Sportshift help! Not shifting down.

that70machine

:
2002 Mazda Protege5
Hello everyone.
I know the majority of you have manuals, but I just wanted to throw this one out there in case there is anyone experienced with sportshifts. The one redeeming quality to my auto is the sportshift feature, which keeps the drive fairly entertaining (although my left foot still gets bored). Lately it hasn't been downshifting when I slap it to "-", although the "+" always works perfectly. The downshift works only sometimes, but it's been getting worse over the past few days. I'm thinking the switch is going bad, but maybe there's more to it than just the switch. Maybe it's something in the tranny. Leaving it in full auto is boring and it's drivin me nuts. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and happy Friday! (rockon)

There is a speed sensor on top of the tranny that could be the issue but I changed that when I first had issue with mine doin this and it made no difference. I guess that whatever electronic part in the center console that tells the transmission change gears up or down may have some dust or crap on it or not be positioned like it was when new. Not thinking cable adjustment because this just goes from auto to manual mode and the cable would be issue shifting from rev or park to drive as well. I would have to go into console and make sure no crap on the switch in there that tells the tranny + or - just happened. I didn't really find anything crazy in there but cleaned stuff off anyway and it has been fine for long time now. Of course it isn't my daily driver any more so miles pile up slow. It seems to be acting fine lately. Just did a 200 mile drive a week ago and it performed flawlessly. I used a mix or auto and sportauto and it never missed a shift. I would try downshifting it a little easier at less rpm too. That is where mine had most issues with this. I have adjusted my use of downshifting to be a bit friendlier and the car seems to be appreciative of it..............

I've never cleaned that area, so that'll be my first shot at getting it to shift properly. Might very well be full of dirt and grime, so I'll try that and cross my fingers that it works out. Thanks!

Cant'remember exactly how the "switch" is in there as far as it's orientation to the shifter but there is something that needs to be clean and positioned correctly for the shifter moving back and forth to actuate the gear changes. Also can't remember if that part is part of the whole shifter unit or if it could be had seperately. Been awhile since I messed with mine and may be getting confused somewhat by my daughter's shifter issues in her Tribute. Hers was gear lock switch and that was part of the whole shifter.

Back