get it going as quick.

THANKS YOU, and HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

Latest posts

Back