Squeaky brakes when wet

djghia

:
'07 Phantom Blue Sport, '62 VW Karmann Ghia vert
So, the brakes are good, but squeak like crazy when the 5 sits over night and it is wet outside or the car was driven in damp weather. Especially bad in reverse coming out of the garage first thing in the morning. Neighbors think it is the garbage truck or UPS on the street! Have tried sanding the rotors and pads to no avail. Starting to wonder if perhaps the pads were replaced with metallic instead of ceramic composition units. Anyone else run into this issue? Dave J

Decided that I can't live with the squeakiest brakes on the street, so I have ordered the Prostop drilled and slotted rotors along with their ceramic pads for the front. I will keep you all posted as to whether this resolves my issue. Dave J

Rears don't seem to be noisy, I did install Wagner ceramic pads on the rear shortly after buying the 5. Part of why I suspect metallic composition front pads were installed at some time in the past. Dave J

Got the new brake parts installed today. Have to wait for crappy weather to see if problem has been resolved! Dave J
2014-01-16100634_zpsa4fe2036.jpg

2014-01-16100643_zpse582d1ae.jpg

2014-01-16101328_zps9d8a9eac.jpg

Old brakes
2014-01-16103514_zps1fb5776e.jpg

New brakes

This may seem like a dumb question but...did you try greasing the old brake pads? I don't see any grease on the back of your new pads either.

This may seem like a dumb question but...did you try greasing the old brake pads? I don't see any grease on the back of your new pads either.

This might be true if not for "Squeaky brakes when wet". Squeaky breaks due to lack of grease does not go away until you reapply grease or realign/rebed whatever it is that's off.

There is actually some truth to this (done it myself)
x2 Or the car has awesome race pads which are known to squeel until they are up to temp.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back