speed-related ticking from left rear wheel

I really hope it's a dust shield! Did you notice any vibrations in the steering at all with the shield? I know I had bent one on accident before but the shop caught it when I took my car in for an alignment.

Then again, I don't think there's a dust shield on the front brakes....

I really hope it's a dust shield! Did you notice any vibrations in the steering at all with the shield? I know I had bent one on accident before but the shop caught it when I took my car in for an alignment.

Then again, I don't think there's a dust shield on the front brakes....

He said it sounded like it was coming from the rear, and there are fairly large dust shields back there... (There are in the front too actually... ) and no I didn't notice any vibration in the steering at the time I was having that problem.

Last edited:
i am having a similar issue seems to come from front left,a squeak. its at low speed left turns and braking. its doesnt pull to either side while braking and i recently had cv axles ect pulled while doing clutch. it sounds like a metal/metal rub but just ever so slightly, maybe wheel bearing dust cap was my thought.

any ideas?

i am having a similar issue seems to come from front left,a squeak. its at low speed left turns and braking. its doesnt pull to either side while braking and i recently had cv axles ect pulled while doing clutch. it sounds like a metal/metal rub but just ever so slightly, maybe wheel bearing dust cap was my thought.

any ideas?

We're all going to have to start swapping videos of our noises ;) lol

Alright just got back from the shop (Tires Plus) and they said nothing was wrong relating to the front brakes. They did note that my one of my rear brakes was missing some caliper hardware that keeps the pad in place, although it seems to be working fine so -meh-. Pad measurements showed that the left rear was at 406 versus 415 on the other side. Front right (the one I thought was squeaking) was at 985 versus 990 for the other side. I'm not sure what units of measurement they were using, but all 4 were marked in the green.

Also noted (and more importantly) was that my front sway bar bushings are bad, and this was what they thought was causing the squeaking. Does this seem right? I honestly don't know if that would be the cause, but seeing as they're the pros I take their word over mine. Most of the time, anyways. Nothing was said about the rotors being warped, so maybe I'll just have to check it out for myself.

I had this on my new (to me) 2007 Mazda5 right after I bought it... the break pad clip wasn't inserted properly (rear right wheel), sticking out too far, so it would click when the wheel turned but went away when pressing the brakes.

Last edited:
Aaah that would make sense in my case! I'm pulling my car into the campus auto lab so I'll be able to look at it then. It's on my list of things to do.

Another noteworthy point: I've noticed now that since taking my car to the shop and them removing my wheels to measure brake pad depth, my clicking/chirping noise is now down to just when I'm turning left. At least that's all I noticed yesterday. And I also noticed the deeper rubbing noise when braking too. Not sure if my shaking is there anymore, but I haven't really had a chance to find out.

Back