Sound deadening options and combinations?

If you want to do it right, you need to do three layers:
#1 the asphalt based dynamat type stuff that most people think of. Most of it is foil backed to block heat. This layer soaks up vibrations.
#2 closed cell foam. This layer soaks up high pitched noise
#3 mass loaded vinyl. This layer kills any additional noise that the dynamat and closed cell foam didn't get.

Do those three layers, and your car will be as quiet as a church.

I did this to my wife's Mazda5, and the outcome was incredible. Look for my name for pics of the install.

For the record, I used Killmat for the asphalt layer, Noico for the closed cell foam, and a generic MLV.

#1 the asphalt based dynamat type stuff that most people think of. Most of it is foil backed to block heat. This layer soaks up vibrations.
#3 mass loaded vinyl. This layer kills any additional noise that the dynamat and closed cell foam didn't get.

I did this to my wife's Mazda5, and the outcome was incredible. Look for my name for pics of the install.

For the record, I used Killmat for the asphalt layer, Noico for the closed cell foam, and a generic MLV.
Thank you. Never heard the term mass loaded vinyl before. Have to Google. The importance of doing the front doors has been mentioned, but how about back doors. Worth the effort on the CX-5?

Yes, do the front doors, the back doors, and don't forget to do the hatch door as well.

No smell issues at all with the Killmat.

I did both front doors but only one rear door. I can tell the difference when I thump the outside door panels. It's kind of hard to say how much overall improvement, though.

Ordering the Killmat today. Checking to see why you went with the 50 mil vs 80 mil.
It was cheaper, and since I was doing the other layers anyway, I just didn't see the need to spend extra money.

The whole point behind the asphalt based layer is to stop the sheet metal of the car's body from ringing. For that purpose, a little goes a long way. This is a fantastic example of how it really works.

It was cheaper, and since I was doing the other layers anyway, I just didn't see the need to spend extra money.

The whole point behind the asphalt based layer is to stop the sheet metal of the car's body from ringing. For that purpose, a little goes a long way. This is a fantastic example of how it really works.

Thanks, planning on the other layers also.

if its for the 17 model and down its a waste of time because the door glass is to thin and thats the main problem.the 17 and up models have thicker windows and better over all sound deadening.

if its for the 17 model and down its a waste of time because the door glass is to thin and thats the main problem.the 17 and up models have thicker windows and better over all sound deadening.
Completely disagree that it's a waste of time. The glass is also thin on my Mazda5, and my efforts made a HUGE difference.

i added additional rubber seals around all the doors and it did help but i realized the noise is coming from the side windows so now my car is quieter from the ground up to the windows wich made the noise focus in the window.it shuted the noise in one area only the accent it in another.basicly its best just to buy the 17 and up models which i plan on doind.the ride is much softer as well its just a better car evetho slightly slower(the n.a models)

its good but then u start hearing things u never heard before like very minor squeaks.this whole thing can drive u crazy.

Or when you start hearing things you never heard before like the very first words spoken on Pink Floyd's The Wall: "...we came in?"
;)

This is really the way. All 3 layers make cars amazingly quiet. I had a friend that went to town on a 2007 Toyota Yaris. You couldn't even hear the windshield wiper motor. It was really expensive Lexus quiet.

where did u put all those different material?
tnx

Back